The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Snake related D.I.Y
 Heat Cable

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
cockings Posted - 01/11/2011 : 19:36:45
Is Heat cable enough to heat racking systems the warm end anyway.

If so what brand or cable should i use

Thanks Jas
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ShadEO9 Posted - 14/06/2014 : 21:25:11
Thanks Lotabob, getting hold of a router might prove a little tricky for me for a number of reasons. First being the rack came ready built and i don't fancy my DIY skills lol. Would something like this possibly work? > http://southerncaliforniakingsnakes.weebly.com/uploads/7/8/8/1/7881947/8981437_orig.jpg?0

The rack i have is very smart looking with a semi-closed back with room for wires. heat cable does seem to be the easiest option for me, unless anybody else has other ideas?

*EDIT*
If the heat cable won't be very effective at the back of the rack im going to make shelf runners as this seems like the better option.
Lotabob Posted - 13/06/2014 : 23:29:19
You just use a router to cut a groove into each shelf the full length of the shelf and run the cable in the groove so the Rubs/tubs etc slide in and out smoothly. You can also buy a foil backing to help reflect all the heat upward. Probably better to hire a router than to buy one, try HSS or a local tool hire company.
ShadEO9 Posted - 12/06/2014 : 01:26:37
Sorry to resurrect such an old post. I currently heat my snake racks with heat mats, but this is really inconvenient for a whole host of obvious reasons. I've been gooling around the web on heat cable and sure enough found the same link from the same site that Kelfezond recommends. My question is, could someone post pics of how the fix this to the snake rack itself? As the older pics posted are broken and don't seem to work.

Thanks in advance!
cockings Posted - 02/11/2011 : 05:55:12
thanks that is great as its the one i have been looking at thanks mate
Kelfezond Posted - 01/11/2011 : 21:41:53
http://www.bluelizardreptiles.co.uk/reptileheating/heatcables/097612301502

That is the one I bought
cockings Posted - 01/11/2011 : 21:23:47
Where did you buy it from i have only seen zoo med, and not lookedin any DIY type stores
Kelfezond Posted - 01/11/2011 : 21:01:58
firstly I routed the wood like this.

Then foiled it with heat reflective tape like this.

I bought I think 16m of it and it did 5 shelves like that with excess remaining.
boomslang Posted - 01/11/2011 : 19:51:41
Look into how much you need,as they measure the plug lead with the cable ie..2m heat cable say,which 1m is just lead.So you get 1m of heat cable rather then 2m listed.

If that makes sense hehe.
cockings Posted - 01/11/2011 : 19:43:11
Will i need to use one strip across the bottom our two to make a great enough hpt spot.. The depth of the plastic trays in this rack is around 38cm.

Hope that makes sense trying to work out much cable i need to use in each shelf to create the hope spot

Thanks Jas
GMac Posted - 01/11/2011 : 19:39:14
yes Heat cable is fine for heating a rack, as for brand they are pretty much all similar. Surrey pet supplies has been the cheapest for cable that I have found so far.
Kelfezond Posted - 01/11/2011 : 19:38:36
Yes it is I use heat cable, I cannot remember the brand name sorry

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000