Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Nicola
Hatchling

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2012 :  23:07:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all! I am fairly new to snake keeping. I have a California kingsnake and now would love to own a royal python too.

I love the golden colours and have seen a beautiful spider I'm goig to see next week, with possibility of putting down a deposit. I will be able to see the parents then also, but since finding this snake I have read about the head wobble that the spiders have. If the parents don't have a wobble or much of one, will this mean this baby girl may be lucky enough not to either? She is beautiful but I don't know if I want to have or see this in my baby...

I have gone through the forum and read some other posts so have a little info now but still can't decide if I want to get this gorgeous little girl or not. She is way above the budget I had in mind as I was looking at a normals before but fell in love enough to go for it anyway until I read about this issue.

If I decide not to get her, do you have any suggestions on morphs that i should look at. Black and bright golds are the colours I was looking for.

Thank you,
Nic x

0.0.1 California Kingsnake. Cecil
0.1.0 Spider Royal Python. Lexi

Pythonwizard
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
650 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2012 :  23:21:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it's up to the person really about spiders me personal dont think its right to breed a snake that as genetic malfunction even if they are beautiful ball pythons but as i say its down to the person i know few people on this forum who have the spider morphs including other ones like bumblebee. if you have got your heart set on go for it but it would be ideal to see the parents and see if their head wobble hopefully its not to bad and not noticeable if your looking to pay 120 - 200 hundred depending on sex

if you dont get your spider you could get ( depending on price )
pastel
Black pastel
Cinnamon
Yellowbelly
Fire
Butter
BTW these are males with females being bit more

hopefully you will get your spider if not there are wide range of morphs

Edited by - Pythonwizard on 23/12/2012 23:23:03
Go to Top of Page

Nicola
Hatchling

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2012 :  23:36:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks python wizard. This is what's really tearing me, I don't think in my heart I can bare to see my baby with this problem... And I don't think it's fair on the snake to be put through living with this condition knowingly. Im not sure if it's a risk i can take. I arranged to see her before reading about this and therefore had it set in my mind she would be mine. She's going for £275 also. No offers below accepted. Well over my budget but I am happy to go there for the right snake who is in good Heath.

I will go and checkout the other morphs you suggested. Thank you :)

Go to Top of Page

Pythonwizard
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
650 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2012 :  23:44:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.crystalpalacereptiles.com/index.php?option=com_redshop&view=product&pid=259&cid=32&Itemid=61 there is male much cheaper i think thats fairly cheap for spider

hope it goes well and she her head wobble is hardly noticeable
Go to Top of Page

jebus
Yearling

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2012 :  23:49:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can relate with your love for spiders, me just purchasing my second one a few days ago, both mine only give
a slight wobble of the head when feeding is going on, but it dosnt effect them in the slightest. It was the only
thing holding me back before I decided to get mine, but now I have two, im sure you can guess it doesnt worrie me
whatsoever now :)

Go to Top of Page

Nicola
Hatchling

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2012 :  23:54:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awe thanks for the link... I'm just looking at lots of other morph pics now too... Spider is still the fave so I'm going to have a long hard think about this and read up as much as possible. I'll still want to go and see her ATM but I know what I'm like, I'll just want to take her!
Have u used crystal palace reptiles before? (maybe a daft question but is this the CPR I see referred to in threads?... Wondered what that meant!)

Thank you, I'll be sure to let you know when I decide and get my first royal :D

Go to Top of Page

Pythonwizard
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
650 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2012 :  00:05:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have had a snake from CPR (CRYSTAL PALACE REPTILES)i bought a female pastel paid only £170 Great shop with great service
Go to Top of Page

Nicola
Hatchling

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2012 :  00:12:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the recommendation. It's good to have after reading about some of the awful care from some reptile traders. I've been browsing through and seen some lovely snakes on there.

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
812 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2012 :  00:20:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had the same issues and I decided to go with my gut feeling and get a spider. I did so much research it made it made my brain ache! I should have saved my time and just got one.....my Peeps is just adorable and everything I could have wished for.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons (Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Gecko (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Fudge, Sox, Raven & Titch)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Nicola
Hatchling

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2012 :  00:27:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Herriotfan, Awe that's so good to hear. That's all I want, to know I'm happy and made the right decision too.

