New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

andybeta
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2012 :  09:44:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gave Ripley his first meal at our house last night. I got tagged in the process, so at least I've got that out the way and I know what it feels like.

He wouldn't strike the weaner, so I left it in front of his hide and 5 minutes later he was scoffing it. I still can't quite believe he got it down his neck... I knew what to expect, but it was still incredible to see his jaws and neck stretching like that.

He since spent the night in his warm hide (for the first time in a week.)

I'm very happy that he's eating, and can't wait to get him out for some handling later next week.

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2012 :  12:47:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done getting him feeding, that's Ripley way of saying 'I'm happy here'.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2012 :  17:23:52  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Great job

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2012 :  19:39:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good job,well done

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

KingKenny
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2012 :  00:48:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good times!! When I first fed Marley I was convinced it wouldn't feed , but when the rat went down its a good feeling, as Bob said I'd like to think it says they are happy with the environment , Marley has fed 9 times now. Keep up the good work!
Kingkenny
Go to Top of Page

Numbutt
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2012 :  09:56:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First feed time tonight for me. I haven't got a clue. Do I take her out, leave her in? She sleeps all day so do I wake her up, how? Do I leave it till tonight, she doesn't come out of her hide until we go to bed ( I'm assuming ). I've only had her a week, so any help would be appreciated.

Steve :)
Go to Top of Page

andybeta
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2012 :  10:45:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I left it as late as possible and fed him in the viv but removed his hide (because he wasn't up and I had to go to bed.) Ideally I'd planned to leave it until he woke naturally but I was knackered.

He moved off under some bark and plants so I replaced the hide which is when he hit me. Then I did the recommended warming, blow-drying and zombie dance, eventually just leaving it on a plastic lid on the aspen.

He hasn't moved from his warm hide since Thursday night. I think that's normal, and I'm trying not to worry about it.
Go to Top of Page

Stewy-C-
Yearling

United Kingdom
103 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2012 :  11:01:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andybeta

I left it as late as possible and fed him in the viv but removed his hide (because he wasn't up and I had to go to bed.) Ideally I'd planned to leave it until he woke naturally but I was knackered.

He moved off under some bark and plants so I replaced the hide which is when he hit me. Then I did the recommended warming, blow-drying and zombie dance, eventually just leaving it on a plastic lid on the aspen.

He hasn't moved from his warm hide since Thursday night. I think that's normal, and I'm trying not to worry about it.

Just a little tip to add to this when viv feeding. If you hairdryer the rodents scent into the viv, the snake will become active. He will more than likely come part way out of the hide (100% of the time with all my snakes). If he stays in the hide, he will definaitly be looking out the entrance to the hide. This may give him a little more confidence to take the rodent from you.

1.0 Spider Royal
0.1 Pastel Royal
0.1 Snow Corn
"The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about"
"On the internet you can be anything you want, its strange that so many people choose to be stupid"
Go to Top of Page

andybeta
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2012 :  11:26:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had tried that before I removed the hide. I think next time I'll just be more patient, and maybe start a little earlier, when it gets dark in his room.
Go to Top of Page

Stewy-C-
Yearling

United Kingdom
103 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2012 :  11:43:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea I feed my corns an hour before dusk, but I leave the royals until just after dusk. I have had the best success rates at these times. Although some fussy buggers need slightly different.

1.0 Spider Royal
0.1 Pastel Royal
0.1 Snow Corn
"The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about"
"On the internet you can be anything you want, its strange that so many people choose to be stupid"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000