The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Breeding
 Breeding Pair

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
crazysnakeman Posted - 20/12/2010 : 23:41:16
Heya, I rescued a boa and a female royal 3 months ago that were gonna be euthanased as ***ody wanted them - theres nothing wrong with them at all!

I already had a male, although hes very small, 3 ft and about 750 grams! hes tiny bless him..

Anyways, the royal I was given is roughly 4 ft, give or take an inch, and weighs about 1300 grams.

They have been living together the past 3 months - i dont have the money to keep them seperate, but i couldnt let her be euthanased, so It's more out of keeping her alive that shes living with him! I dont want to breed them as im at uni, but they arent giving me much of a choice! they appear to mate every 10 or so days, I have accidentally interupted them twice (they both looked a bit guilty) but during other copulations they have finished naturally.

I saw they were at it again last night, and was wondering how many copulations it usually takes for the female to become pregnant, and what the first obvious sign is - Ive been reading the ECO book, the complete ball python, and I think i understand that ovulation is the first sign, but what am I looking for, and if they are still at it like rabbits, does this mean shes not yet "pregnant"?

If they breed, they breed, i'll incubate the eggs and see what hatches! but like i said, im not doing it on purpose, I just cant afford the second (3rd if you include the one i had to get for the boa) viv..

They are both eating well - the male eats regulaly now that shes in the viv! he was so tempremental before.. the boa was pretty emaciated when I got her too, but shes doubled in body weight, but not grown an inch in length! just putting her muscle back on! being a bit over generous on food for the two of them as they both appear underweight - especially the boa, she was skin and bones.. anyways, i digress!

Any info would be appreciated!

cheers,
josh
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Benji54 Posted - 29/12/2010 : 10:33:33
nice one! glad you got that all sorted! :)
n/a Posted - 25/12/2010 : 22:59:11
Well, that's good, congrats and Merry Christmas, and hope they go on ok now.
crazysnakeman Posted - 25/12/2010 : 19:06:39
hey CoN, thanks for the offer! I would have been really really good, BUT, my parents got me a second hand rack system as a joint xmas/bday present! proper chuffed with it actually! The only one not in the racks is my hoggy - he has a planted viv that took me 5 months to set up to the point i was happy it fitted his criteria, to be a bit anthropomorphic, hes the most intelligent snake I have, gets bored easily, and enjoys things to do! I do alot of things for him in terms of enrichment with thermal gradients and smell enrichment just cos otherwise he starts "pacing" the front of his tank - when he was on aspen - and doing the climbing up the glass thing.. With the planted set up he climbs about - despite being a hognose, and spends alot of time climbing some of the creepers.. anyways, hes the only one left in a viv - and a glass one at that.. but it doesnt seem to phase him, the sides of the glass have coco fibre on them.

The boa will be too big for the rack as she grows up I should think - unless shes a small adult! So I may move her out of the rack in a year or so, just see how it goes! but cheers for the advice, and hopefully she isnt gravid already!

CoN Posted - 24/12/2010 : 11:26:46
Crazysnake pm me your, address I can help you out with a heat-mat.
n/a Posted - 23/12/2010 : 19:06:30
quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

LOL - Danny said it!

Stick with us - we're a lot gentler!

^^this
lol, thanks bats

You're welcome!
reptiledanny Posted - 23/12/2010 : 19:02:17
quote:

LOL - Danny said it!

^^this
lol, thanks bats
n/a Posted - 23/12/2010 : 19:00:53
LOL - Danny said it!

Benji54 Posted - 23/12/2010 : 19:00:12
quote:

Oops sorry, Benji, overlapped!

no worries bud..great minds and all that
reptiledanny Posted - 23/12/2010 : 18:59:02
quote:
Originally posted by crazysnakeman

Maybe some of that response sounds childish, but this really is one of the most off putting things i have ever come across in the world or reptile keeping. you can make the biggest balls up in rock climbing, surfing, practically any of my other hobbies and people will congratulate you for trying, and give you their opinion on how to move forward, even on the other reptile keeping forums. It seems like on here though, I ask for a bit of help, and people second guess you and try to outwit you, and drown out the good natured people who try to improve things. If my response seems a bit childish, it isnt intended to be, its just a response based on feeling a bit pushed out. I note that not one person responded in any effort to say, hang on guys, maybe there are reasons behind this. Im not sure whether or not to keep using this forum - the corn/hoggy/amphib sites are all very good so im reluctant to leave just because of this, but at the same time no other forum treats other people in this way.

