n1ck
Hatchling

South Africa
96 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2009 :  08:11:35  Show Profile
Hi Guys
as i am getting my new baby python...
what is good feeding habits?
i know i must feed him least once a week and not in his viv.
now..
how long till i handle him?
can i put him back in his viv after he has eaten? even though i may not handle him?

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2009 :  08:22:34  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Hi Nick, I feed as follows (Just guidelines):

<400g - every 5 days
400-800g - every 7 days
800-1200g - every 10 days
>1200 - every 14 days.

I feed between 10-15% of the snake's bodyweight, so a 200g snake will take 20-30g of prey, rats are preferable.

Some feed in the viv, some feed out of it. I have mine on Aspen, they all strike feed and I dry defrost the rats, so very unlikely that there will be any impaction problems. If you can feed out of the viv (without stressing the snake out and not eating) then some will say that's better.

Leave for 48hr to digest before handling, although you can handle carefully and for minimum time just to move them back into the viv (make sure they're not still in feeding mode though or you may be their next target )

All the above are just my thoughts and not 'rules', everyone is slightly different.

Edited by - Blackecho on 30/06/2009 09:36:08
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2009 :  08:30:40  Show Profile
EDIT:
BE got there first lol. :D

Edited by - MissCat on 30/06/2009 08:31:09
Go to Top of Page

n1ck
Hatchling

South Africa
96 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2009 :  08:38:50  Show Profile
thats great guidelines, thanks!
i might then feed inside the viv as i am getting a rather large viv... :(
but i will fill it up with hides and climbs...
you mentioned a feeding mat, is that also a good habit? to always feed on the same mat?
and maybe just remove the mat after a feed?
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2009 :  08:57:22  Show Profile
i have a feeding tile...
some people have laughed at this, and dont think the snake can learn a habit like this, but...
it's just a bathroom wall tile and i put it in the viv when it's feeding time, then put the food on the tile...
when i put the tile in, my royal automatically goes into feeding mode, i think he has learnt that the tile=food.
I wash it after each feed, so i dont think he can smell food on it.
i only started doing it because i was scared he would get impaction from the aspen, but 9 times out of 10 he drags it off the tile anyway.
and as BE said, he strike feeds and i warm the food up dry and no aspen has ever got stuck on it... well that's a bit of a fib, one tiny bit did once and it got stuck between Ra's teeth, i thought i would have to pull it out myself but he worked it out on his own in the end.
Go to Top of Page

n1ck
Hatchling

South Africa
96 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2009 :  09:14:52  Show Profile
awesome!! i love this forum! i am new... but i love it! :) you guys are a great help!
what time is the best to feed him?
and how do i unfreeze his food? a lot say leave it over night, some say use a har dryer, some warm water
what is the best way?
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2009 :  09:28:18  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
As with Cat, when my Corn doesn't strike, I leave the mouse on a flat basking rock I have (just to stop it sitting on the Aspen).

I get my rats out to defrost in the morning and feed in the evening, natural feeding time for Royals is dusk, but some feed at dawn too so you are most likely to be successful at those times. Some do feed during the day, but this is usually sleep-time so a lot won't eat.

When defrosted I warm with a hair-drier, paying particular attention to super-heat the head. As Royals sense by heat as much as sight, warming the head lets the snake 'see' where to aim.

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2009 :  09:28:35  Show Profile
most people feed in the evening, as they are nocturnal, but i know several people who have their own time, so i dont think it makes much difference, i still do mine in the evening though.
not sure there's a "best" way to defrost.. there are lots of ways to do it though, in the winter i defrost in a bowl on top of the viv for a few hours then put them in a sandwich bag and into a mug of hot water to warm them up.
in the summer i leave in the fridge overnight to defrost, then pop ontop of the viv for an hour to reach room temp, then sandwich bag in mug of water.
hairdryers can be used for heating the food, not so sure about defrosting the food with one though.. could take a while lol.
microwaves are bad for heating lol.
food explodes LOL (learnt that the hard way LOL) but also microwaves heat irregularly, so one bit of the prey may feel warm enough, but the inside could either still be frozen, or scalding hot.
:D
Go to Top of Page

cumbrian eejit
Yearling

United Kingdom
240 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2009 :  10:15:00  Show Profile  Click to see cumbrian eejit's MSN Messenger address
I used to defrost mine at room temp. for a few hours, then I placed them head first in a plastic beaker sat in a cup of boiling water.
For yourself nick, I would suggest defrosting in a fridge, being in s.a. where it can be very hot, this may cause bacteria growth in an over quick defrosted prey.
Hope this helps.
Scott
Go to Top of Page

n1ck
Hatchling

South Africa
96 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2009 :  11:43:56  Show Profile
thanks guys! appreciate the help! :)
now only to get photos and show you how my baby and viv look! :):):)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000