The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Royal
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Temp Probes

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alves76 Posted - 30/10/2014 : 10:25:37
My royal python setup is fine, I have the probe beside the warm hide under the bulb and the temp is maintained fine.

However, for my boa, I had the same setup but cos he's so big when he moves everything moves with him, and at one point he moved the hide on top of the probe which caused the lamp to get really hot as it tried to maintain the heat that was being absorbed by the hide and never reaching the probe (if that makes sense).

My setup at the minute is such that the top of the hide is at 40ºC, but inside the hide is 31ºC. The probe is about a third of the way down the back side of the viv where the heat lamp is.

My question is, 31ºC is a sensible temperature, bit with the hide being 40ºC at the top is that too hot, and if so, what can i do to fix it if it is too hot?

The cold side is around 26ºC.

Any advice?
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alves76 Posted - 01/12/2014 : 10:52:18
Indeed - going to get a bigger rat during the week and feed again at the end of the week. The rat he took was only a large weaner.
boomslang Posted - 30/11/2014 : 12:49:42
There you go then :) seems all is well again :)
Alves76 Posted - 29/11/2014 : 07:54:11
I always do leave the prey in the viv overnight if they don't eat at first, but he never touched the mouse...

However, I offered him a small rat last night and he ate it. I am very happy now.
boomslang Posted - 29/11/2014 : 01:36:46
Might take some time to get over being taken to the vets,and messed around with etc.If he stuck at the mouse,did you try leaving it in his viv with him for awhile?
Alves76 Posted - 26/11/2014 : 13:46:44
last injection was about a week ago. Do you think it might take a while for him to come round following the last injection? Do you have any suggestions?

I saw on another forum about trying a mouse so I bought a jumbo mouse on Monday (boy they're small) and he struck at it but missed and then never bothered again.

I don't think the strike was defensive as he's never struck defensively before (with me or any food) so I'm hoping that perhaps he is starting to come round. We shall see.
boomslang Posted - 25/11/2014 : 21:07:24
when was his last injection?
Alves76 Posted - 23/11/2014 : 19:13:35
Temps seem to be ok now thanks, but he still hasn't eaten since August. He's been to the vet and had antibiotics for a ri that was barely noticeable. I've finished the last injections and still nothing. I'm wondering if he's going into hibernation mode.

He hasn't lost weight but gurgles a bit when I hold him. I think I've done everything I can. I'm just waiting and trying weekly.

He's just had a soak in reptoboost (as per vet's instructions). Maybe soon things will change. Perhaps I'll give him some turkey at Christmas.
boomslang Posted - 21/11/2014 : 00:13:33
No worries :) and anyluck ?
Alves76 Posted - 08/11/2014 : 11:10:38
thanks.
boomslang Posted - 06/11/2014 : 22:59:17
Yeah put the probe somewhere else,but ofc within range of the area you want at whatever temp.
Alves76 Posted - 03/11/2014 : 09:55:50
Thanks Chris. I'll try that.
chrisc Posted - 02/11/2014 : 07:04:49

This was giblets old setup when he was much smaller, the hide was just off to the side from under the bulb was set to about 30c directly under the ceramic
chrisc Posted - 02/11/2014 : 07:00:13
Id move the hide so its not directly under the bulb that way be can bask under the bulb or retreat to the hide nearby that will only be very slightly cooler

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000