lmao, that made me laugh, mate, dont get your knickers in a twist, poeple are just caring enough to want the best for all snakes, plus, u think this is bad, why dont u pop over to rfuk and see what they say
n/a Posted - 23/12/2010 : 18:41:14
Oops sorry, Benji, overlapped!
n/a Posted - 23/12/2010 : 18:39:41
Well, Crazysnakeman, try and give the forum a chance.

You've posted with a hard problem, both for you and the snakes. Other members have asked you for extra info to give a clearer picture, so that they can advise you better. A lot of questions might seem a bit daunting at first, but try and stay with it - and remember we're as concerned about your snakes as you are.

I for one didn't think you were into owning snakes just because you're young and wanted to look cool.

Sorry if I've left out any points, but, about the rub. If your female is gravid, yes of course you'll need several small rubs for the hatchlings, but in the meantime you'll need the larger rub for the male. You help out at a zoo - is there any chance they could lend you equipment until you can afford your own?

I'm sure we all wish you the best, and want to help you resolve the difficulties.
Benji54 Posted - 23/12/2010 : 18:36:06
woah. as an objective 3rd party, seems a few crossed wires on this thread lol! crazysnakeman from what ive read, it sounds like the guys are just trying to help. in fairness, if you didnt plan on breeding and dont want too, one larger RUB would be more cost effective than a load of littl'uns. i do greatly admire your spirit in saving the poor snakes and i commend you for it. It sound like the guys here are just lookin out for the snakes interests (as there are obv weight/ size issues to consider) just as you did. the reason you get praise for droppin off a wave (i surf too) or falling down a cliff (or in my case highsiding my race bike) is because youre only gunna hurt yourself with your mistakes and not anyone else and just like you, the guys here obviously care about your snakes :) dont stress on it buddy and dont let a little misunderstanding put you off. its clear that you know what you are doing and that you care greatly for your snakes but dont poopoo the advice that you asked for. hope that helps and you dont feel im just sticking my nose in!
crazysnakeman Posted - 23/12/2010 : 18:04:05
Maybe some of that response sounds childish, but this really is one of the most off putting things i have ever come across in the world or reptile keeping. you can make the biggest balls up in rock climbing, surfing, practically any of my other hobbies and people will congratulate you for trying, and give you their opinion on how to move forward, even on the other reptile keeping forums. It seems like on here though, I ask for a bit of help, and people second guess you and try to outwit you, and drown out the good natured people who try to improve things. If my response seems a bit childish, it isnt intended to be, its just a response based on feeling a bit pushed out. I note that not one person responded in any effort to say, hang on guys, maybe there are reasons behind this. Im not sure whether or not to keep using this forum - the corn/hoggy/amphib sites are all very good so im reluctant to leave just because of this, but at the same time no other forum treats other people in this way.
crazysnakeman Posted - 23/12/2010 : 17:58:22
He's always been small.. He's about 5 years old now, he's just a small guy, and no I had no plans to intentionally breed them but knew that by placing them together it was a possibility and therefore made sure she was atleast within the guidlines before saying yes to the woman who gave me them - her daughter passed away and left the snakes with no will, nobody knew they were in the house and by the time they were found, the 5 foot red tailed boa weighed 800 grams - she was literally skin and bone! the royal is still underweight for her length, very triangular shaped, but shes building up some muscle again now,and is starting to look healthy.

I blew absolutely everything I had on keeping these guys alive. The contents of my wallet - £6.73 is all I have to my name right now, but I know that in two weeks I receive my student loan, so I can sort things out further then. I figured I never have to incubate eggs if I don't want to, and that by the time any eggs are laid my loan will be through. I feel right pushed away on this forum, If I could have taken both with no problems, I wouldnt be here asking questions. I'm not stupid, and I can hopefully answer any other questions you guys have with satisfactory answers, but money is a huge issue in terms of buying a heat source, thermostat and RUB, where as sorting everything out in a few weeks when I have money hopefully (once ive budgeted) wont be a problem. however, I still had the current issue of mating snakes. Like I said, at no point am I obligated to incubate the eggs, but If I did, money shouldnt be an issue at that point.

