The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 Not again.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mulv Posted - 02/05/2009 : 13:05:21
Right, well I'm a very unhappy bunny.

Sid fails to shed in one piece pretty much everytime despite my efforts, this time round was better than the others (he actually managed to get the head piece off himself).

I don't spray too much or bathe too much because the last time I did that, he developed an RI. Seems like this time it's come back, at first I thought it was just shed blocking his nose but he's keeping his head up by the vents in the faunarium and he's blowing bubbles.

Needless to say, I'm gutted because his temps are spot on, and his humidity isn't too high, because his shed went badly again.

Question is, I have some baytril left over from the last time he had it, so do I self-medicate? Or do I take him to the vets to see if theres something else causing the shed problems and the RI?

Last time I took him I got a fecal test done but nothing came back so I didn't worry... Is there anything (like parasites) that might be causing it? I can't see any mites and he was eating fine right up until he went into shed.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
reptiles-ink Posted - 05/05/2009 : 23:26:19
I would suggest seeing a vet.
Most respiratory infections in reptiles are usually the result of gram negative bacteria and may be eliminated with treatment of an antibiotic.
If the infection is viral in nature it is most likely that the condition will not improve without the use of proper diagnostic techniques and treatment.
Mulv Posted - 05/05/2009 : 19:51:47
Sweet I'll see if I can get hold of it, I'll carry on with the baytril for now, but can I use both simultaneously?
Gingerpony Posted - 04/05/2009 : 20:33:26
might as well try the Baytril first though as you've got it and it will go out of date (hopefully!) before you might need it again! F10 is more readily available, it's not POM so you don't have to have it prescribed by a vet.
wolfspirit Posted - 04/05/2009 : 19:26:07
quote:
Originally posted by Gingerpony

quote:
Originally posted by Mulv

...the original dosage marked on the bottle, which is 0.2 once a day, he has grown since then but I don't want to overdose him.

it's 0.2ml per kg so if he's now, for example, 1250g use 0.25ml, or 1500g use 0.3ml.
might be worth getting some F10 in if you can, i think WS had success nebulizing with it and putting a drop in P's nostrils.

yes i was using 1 drop per nostril daily...

1ml diluted in 125ml water

Reptiles ink on here can help you also, i believe F10 kills an ri faster than Baytril...

Gingerpony Posted - 04/05/2009 : 18:06:32
quote:

...the original dosage marked on the bottle, which is 0.2 once a day, he has grown since then but I don't want to overdose him.

it's 0.2ml per kg so if he's now, for example, 1250g use 0.25ml, or 1500g use 0.3ml.
might be worth getting some F10 in if you can, i think WS had success nebulizing with it and putting a drop in P's nostrils.
wolfspirit Posted - 04/05/2009 : 12:59:00
quote:

Yeah he does, he blows bubbles every now and then and when I gave him some baytril yesterday his mouth was full of bubbly mucus.

I'll try get a photo of him later or something.

Thanks Mulv, but dont do it if you think it is going to stress him..also if you do get one could you email it to me at

acfbates@btinternet.com

want it for this ri thingy i am trying to do...

thanks;-)
Mulv Posted - 04/05/2009 : 12:39:05
Yeah he does, he blows bubbles every now and then and when I gave him some baytril yesterday his mouth was full of bubbly mucus.

I'll try get a photo of him later or something.
wolfspirit Posted - 04/05/2009 : 10:47:13
quote:

Thanks for your help guys, yeah I still have the original dosage marked on the bottle, which is 0.2 once a day, he has grown since then but I don't want to overdose him.

I'll try for the usual ten days, but if not I'll go down the nebuliser route. Problem is, I go on holiday for a week soon... If I took him to a vet before I went do you think they would hold onto him til I got back? - Namely the one at pets at home in pompey if Paulus is watching lol.

Mulv, sorry to be a pain, but does he have mucus and bubbles?

i know it is not a good time but could you possibly take some shots of him with this without stressing him?
Mulv Posted - 04/05/2009 : 10:26:07
Thanks for your help guys, yeah I still have the original dosage marked on the bottle, which is 0.2 once a day, he has grown since then but I don't want to overdose him.

I'll try for the usual ten days, but if not I'll go down the nebuliser route. Problem is, I go on holiday for a week soon... If I took him to a vet before I went do you think they would hold onto him til I got back? - Namely the one at pets at home in pompey if Paulus is watching lol.
wolfspirit Posted - 03/05/2009 : 09:29:36
no i did them
Blackecho Posted - 03/05/2009 : 09:19:57
quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

1ml in 125ml = 4ml in 500ml

they never did that stuff when i was young..lol

Multiplication and division?
reptiles-ink Posted - 03/05/2009 : 01:22:46
I use it at about 1:150 but for general cleaning out you can use it at 1:500 or even 1:1000
At 1:150 you still get loads out of a bottle so I use it at that strength to be safe.
wolfspirit Posted - 02/05/2009 : 23:43:21
quote:

they never did that stuff when i was young..lol

at school we were not European we were British and learnt in pounds ounces and measurements were in feet and inches.....

Dave, what strength are you making up for cleaning vivs?

Just checking now that i am not making it to weak...
Blackecho Posted - 02/05/2009 : 22:38:09
wolfspirit Posted - 02/05/2009 : 22:32:08
quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by reptiles-ink

I use F10 for RI's.
I use 1 part F10 to 125 parts water and put it in a nebuliser.
I put the nebuliser in the viv pointing towards the snake 2 times a day.
Normally everythings back to normal in about 3 days but I keep nebulising for about another week to make sure.

Thanks for posting this,

just for other people who might be like me and not be able to work it out...
how much would you put in say a pint or 500 ml?

1:125 so 4:500

Thanks, you can tell where my head was in school cant you..lol..

daydreaming out the window...

just to make me look really thick, is that 4.5ml?
Blackecho Posted - 02/05/2009 : 22:24:21
quote:

quote:

I use F10 for RI's.
Normally everythings back to normal in about 3 days but I keep nebulising for about another week to make sure.

Thanks for posting this,

1:125 so 4:500
wolfspirit Posted - 02/05/2009 : 21:53:42
quote:
Originally posted by Paulusworm

Good luck MIKE.

EDIT: Wrong name. Senior moment. Sorry.

Maybe we should join the OAP club for snake owners..

i qualify cos i am miles older than you...
wolfspirit Posted - 02/05/2009 : 21:29:06
quote:

I use F10 for RI's.

Thanks for posting this,

reptiles-ink Posted - 02/05/2009 : 21:20:00
I use F10 for RI's.
Paulusworm Posted - 02/05/2009 : 20:07:33
Good luck MIKE. Fingers crossed for you mate.

EDIT: Wrong name. Senior moment. Sorry.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000