The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 Pets at home

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Foremand Posted - 20/04/2013 : 18:02:18
Just been down there with partner n kids n saw they had a royal python. So I thought on my little experience I shall have a look.

To find all staff wasn't trained but one was comfortable to let me get one out. She opened the tank to find the royal under its hide. Or should I say the hide perched on top lol the snake was way to big for the hide. Got her/him out, I sexed it as a female. To find she was about 3 foot long n quite large. To which the assistant tells me she's 6 months old.

Does that seem right? She seems big for her/his size.

I'm only a novice but it just seems wrong. And none of the staff new anything.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lotabob Posted - 21/04/2013 : 13:35:57
I have to admit that when my local P@H started to stock snakes I was a little worried, I also gave my friend who is assistant manager at a different one some tips for non feeders and ways to shrink the internal dimensions of the coconut hides they use for smaller snakes. I have to say they are always clean, watered and look healthy, they are in tubs that are behind locked glass so knocking on the tubs can't occur. Massively overpriced but I actually like that their animals are priced high, only the keen will stump up the money. They make and sell the only food my wheat, egg, perservative, beef and pork intolerant dog can eat too so I can't thank them enough for that as before I was making him his own cooked dinners every night.

Reptiles are a fairly new venture and with time the business as a whole will learn the ropes and in the long run drive prices down, if you see something of concern, voice your opinion, not at an assistant but ask to speak to a manager, they have to take complaints seriously and then they will filter down the improvements required.
ShadEO9 Posted - 21/04/2013 : 13:24:37
I've come to learn that Pets@Home haven't a friggin clue when it comes to reptiles...

They even struggle to tell the difference in the frozen LABELED reptile foods, Seriously.

If it isn't fluffy and cuddly they tend to be useless IMO.
boomslang Posted - 20/04/2013 : 23:36:01
quote:
Originally posted by Pythonwizard

yeah i never liked pets at home they sell dead crickets at full price also all their products are extreamly overpriced

They use the high street 90% markup on prices and hope the local people don't know any better,business model :)
Pythonwizard Posted - 20/04/2013 : 22:50:40
yeah i never liked pets at home they sell dead crickets at full price also all their products are extreamly overpriced
boomslang Posted - 20/04/2013 : 20:42:24
I don't really go into pets at home that much :P to expensive,Never really had anything to complain about.They were willing to order me in right sized weaner rats,As my local shop were selling gaint rats as weaners etc.

Like i said,seen way more smaller shops with disgusting care and dirty vivs infested with mites.
Foremand Posted - 20/04/2013 : 20:20:28
Hey now all I need now is the good looks and I'm onto a winner haha

Dud the big red nose give away that I'm a clown lmao. I only go in there for dog n cat food. N for the kids to see the pets.
boomslang Posted - 20/04/2013 : 20:09:13
So only a novice,But sexed there snake and could tell it was 3 foot long by sight ;)

That member of staff is in the wrong anyway,Letting some random person mess with shop stock :P you could have been a total clown for all they knew :P

Yes not that great for selling repitles etc,and i'm sure we could all make a big list of things.

If you only wanted dog/cat food,horse stuff,toys etc etc the shops near me are clean and tidy and well laid out.
They put food in for the feeder bugs,my local one only has two reptile tanks :P But i've seen many many poor smaller rep shops,where staff have no clue and cages all full of week old poo etc.
Foremand Posted - 20/04/2013 : 19:57:17
Agh ok lmao
richard v Posted - 20/04/2013 : 19:50:59
No idea just asking the question that's all. Have seen some large males thinking they were females. The spurs are quite a good indicator though.
Foremand Posted - 20/04/2013 : 19:23:48
Only a visual look. At the probes at rear end. They was visible for its size. Unlike my male royal were they are protruded a bit.

Am I wrong in this?

And also with its size. Girth n length

Tell me if I'm wrong please
richard v Posted - 20/04/2013 : 19:13:38
quote:
Originally posted by Foremand

Just been down there with partner n kids n saw they had a royal python. So I thought on my little experience I shall have a look.

To find all staff wasn't trained but one was comfortable to let me get one out. She opened the tank to find the royal under its hide. Or should I say the hide perched on top lol the snake was way to big for the hide. Got her/him out, I sexed it as a female. To find she was about 3 foot long n quite large. To which the assistant tells me she's 6 months old.

Does that seem right? She seems big for her/his size.

I'm only a novice but it just seems wrong. And none of the staff new anything.

They do seem a little clueless sometimes, just out of interest how did you sex the snake ?
Foremand Posted - 20/04/2013 : 19:03:17
That's what I thought but they were all determined in the answer. They didn't no the sex or anything.
phlegmatical Posted - 20/04/2013 : 19:02:44
I went in a while ago just looking at cresties and the woman told me a single one MUST be keep in at least a 4ft high "tank", sprayed with water 4 times a day unless I got a mist machine and has to be fed crickets every day. When I told them they were wrong and their website even has the correct care information they refused to serve me! I complained via the website and never heard anything back. Havent been in since!
chrisc Posted - 20/04/2013 : 18:59:31
pet's at home haven't got a clue when it come's to reptile's or any animal to be honest.

3ft at 6 month's not a chance even a power fed snake wont get that size in 6 month's
Foremand Posted - 20/04/2013 : 18:03:39
Even there bearded dragons who seemed huge I was told are a few months old.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000