Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

exoticpet2009
Snake Mite

Ireland
8 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  20:56:50  Show Profile
Hello Everyone!
I'm new to reptile forums, and also new to keeping royal pythons. I am getting my first baby in a week or two...Cant wait!! He/She is about 30 cm's long, and feeding on defrost mouse fluffs. Hopefully it'll keep feeding once it comes home with me!! I know that once I get one, I wont be able to stop!! But lets hope my first royal sets a good example!!

Looking forward to racking ye're brains!

Exoticpet2009

Newbie!!

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  20:57:44  Show Profile
Hi and welcome...

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  21:02:40  Show Profile
hiya welcome to the forum...

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

cumbrian eejit
Yearling

United Kingdom
240 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  21:04:35  Show Profile  Click to see cumbrian eejit's MSN Messenger address
hi, you'r right, once you start off on one, then you'll end up with more.
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  21:04:52  Show Profile
Hi and welcome ;)
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  21:09:35  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
heya and welcome

quote:
Originally posted by exoticpet2009

I know that once I get one, I wont be able to stop!!

nah, one royal is enough for anybody!!

(says the recently-ex royal-owner )

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  22:20:39  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Hi, welcome.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  22:44:59  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
Hi and welcome

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

Dazzetski
Yearling

United Kingdom
461 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2009 :  07:10:22  Show Profile  Visit Dazzetski's Homepage  Click to see Dazzetski's MSN Messenger address
Hello, you're completely right I got my first royal in february & have now got 3!!!

0.2.0 Cats (Spud & Phoebe) RIP Stevie fat man
1.1.0 Royals (Syd & Sofia)
2.2.3 Corns (Hogan, Shaggy, Sparkle, Tango, Fred, Haribo & Go Faster)
0.0.1 Columbian Rainbow Boa (Escobar)
1.1.0 Variable King Snakes (Lancelot & Guinaverre)
0.0.20 Fish
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2009 :  08:11:46  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
Hello and welcome

They are very addictive. I only started keeping reps (after doing lots of research) in September 08 and look at my collection now. Not addicted at all

Go to Top of Page

exoticpet2009
Snake Mite

Ireland
8 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2009 :  21:20:51  Show Profile
Thanks everyone!! I cant wait to get my little one! Still praying that it'll eat for me though :P Also thinking about getting a baby bosc or a crested gecko :D

Best Wishes
Exoticpet2009

Newbie!!
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  15:31:50  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
quote:

Also thinking about getting a baby bosc or a crested gecko :D

A Bosc is a big commitment. This is gonna sound a little patronising so I apologise in advance.
How old are you?

Can you afford to feed copious quantities of invertebrates every week?

Are you going to be able to cope with a rep that has temper tantrums and could very easily put you in A & E to have your fingers sewn back on or get stitches?

Are you able to provide regular check ups at the vets?

Have you got the space for a huge viv after about 12 to 18 months(minimum 6' x 3' x 3')?

They do look incredibly cute in the shop and are cheap to buy but they are one hell of a big commitment as are all monitors. Have a good old read-up about them (I spent several months researching them) and feel free to ping me on msn if you have any questions. Please don't take offence because I'm not trying to offend or be nasty just realistic .

Edited by - Paulusworm on 08/06/2009 15:35:45
Go to Top of Page

exoticpet2009
Snake Mite

Ireland
8 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  15:58:58  Show Profile
Hi Paulusworm :)
Yeah...The commitment is enormous, and the 'danger' is also a huge factor in owning one. I would love to own one, but dont think that I will get one any time soon! I've read many articles & caresheets, and I've even priced the materials for a 7x2.5x3 viv. I hope to start building the viv later 2010...But I am starting the research now :) The royal is my first reptile in a while, and I want to enjoy it for as long as I can without getting the urge to get another (That wont last long :P). I really appreciate your advice, and I will certainly let you know if, and when I decide to get one :)

Best Wishes
Exoticpet2009 :D

Newbie!!
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  16:34:19  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
quote:

Hi Paulusworm :)
Yeah...The commitment is enormous, and the 'danger' is also a huge factor in owning one. I would love to own one, but dont think that I will get one any time soon! I've read many articles & caresheets, and I've even priced the materials for a 7x2.5x3 viv. I hope to start building the viv later 2010...But I am starting the research now :) The royal is my first reptile in a while, and I want to enjoy it for as long as I can without getting the urge to get another (That wont last long :P). I really appreciate your advice, and I will certainly let you know if, and when I decide to get one :)

Best Wishes
Exoticpet2009 :D

Excellent to hear that you've been researching. So many people go into the shop and think "awwww. Look at the ickle lizard". Good to hear that you're not one of them. Are you planning on letting it free roam at all? A lot of the bosc keepers that I talk with have found that vivs 7ft and upwards can freak their bosc out a little and they are going back to 6ft. Sounds like you're not 15 either. Reason for asking your age was that a lot of potential teenage keepers don't think ahead to the college/university years when they may discover that no their parents do not want to look after the not so small and cuddly reptile while they are away. The offer stands though, ping me if you've got any questions.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention was that monitors are ridiculously addictive. I'm investigating croc monitors at the moment. Maybe in a few years. 15' is awfully big .

Go to Top of Page

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  16:38:38  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Paulusworm
Oh, one thing I forgot to mention was that monitors are ridiculously addictive. I'm investigating croc monitors at the moment. Maybe in a few years. 15' is awfully big .

Blimey, next you'll be after a Komodo!

0.1.0 Royal Python - Princess
0.1.0 BCI - Feather
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  16:48:54  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by chris100575

quote:
Originally posted by Paulusworm

Blimey, next you'll be after a Komodo!

Nah. They're dangerous .

Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  09:56:17  Show Profile
hi and welcome. i got my first royal a week ago. well I knew that i would end up wanted to buy more in the future so I bought 2 there and then. had everything already set up in advance.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
1.0.0 Yellow Bellied Turtle
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page