The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Retained eye caps

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
austin_89 Posted - 28/04/2013 : 20:17:45
Hi guys, Frankie has two eye caps stuck and i was wondering what the best methods are for getting them off?

Ive never dealt with it before so dont know the best way to go about it.

Thanks
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lotabob Posted - 29/04/2013 : 22:04:17
Using very low tack tape is an option but the eyecap has to be ready to come off using some sort of rehydration first or nothing short of a scalpel will shift it. Once it's ready to come off anything mildly gripping will take it off. Tape is not recommended anywhere near a snake but under strict control it could work but as to whether its any more efficient or quick at the actual removal part than simple friction I don't know. It's an interesting technique though, I'd be interested to see if anyone else has had success with it.
Mikeyboy1992 Posted - 29/04/2013 : 20:50:16
Iv had this a few times. Using warm water and cotton buds is a good idea but for me, it was too stressful for my snake. I thought long and hard about it but i looped some tape round my fingers and stuck it to the back of my hand to take some of the stick away and used that and it took the retained eye cap right off. Quick and easy for me and minimal stress for my snake. Hope this helps you a bit
Lotabob Posted - 29/04/2013 : 15:42:27
I have been told the best wy to get them off in a controlled and gentle manner is to use a rubber finger, the type you use for counting money. Visco tears is a good way to loosen them for removal too. Give the humidity rising a try first though, try 24 hours at high humidity and see if that loosens them, if not Visco tears it is.
herriotfan Posted - 29/04/2013 : 09:39:15
I'd up the humidity with hides, flannels, spraying etc for a couple of days before trying to remove them. The extra humidity will help loosen them, with any luck. You may even find that it eases them enough for your snake to rub them off by himself. Good luck.
austin_89 Posted - 28/04/2013 : 21:34:12
Ok thanks :)

And dont worry i have no idea what theyre called either lol
Fezza Posted - 28/04/2013 : 21:12:13
I used one of those cotton pads that the mrs uses to take her makeup off with. I'm sure there's a technical name for them but, it escapes me for now

Get it ringing wet with warm water and rub gentle over the eye cap. I've only needed to do this once and luckily it came right off. I guess giving the snake a warm bath before wouldn't go amiss either

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000