The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Royal
 Other Reptile Photos
 green iguana egg binding/egg retention issues

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
chrisc Posted - 17/04/2014 : 21:12:00
it's been an stressful, worrying and expensive few day's with jasmin but thought id share what happened as hopefully it will be of use to anyone owning a female iguana so they know what could happen during the breeding season.

one thing id say if your going through this is try not to panic too much as that wont help either of you.

right what happened.
i had been 50/50 weather jasmin was carrying egg's or not although there were a few sign's she could be, decreased appetite, lost a bit of weight on the back leg's and yellow in her urates

on saturday night/sunday morning jasmin layed one infertile egg but nothing more, she had a lay box and i gave her a warm bath to see if that helped but it didn't.
to be honest i should have taken her to the vet's on monday but was hoping a bigger lay box would entice her to lay, it didn't so off we went to the vet's tuesday evening for an xray which revealed a belly full of egg's

she was given an injection of oxytocin an calcium to get her laying, instructed to give her a bath when i got her home and she layed 2 egg's while in there

put her into the lay box but she decided to climb up an lay them on a shelf/in her food bowl

was up with her till 1am while she was laying an making sure she stayed hydrated by giving her a drink from the spray bottle when she wanted it.
she had layed 38 egg's when i thought she had finished but dropped 2 more.
one very exhausted iggy

bowl of egg's

after all this it was back to the vet's on wednesday for more xray's to check for any more egg's but thankfully she had got them all out naturally albeit with a little help.
waiting for my vet to email me the 2nd set of xray's an will post them up.

from these 2 pic's you can see how much it's really taken out of her laying all those egg's

now have a course of fortrum to give her every 3 day's just in case there's any possible infection where she had retained the egg's.

jasmin is now pretty much back to her usual self she's nice and active/alert plus has some of her appetite back so has been eating a bit so before long she will be nice an fat again.

it has definitely been an experience as was not expecting any possible egg's till june/july time but now i know roughly the time of year she's likely to lay i can make sure to up her calcium intake in the month's before hand an hopefully wont have too many issue's.

the main thing im very happy about is that she didn't need invasive surgery to remove the egg's and spay her as for me that would be the final resort to put her through that stressful procedure.

anyway that's what my last few day's has been about and hopefully this information will be of use to someone dealing with a female iggy during this time of year
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
chrisc Posted - 09/06/2014 : 05:35:58
yea thats the chest cavity almost full with them as well, the eggs would have been infertile so went straight in the freezer
Lotabob Posted - 09/06/2014 : 00:10:21
Thanks for sharing. Scary and fascinating. I can't believe how high the eggs are, I'd have never thought for a second that they would be so full.

Are you incubating or just scrapping the eggs?
chrisc Posted - 29/04/2014 : 05:43:56
i got the other xray's sent to me from the vet's yesterday so here is both xray
you can see just how much space the egg's were taking up

i have one more shot of antibiotic's to give her and one more dose of panacur and all should be sorted.

jasmin has definitely got her appetite back now and is starting to put some weight back on
chrisc Posted - 18/04/2014 : 08:14:29
yes it was a bit especially when sat in the vet's waiting to find out if the 2nd xray's came back clear
what actually sat there with finger's an toes crossed
Baobab Posted - 17/04/2014 : 23:11:11
You definitely had a stressful time there. Glad to hear it's over and she's okay.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000