The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Royal
 Other Pythons
 Burmball !!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Tawfik47 Posted - 08/04/2012 : 10:38:32
Hey, anyone heard about a snake called Burmball !!! it is something between Royal python and Burmese Python .. cool snake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-TXm3SDwsM

what a cool snake, ha ?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
boomslang Posted - 19/07/2012 : 18:06:01
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

The guy I bought Pandora (BCI boa) from previously kept her in with a Burmese. THAT is odd lol

But the burmball guy did it in the hope they would breed i guess.
Kelfezond Posted - 19/07/2012 : 17:17:33
The guy I bought Pandora (BCI boa) from previously kept her in with a Burmese. THAT is odd lol
boomslang Posted - 19/07/2012 : 17:16:17
quote:
I can't understand why they were keeping two Burms with a Royal...
odd right lol :P Guess its a money thing.
BlueDragon Posted - 19/07/2012 : 10:28:20
Although I can't understand why they were keeping two Burms with a Royal... so much could have gone wrong... I do really like this Snake. She has a stunning pattern and seems well.

If she's got that big then presumably she eats fine too.

I don't agree with a lot of cross-breeding and the breeding of certain types of Animals, like the modern-day Bulldogs for instance, but I do agree that if nothing bad comes of it and it isn't taken too far then there's no real harm in it. This girl doesn't seem to be poorly or deformed or otherwise incapacitated, she seems happy. And that's the main thing in the end.

Very pretty girl : )
Tawfik47 Posted - 08/04/2012 : 21:47:03
I don't like when humans interfere in nature, it always has bad effects and outcomes !!
Tawfik47 Posted - 08/04/2012 : 21:32:15
Interesting ha ?
n/a Posted - 08/04/2012 : 15:47:17
Lol - something like this maybe????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zDtH30gxjI

Lotabob Posted - 08/04/2012 : 15:35:59
Goodness me, the sheer mechanics oh the pairing is mental. 'Ere big lass, mon over ere love, something to show you'.

I don't like hybrids either, though if something can mate, produce fertile and healthy offspring then really its just a question of us introducing them, its not as if we are crossing them using test tubes etc, though it wont be too long I'm sure before you can buy burms with legs and dogs with scales. lol.
Kelfezond Posted - 08/04/2012 : 14:58:50
I dunno, if they're both willing to mate and the offspring has no problems I don't see the harm :p

Playing god? Maybe... But I never did like god anyway :D
GMac Posted - 08/04/2012 : 13:38:07
some Hybrids i have no problem with, ones that will breed together in the wild, but this i dont like nor understand. I see no point in this pairing similarly with the baltic no point. You want a dwarf burm buy a ball :D
n/a Posted - 08/04/2012 : 13:24:14
Very true!

There's a big trend towards ball python hybrids - personally I really don't see the point, but here are some more ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO4XUOqV-SI&feature=related
chrisc Posted - 08/04/2012 : 13:10:24
the question is why woukd you be housing 2 adult burms with a tiny royal python??
austin_89 Posted - 08/04/2012 : 12:27:58
I've seen this, i think it's an awesome snake but worried what some people might try and do to copy this or come up with their own species... As kelf said its not as bad that this happened naturally...
n/a Posted - 08/04/2012 : 12:13:38
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-TXm3SDwsM&feature=related
Kelfezond Posted - 08/04/2012 : 11:09:02
Yeah the fact that it's done naturally makes it less bad, it's not as if they injected the males goods into the female or anything.
Tawfik47 Posted - 08/04/2012 : 11:05:44
Me too, it is so strange !! but it is possible Kelf, i heard of a lot of animals breaded to gather like different kinds of horses.
Kelfezond Posted - 08/04/2012 : 10:50:55
It is very amazing, i'm not 100 percent sure if I ''agree'' with it or not though hehe.
Tawfik47 Posted - 08/04/2012 : 10:50:11
7 kg Royal, WOW !!
Tawfik47 Posted - 08/04/2012 : 10:40:47
The Burmball

The first, and to date, only breeding of Burmballs (Burmese python x Royal python) was done in 2007 in Germany by Frank Kramer. At the time, he was housing a breeding pair of albino burmese pythons with a male normal royal python. The female burmese laid her eggs as normal, and it was thought nothing out of the ordinary would happen, until on May 4th 2007 her eggs began to hatch. Due to being a breeding of homozygous albino parents, Frank would have had the shock of his life seeing what looked to all the world like a normal nose coming out of it's egg. Little did he know that this little normal looking burmese hatchling would shake the world of captive bred reptiles for years to come.
His female burmese python had laid a split clutch, some of her offspring were fathered by the albino burmese, and as expected are albino burmese pythons themselves, others however have an altogether different father, the Royal python who was sharing the vivarium with the burmese pair had also mated with her, and the result was the Burmball.

To date, there are only 10 Burmballs in the world, 3 owned by the original breeder, 4 in the USA, 2 in Austria, and 1 lone female here in the UK. That female was purchased from the Hamm reptile expo by two of the biggest names in the UK reptile world, Scott Wilkinson (Captive Bred Reptiles) and John Berry (John Berry Reptiles). They co-owned her for well over 2 years, and in late 2009 chose to sell her.

It was at this point that she came to live here at Pi Reptiles.
Since her arrival we have had the pleasure of trying to teach the world about her true origins. At the moment there seems to be a lot of rumour and not a lot of fact, and as such, we have tried to answer the typical, and not so typical questions asked about her.

- How big will she grow?
- This is always the classic question, and the simple answer is, no one knows for sure. Being from the first breeding no one will have an older animal to compare her to, and being a hybrid, she could get to a size anywhere between that of her parents, or even bigger. She is currently about 7-8 feet long, and weighs about 6300g. She's now over 4 years old, and as such, I feel she is at about the biggest she'll get.

- What is her temperament like?
- She can be a little erratic. We feel that she is as shy as a Royal python, prefering to shy away from danger rather than strike at it, however, she does have an agressive side, and I feel that she doesn't know her own strength. Burmese pythons are generally quite placid, and I think that this is because they "know" how big they are, the Burmball doesn't know her size, and as such can be quite imposing when she is hissing.

- How rare are Burmballs?
- In a word. Very. There are only a handfull of Burmballs in the world at the moment, and the odds of someone selling one is very slim, we were lucky in that we know both Scott and John quite well and asked them both if we could purchase the Burmball before she even became publicly for sale.

- Is she het albino?
- This is something that will have to be proven out. Her mother was a visual albino, and so logically she will be het albino on her burmese genetics. As to how this will work when trying to include royal python genetics is totally unknown, but I would imagine she would produce visual albino offspring if she was paired to a burmese python carrying the albino gene.

- Is she fertile?
- Again, only time will tell with this one, she is currently un-proven.
**UPDATE** We regularly used an ultrasound machine to monitor her from October 2010 to June 2011 (the typical ball python breeding season), we often found what we considered to be folical structures. We also bred her to a male super pastel ball python (one of our best, reliable breeders) in the hopes of producing viable eggs and offspring. Sadly this wasn't the case and it appeared that she reabsorbed her folicles. However as of October 2011 we have begun ultrasounding again and found similar structures. As such breeding trials will be continued this year. Keep checking back for more information as it happens.

We intend on putting as much information as possible onto the website as and when it becomes available to us, so please, watch this space if you wish to see how the future of this amazing animal develops.

http://www.pireptiles.co.uk/theburmball.htm
Kelfezond Posted - 08/04/2012 : 10:39:30
Like a massive royal haha. I've seen a 7kg royal before but don't think it was a burmball.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000