I'll let you all know what I decide to get when I have had a think and seen this little one...

Any feedback from spider owners would be appreciated too as well as general thoughts on spider or other morphs... Ah I'm frying my brain with this one! X

Go to Top of Page

JanieW
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2279 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2012 :  01:10:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Nicola,

I had exactly the same thoughts on Spiders, then after thinking about them I took the plunge and bought a little female.
Thing is they are a morph found in the wild, so not a man made error (for a change lol)

Don't forget the litte one you are thinking about is already born so if you don't get her somebody else will :) and they are gorgeous.

Peoples Of Middle Earth:
Bert (Staffy) , named after Tolkien's stone Troll
Popeye, African Grey
Gimli (Son Of Gloin), Baby Beardie
Slinky, Baby Royal Python
Fëanor..Baby Mexican Common Boa
Casper 2011 Male Ghost Corn Snake **RIP**
Hoard of Orcs (Dubia Roach Colony)
Pearl & Ivory--African Giant Albino Land Snails
Ra, Taiwanese Beauty Snake
Henry, Western Hognose *Missing*
Pippin, Coastal X Diamond Carpet Python
Elanor, Pastel Royal
Timmy, Western Hognose
Flake, Calico male royal, Eowyn, Arabesque Boa
Go to Top of Page

Fezza
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1063 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2012 :  08:17:39  Show Profile  Visit Fezza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JanieW

Hi Nicola,

I had exactly the same thoughts on Spiders, then after thinking about them I took the plunge and bought a little female.
Thing is they are a morph found in the wild, so not a man made error (for a change lol)

Don't forget the litte one you are thinking about is already born so if you don't get her somebody else will :) and they are gorgeous.

That's was precisely what I was going to say

The original spider that was wild caught had the defect, hence all generation to follow have it to some degree or another

Tricky thing is, IMO nothing else looks like a spider morph. So if that's what grabs your attention, you've not really got an alternative

Oh and +1 for CPR I had my pastel enchi from Daren and he was great to deal with

Good luck

1.0.0 normal royal
1.0.0 mojave royal
1.0.0 pastel enchi royal
0.1.0 cinnamon royal
0.1.0 pewter royal
0.1.0 genetic stripe royal
0.1.0 lesser goblin royal
0.1.0 phantom royal
0.1.0 Columbian rainbow boa
0.0.1 aru x jaya GTP
0.1.0 bredli
1.0.0 trans pecos rat snake
1.0.0 fat black cat
Go to Top of Page

Nicola
Hatchling

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 25/12/2012 :  22:33:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. I just think I would feel quite upset if it was or developed into a bad case. I may consider in the future but don't want to do it while I feel unsure at the moment as I don't ever intend to swap or sell my pets, and I wouldn't if I had this issue with my snake which is why Ive been taking my time with this decision. I'm sure this lovely little girl will go to a good and caring home soon. :) think I am on the look out for a fire morph now.... They too are very beautiful..... As are many morphs! X

Go to Top of Page

Nicola
Hatchling

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2012 :  15:13:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still on the research game. Found some great info and feel more at ease now I've read up more... The beautiful spider is winning me over! :D going to see her sat... I can't wait! Thanks again for all the help and feedback. X

Go to Top of Page

JanieW
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2279 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2012 :  15:23:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ah get the Spider, else you'll always think about her :)

Peoples Of Middle Earth:
Bert (Staffy) , named after Tolkien's stone Troll
Popeye, African Grey
Gimli (Son Of Gloin), Baby Beardie
Slinky, Baby Royal Python
Fëanor..Baby Mexican Common Boa
Casper 2011 Male Ghost Corn Snake **RIP**
Hoard of Orcs (Dubia Roach Colony)
Pearl & Ivory--African Giant Albino Land Snails
Ra, Taiwanese Beauty Snake
Henry, Western Hognose *Missing*
Pippin, Coastal X Diamond Carpet Python
Elanor, Pastel Royal
Timmy, Western Hognose
Flake, Calico male royal, Eowyn, Arabesque Boa
Go to Top of Page

AndyJ80
Yearling

United Kingdom
385 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2012 :  15:25:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's pot luck with spiders wobble, some have it severe, some very minimal, some get worse, some get better. It's normally noticed when they're being fed (or as mine shows her wobble...when shedding....I know she's weird) but have amazing appetites and breed very easily.

