New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Snecklifter
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2012 :  10:38:12  Show Profile
Am I the only one getting well and truly fed up that every other article on this forum is about somebody's snake that either hasn't eaten, wont eat or has some other food related quirk?

There's a pretty comprehensive care sheet up front and you'd think that since there were half a hundred articles regarding somebody's feeding tribulations, that posters would have a read before committing their concerns to the pubic domain.

Is it time for one of our moderators to cobble together a sticky that explains the different problems that can be encountered and how to deal with them?

I'll start:

Its a Royal Python. They're notoriously fussy eaters. Don't panic....

0.0.1 Royal 'Trowzer'

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2012 :  10:53:07  Show Profile
An excellent sticky by Kelf:

http://theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9800

0.0.3 Koi Carp
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2012 :  11:04:18  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address
Yeah there is one it's there :)

But we do treat everyone's case individually here if you're fed up of the posts you don't need to read them but I think one of the things that makes TRP is great is that we do take the time to get to know everyone and their snakes we don't just say "Read this and this and this and this, then watch this"

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Snecklifter
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2012 :  11:12:20  Show Profile
Individuals?

You're joking right? There's nothing individualistic about 100 different people writing 'my snake wont eat'. Thats more of a collective thing - has this forum been taken over by The Borg?

I realise i'm being facaecious, and i'm sorry about that, but it don't half grind my gears having to sift through pages of what is essentially a pretty common post, to find anything meaningful...

0.0.1 Royal 'Trowzer'
Go to Top of Page

badwool
Sub Adult

658 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2012 :  11:22:11  Show Profile
Maybe have a sub form for feeding issues within the health section?

Go to Top of Page

badwool
Sub Adult

658 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2012 :  11:23:21  Show Profile
ps you do see the irony in you posting this thread requesting a sticky for people not looking for feeding information when there IS a sticky at the top of this area right?

Go to Top of Page

Unamed
Yearling

United Kingdom
147 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2012 :  12:41:59  Show Profile
bit mean this thread

0.0.1 Python Regius
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2012 :  12:42:00  Show Profile
There are lots of reasons that a snake stops eating, from the quite safe breeding season fast to the potentially serious temperature issues etc so a general post would have to be enormous. The sticky links are handy to stick at the bottom of a response but the forum environment is NOT a caresheet, its a way for like minded people to communicate, without the communicating bit the forum dies off to maybe one or two unheard of conditions a month. The good thing about it is if you do not want to participate in certain subjects you are under no obligation to do so.

Go to Top of Page

Snecklifter
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2012 :  13:07:13  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

There are lots of reasons that a snake stops eating, from the quite safe breeding season fast to the potentially serious temperature issues etc so a general post would have to be enormous. The sticky links are handy to stick at the bottom of a response but the forum environment is NOT a caresheet, its a way for like minded people to communicate, without the communicating bit the forum dies off to maybe one or two unheard of conditions a month. The good thing about it is if you do not want to participate in certain subjects you are under no obligation to do so.

3821 posts.... you must have a very hungry snake...

;-) Sorry, couldn't resist that.

0.0.1 Royal 'Trowzer'
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2012 :  13:19:20  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Snecklifter

Individuals?

You're joking right? There's nothing individualistic about 100 different people writing 'my snake wont eat'. Thats more of a collective thing - has this forum been taken over by The Borg?

I realise i'm being facaecious, and i'm sorry about that, but it don't half grind my gears having to sift through pages of what is essentially a pretty common post, to find anything meaningful...

Each person who has an issue should be treated seperately, and as Bob said to actually narrow it down to a specific problem is very difficult so it does require us to ask questions and probe a little into the persons problem. Yes a lot of people could have gotten their answer from reading a sticky or doing a search function but I like to think this forum is more of a community than that - 2 years ago I came here asking for help with a snake that wasn't feeding, I wouldn't be here now if I was pointed to a sticky.

Sometimes people just need to be told that they're doing things right and build confidence.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Se7enS1ns
Yearling

United Kingdom
354 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2012 :  16:22:46  Show Profile  Visit Se7enS1ns's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Snecklifter
but it don't half grind my gears having to sift through pages of what is essentially a pretty common post, to find anything meaningful...

You don't have to do anything - read, or don't, your choice. People come to this forum to ask advice from more experienced owners, without fear of being flamed to death for it (as is the case elsewhere) - and we should not put people off from doing so.

We were all new once.

www.royal-balls.blogspot.com
www.facebook.com/dandavisreptiles

Edited by - Se7enS1ns on 20/07/2012 16:23:24
Go to Top of Page

Dixon
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2012 :  16:49:09  Show Profile
As a newbie on here I like the fact that when I have asked a question people have answered me and not made me feel stupid for asking. I do read the sticky links and do search for answers but as there are new poepl coming to this site, probably daily, there will always be new opions and suggestions all the time. The nice thing about this site is that it is a community and where everyone can talk about anything and no one is forced to read anything they think is beneath them.

I would like to point out though that if someone like Snecklifter can miss the sticky on feeding then imagine how easy it is for those who are new to the site and distressed about the well being of there snake.

Lets live and let live.
Go to Top of Page

coxcats
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
584 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2012 :  17:27:20  Show Profile
I too am a newbie snakeaholic. I do read the stickies but the thing I like most about this forum is that you can still ask questions and people will reply. Not every snake is the same as I know too well as my 2 are complete opposites. Things change all the time and new ideas or problems can occur not necessarily covered by a sticky. Sometimes people read the sticky and just need the reassurance of a personal reply. I love it here and am grateful for all the replies I have received. So, thanks guys. Sas and Boris thank you too x

Royals - Sas, Boris & Ria
Boas - 1 called Titch until we can think of a name for her!
Cats - Felix, Becky, Max & Willow
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2012 :  18:50:24  Show Profile
What you`ll find with this forum though is that it is mainly visited by new inexperienced owners. Very few people stay on here after a couple of years. When you think about it though Royals dont actually do very much, we`ve all been on here and asked the same question and to take that away from new owners wouldn`t be fare. I very rarely look at this section as it is repetative, but no one makes you read the threads. most of my forum visits are to the breeding and morph sections as they offer more varity for me.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Cookie
Yearling

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2012 :  19:41:44  Show Profile  Visit Cookie's Homepage
Im not long on here, and I can honestly say I wouldn't have stayed long if I didnt get such a quick personalised reply from experienced helpful snake keepers. These guys on here such as Kelf, Chris, Bob and more am sure are always willing to give their advice and dont complain about repeating themselves. I can easily say since joining I've learnt so much about my snakes and how to care for them correctly, things that I know if I spent hours searching for (which i have done often enough) I would not get the answers I needed.

So thanks guys for all the advice and tips so far! And I dont have any problems with this forum one bit! Jeez Im never off it lol!

1.2.0 Royal Pythons (Sebastian, Romeo & Gypsy)

Edited by - Cookie on 20/07/2012 19:42:43
Go to Top of Page

GMac
Grumpy scots admin

United Kingdom
1152 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2012 :  20:32:38  Show Profile
locked the thread as its pointless.

Folks come here for help they get the advice they asked for not reading nonsense about a member fed up reading about non feeding snakes

Royals, Corns, Boa, Kings, Hoggy, Ratsnakes

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000