Blackecho, you've answered a few of my Q's on other forums with no problems and I know that your adivice is good, but I really did research this and the general advice from most experts is that 1200 grams is adequate. several commercial breeders say they have successfully bred 800 gram females, but I would suspect this is an exaggeration.

If I could have housed them seperately from the off, I would have. as it was, they were living 5 royals and two red tailed boas in one 4ft viv with a heat mat with no thermostat, a water bowl green with algae, and faeces all over the floor. The police brought them to the zoo that I volunteer at, and basically dumped them on us. The zoo said they had to all be euthanased, but I saved these two, and another keeper took on the other boa - although it did die a few weeks ago, it refused to eat and was probably even more starved then my guys were. The other 4 royals were so far gone the vet wouldnt let anyone even try to save them and they were all killed.

I really have done everything I can for these guys and spent every penny I could spare to make sure they both has warmth, food and water. But my money just cant do any more. Please just accept that I have been stretching every penny as far as it will go, and that their mating is the last issue I have to deal with now that they are on the mend. I can stop the breeding in a few weeks, but there is every chance that she will be gravid by then, only time can tell for that one. I didnt think I would spark off an inquisition, I know I only have a few posts on here and that im fairly young, which I guess leads people to think I might just be another person getting snakes to be cool, who has no idea what they are doing, and just likes the novelty, but really, all of this is thought through, and there will be an answer for any questions you have unless its some novel idea that i wont have thought of. Id prefer it if you guys gave me a bit more credit in my thought processes - for example, Yes, i know it would be cheaper to buy one larger RUB and heating, then lots of small ones, but hopefully ive explained that, and yes it is blindingly obvious. There are answers, I didnt think they would need discussing in order to find out a quick bit of info to work out whether or not she was gravid.

Anyways, i'l bear all this in mind in future and put every intricate detail down in any future posts I dare to post on here. Cheers to those of you who wanted to help answer my queries, and to those of you with the constant questioning I hope i have answered them. I can continue to answer them if you so wish, but I'm sure I will have already thought it through and eliminated it because of some huge flaw. No, i had no intention of breeding them, im just in that position now, yes I can sort it in the future, but i still needed the answers for now.

bob, you said not to guess stuff about you cos i could be way off. I guess people guess stuff about me too, and they were way off.
Blackecho Posted - 23/12/2010 : 14:14:47
Especially a small male like that.
CoN Posted - 23/12/2010 : 14:11:07
I dont want to be needle picking,
quote:
Originally posted by crazysnakeman

I did make sure she was atleast inside the scale before agreeing to take her on though..

but you didnt had plans breeding them.

Hope all goes well for you and the new one, please keep us updated. Remember you have to give the little stud muffin a break between locks.
(Its very stressful for males to be with the female all the time during mating season).
Blackecho Posted - 23/12/2010 : 08:58:52
Hello again, you say you don't have the money to keep them seperate but you do have the money to house the hatchlings?

Can't you just get a large RUB for one of them, I'm sure that'd cost less than buying several sets for hatchlings.

And I'd still say she was too light for breeding healthily. I'd say 1800g ideally, 1500g minimum.
crazysnakeman Posted - 23/12/2010 : 01:49:16
Cheers for the guys who posted some info for me - I know shes on the lighter end of the breeding scale, I did make sure she was atleast inside the scale before agreeing to take her on though.. and yes, sometimes its not always the right thing to do, but i think this is one of the times it would have been wrong to let her be euthanased. And bob, no hard feelings at all, I was a bit tetchy, I guess it just tipped me over a bit and i apologies too.

Again, cheers for the posts, I'll keep you updated.
reptiledanny Posted - 22/12/2010 : 21:20:42
lmao
Royalbob Posted - 22/12/2010 : 20:57:49
quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

quote:
Originally posted by Royalbob

Lol guys and girls. Thanks a bunch for the support. Was just trying to be honest. Bob stays. This is too good a forum to leave. Cheers again.

yay, bob stays, we have had our way

It's those hypnotic snakey powers. Ok all done let's get on with the snakey stuff.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000