They usually live their lives pretty happily if they get what they need, ie. food, warmth, place to hide, and drink, as would most animals if they're treated right. The question is...are you happy to have an animal that WILL have a wobble at some point in their lives?

1.0.0 CB12 Normal
1.0.0 CB12 Super Pastel
0.1.0 CB12 Mojave
1.0.0 CB10 Fire
0.1.0 CB10 Blackbee
0.1.0 CB10 Granite het albino
0.1.0 CB12 Vanilla
1.1.0 CB12 Pastel 100% het G Stripe
0.1.0 CB12 Enchi
1.1.0 CB12 het Caramel
0.1.0 CB12 het Pied
0.1.0 CB12 het Orange Ghost
1.0.0 CB10 Pastel het Orange Ghost
1.0.0 CB12 Cinnamon Genetic Stripe
0.1.0 CB13 Pastel

more on the way
Go to Top of Page

carlb1981
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1527 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2012 :  16:13:15  Show Profile  Visit carlb1981's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you like the spider but not its genetic wobble then you should consider getting a woma very similar looking snakes for similar price

3.3.0 Royals,Yellow Belly -Marty,Fire YB-Fred,Mojave-Mo,Butter Pinstripe-Betty,Pewter-Newt,Normal-Molly
0.1.0 Snow Cornsnake- Lumi
1.1.0 Hypo Sonoran Dwarf Boa-Bart and Maggie
0.1.0 Albino Pine Snake-Ruby
1.0.0 Bredli Python-Brian
1.0.0 Western Hognose-Hal
1.0.0 Kayuadi Retic-Kaa
0.1.0 Honduran Milksnake-Jubbly
1.1.0 Salmon Boas-Hershey and Sam
0.2.0 Leopard Geckos-Spot and Chocolate
1.4.0 Dune Geckos
0.1.0 Beardie-Cookie
0.3.7 Tarantulas
0.0.1 Pandinus Imperator/emperor scorpion
Go to Top of Page

carlb1981
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1527 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2012 :  16:14:56  Show Profile  Visit carlb1981's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's an example of woma
http://www.worldofballpythons.com/morphs/woma/

3.3.0 Royals,Yellow Belly -Marty,Fire YB-Fred,Mojave-Mo,Butter Pinstripe-Betty,Pewter-Newt,Normal-Molly
1.0.0 Kayuadi Retic-Kaa
1.4.0 Dune Geckos
0.1.0 Beardie-Cookie
0.3.7 Tarantulas
Go to Top of Page

Nicola
Hatchling

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2012 :  07:59:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooh the woma is beautiful too! Another one added to the wanted list! How am I ever going to fund this growing by the day passion I've found?! Ive seen a beautiful spider and fire aswell. Seeing the lovely spider tomoro. Oh this is going to be difficult as they are all georgious, but my heart has been set on the spider and after all the info I have found, despite reservations I still desperately want her! excited to see her tomoro... :D

Go to Top of Page

carlb1981
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1527 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2012 :  22:25:04  Show Profile  Visit carlb1981's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just got myself a lovely little spider according to the guy in the reptile room the head wobble isn't as much to worry about as it was years ago

1.0.0 Kayuadi Retic-Kaa
1.4.0 Dune Geckos
0.1.0 Beardie-Cookie
0.3.7 Tarantulas
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2012 :  15:23:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carlb1981

Just got myself a lovely little spider according to the guy in the reptile room the head wobble isn't as much to worry about as it was years ago

Well said, you can always find an extreme example on youtube but most are fine.
The only draw back that i have found is that anything with the Spider gene seems to have terrible aim when striking however they also tend to have a much stronger feeding response.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000