The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Royal
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Got a new boa, but my wife wants it to goa :(

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alves76 Posted - 07/08/2014 : 23:34:58
I got a new addition about a week ago. It's lovely. It's a BCI (male), about 6'8" and is a nice size and weight. He's strong, but not overpowering. Just right because I have two children (6 and 4) in the house.

BUT...

The wife took our dogs to the vet and told the vet that we had a new boa. The vet said, "Oh, I wouldn't have a boa in the house with two children present." So now the wife is freaking out and wants rid of the thing.

The boa is in a locked, secure vivarium and the children will not be anywhere near the snake unattended or unsupervised, but this doesn't help the wife.

I understand that a snake this size is a potential risk to children if left unattended with them and so that will never happen, but my wife is scared about what happens if it gets out. I've told her that...

1. the snake will probably go to a dark, warm place.
2. the door to the room in which the snake is kept is always closed at night (it's the living room so it's opened during the day).
3. children don't smell like rats so if it did get out it would most likely not be interested in them.

Is there any truth to what the vet said that I should be aware of? OR, is there anything that I can say to my wife to appease her? I have grown quite attached to my boa and don't want to give it up unnecessarily. However, I also want to do right by my wife and children.

Any advice anyone?
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alves76 Posted - 13/08/2014 : 22:12:29
LOL. That's one of the funniest things I've heard all day!
Kelfezond Posted - 13/08/2014 : 21:03:30
Haha! Fantastic.

Watch out she doesn't eat her though, the vet said they can! ;)
Alves76 Posted - 13/08/2014 : 20:38:44
Tonight, after working night duty and getting little sleep during the day, Kate (my wife) was lying on the sofa while I had Bob out. Bob headed over to her and she said it felt nice on her back. I told her to lie on her front and she allowed me to place Bob on her back and let Bob have a 'wander' over her.

Disclaimer: She wants me to let everyone know that she has just worked night duty so hasn't slept in over a day and has no make-up on.

Now I'd call that progress!
Alves76 Posted - 10/08/2014 : 12:41:44
Good idea Rusty.
rustyp1974 Posted - 10/08/2014 : 08:54:58
Sounds like the vet needs some educating not just the kids. I'd go talk to him or her & ask why they think its a problem. Even invite them over & show them how keeping snakes works in reality not just from stories.
Alves76 Posted - 08/08/2014 : 17:54:18
Cheers. The viv is well secure and has a door lock so I'm sure it won't get out. We will see how things go.
Kelfezond Posted - 08/08/2014 : 17:31:48
I wouldnt give him up over horror stories. Just research and use logic, keep the tank secure so there's no chance of escape and teach your kids about the snakes I think you'll be fine :-)
Alves76 Posted - 08/08/2014 : 13:53:42
She didn't go into details. Just said, I wouldn't have one if there are kids in the hours, cos I've heard horror stories from my colleagues.

She didn't know the sex or locale of the snake, but Kate (my wife) probably told her it was large. He's nowhere near the size of Pandora (length or girth).

I'll post photos when he's shed and fed.
Kelfezond Posted - 08/08/2014 : 08:57:18
What exactly was your vet worried about happening did he actually go into specifics about what is dangerous or did he just say "oooh bad idea they're dangerous to kids" ?
Alves76 Posted - 08/08/2014 : 07:58:15
LOL

Funny, when getting food from two different reptile shops I mentioned my story and their response was pretty much exactly the same with respect to their opinion of the vet.

Kelfezond Posted - 08/08/2014 : 00:07:34
I can't really give you advice regarding making your wife feel better unfortunately a vets advice carries more weight than mine.

However

Your vet is a bloody idiot!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000