The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Royal
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Audible Breathing Vs Respiratory Infection

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alves76 Posted - 10/08/2014 : 22:02:17
I posted this on a boa forum but want to see what you guys think cos I respect your views. So for those who have a boa, read on...

So the new boa that the missus doesn't like came to me 2 weeks ago. When I had him out at the start I could hear audible breaths (a bit like a sigh through the mouth) and I was told that's normal in bigger snakes. Makes sense - larger snake, larger lungs, larger volume of air being moved.

After a week in the cold side of his viv in blue with humidity between 58 - 64% RH I now notice the breaths are slightly different. They sound more like the sound if you exhale through your nose (you know the way exhaling through the nose has a slight whistle to it than sighing through your mouth). I'm questioning RI here. There's no mucus, bubbles, mouth breathing etc. and I wouldn't say it's a wheeze, but there is a slight whistle to the breaths so I'm wondering if it's the start of something. I'm thinking that a week in high humidity and low heat wouldn't have helped, but that's where he chose to be.

The reason why I wonder if it's a RI is because after the shed he refused a feed. He's only been here 2 weeks and shed during one of those weeks so I'm not sure if it's just stress of the move that's making him refuse.

Normal temps as as follows:

Hot side: 31-34ºC, cold side 26-27ºC Humidity around 50-60%RH.

I've increased the temps slightly in case it is an RI.

SO I've 2 questions...

1. Does this sound like the start of an RI (exhale through your nose and let me know if it sounds the same as your boa breathing).
2. Is veterinary inspection something to be sought immediately, or do I leave it a few days to see if the sound changes? I don't want to be stressing the snake more by taking it to the vet if it's nothing, but I don't want to be missing a chance to nip this in the bud.

Any advice?
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alves76 Posted - 12/08/2014 : 23:38:23
Thanks for that info Lotabob. I THINK he's OK. At least I'm keeping a close eye on him and any sign of anything that I'm not happy with and he'll be off to the vet.
Lotabob Posted - 12/08/2014 : 22:46:27
I have a dwarf (6 foot) Boa and she breathes like that and you can feel her breathe on you. If think if it sounds clear, no rattles, snuffles etc, no crusty nose, bubbly mouth or gaping then it's just them breathing heavier while they're being handled. As they do increase their breathing and heart rate while we are fussing them.
Alves76 Posted - 12/08/2014 : 18:18:29
Good advice Kelfezond.

I raised the temps a bit and it sounds back to normal again (give or take). I'm going to keep an eye on him for now and try a feed on Saturday. If he doesn't feed and there seems to still be a whistle then I'll pop over to the vet on Monday. Would be nice to know what to look for.

Funny you say about your experience. Hearing the snake breathe 'shocked' me. I don't hear a thing from my royal, although she's on 523g as of yesterday. Perhaps when she's bigger I'll hear her too.
Kelfezond Posted - 12/08/2014 : 17:08:31
Hey Alves.

This is interesting because I've had the same thing before, I was sure it was an RI only for my vet to tell me that it's just her breathing, £30 down the drain, however I don't mind spending £30 just in case and honestly a trip to the vets isn't really that much stress, my girl gets dragged out to meet children every month and it doesn't bother her so can't hurt to check, if you do however get her checked make sure you ask the vet to point out exactly what to look for inside the mouth so next time you can just pop her mouth open, check if it looks normal or not, that's all the vet will do :)

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000