The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Royal
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Ernie The Chameleon.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
rustyp1974 Posted - 14/07/2014 : 14:44:13
Sadly we lost Ernie on Saturday afternoon. It all happened very quickly & came as quite a shock.
All was well until Friday afternoon when he suddenly lost the use of his back legs & tail. He had been feeding, pooing & peeing normally & his temps & humidity were spot on. At first I thought it was Metabolic Bone Disease but his legs were not curved & he was always given his Calcium & vitamins as normal. We got him to the vets on Saturday & she spent over an hour trying to find the problem. He had a small amount of blood seeping from his vent & we all thought he may have taken a fall & pulled himself back up with his front legs. X-rays revealed no broken bones & his bones looked strong & healthy. Unfortunately he was too small to take a blood sample & the vet thought the most likely cause was some kind of kidney infection or something parasitic. He was given a shot of antibiotics. I got him home & placed him in a smaller reptibreeze cage on a hammock of leaves closer to his UV & heat while I went to the pharmacy to collect the other medication. When I got back sadly he had gone.

As a precaution I have stripped out all of my snake & Beardie viv's/RUB's & F10'd everything to within & inch of its life just to be on the safe side.

RIP Ernie.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Redware Posted - 22/07/2014 : 18:49:44
Sorry to hear this
Alves76 Posted - 19/07/2014 : 17:00:58
Sorry to hear of your loss.
Baobab Posted - 19/07/2014 : 12:02:04
Sorry for your loss rusty.
rustyp1974 Posted - 18/07/2014 : 21:39:14
Thanks guys.

We were giving gut loaded crickets & hoppers & they were dusted with a calcium & Vit D3 supplement two or three times a week along with a vitamin mineral supplement once a week. Haven't got the tub handy but think it contained beta carotene (spelling)!
My Gf is absolutely gutted we lost him as he was her pet really & cant help feeling guilty that we did something wrong. I'm sure we looked after him fine, everything was sound with his set up & feeding but they are fragile creatures.
boomslang Posted - 18/07/2014 : 17:49:01
Sorry to hear this :( were you giving him the right lvls of vitamins? Ie Once/twice a month? and what vits were you using?Could have been an infection or a fall/

It's sad :( as you've not had him that long.
Lotabob Posted - 14/07/2014 : 14:46:51
Sorry for your loss.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000