New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sassenach
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  20:59:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My royal has the occasional unsociable spell when she doesn't want to come out and I'm fine with that. However she hasn't been herself for a week now - wouldn't even venture out when I left the viv open. So this evening I decided to check her over. Everything looks and feels okay - no ticks, skin all smooth, eyes bright etc and she was moving about alright (although not as inquisitive as usual and seemingly no great desire to go exploring). I then noticed that she kept turning her head over and pushing it up against anything offering any resistance (chair, floor, my hand) as if she was trying to scratch the top of her head. Never seen her do this before and certainly not repeatedly. Any thoughts ?

jbarlow91
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
897 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  21:10:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has she gone into blue in last few days she might be trying to shed

0.1.0 snow corn Ruby 1.0.0 ghost corn-Oreo
1.0.0 bearded dragon- kato
0.1.0 bearded dragon- keita
1.0.0 cali king-Taz
0.1.0 royal-Clio
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal- Moose
0.1.0 hognose jinxx
Go to Top of Page

Sassenach
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  21:13:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was my first thought but her eyes are still shining. She last shed mid-October.
Go to Top of Page

Fezza
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1063 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  21:17:06  Show Profile  Visit Fezza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds like she's going to shed soon

Leave her to it and have a look in the morning

1.0.0 normal royal
1.0.0 mojave royal
1.0.0 pastel enchi royal
0.1.0 cinnamon royal
0.1.0 pewter royal
0.1.0 genetic stripe royal
0.1.0 lesser goblin royal
0.1.0 phantom royal
0.1.0 Columbian rainbow boa
0.0.1 aru x jaya GTP
0.1.0 bredli
1.0.0 trans pecos rat snake
1.0.0 fat black cat
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
812 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  22:15:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If she's about to shed her eyes would have cleared by the time she starts nose rubbing.
The other behaviour suggests she's going to shed too.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons (Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Gecko (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Fudge, Sox, Raven & Titch)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  19:25:50  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Definitely shedding, keep the humidity up until she does

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  23:16:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely shedding behaviour, not soon, pretty much now! You could miss the 'blue' phase, I often miss Duke's as he is very antisocial.

Go to Top of Page

Kin9Dub
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2013 :  19:37:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i Had this with my little one and i was so worried, i thought she was fitting because she was rubbing herself on anything and everything, coiling around etc, and it turns out she was just trying to start her shed off, in the end i had to assist her, by bathing etc etc, different methods work for different people. don't worry. give her a chance and I'm sure she'll be fine. I'm sure you probably know this stuff but this is what i done, i left her in lukewarm water for around 20- 30 mins occasionally reheating, then i let her go through my hands and peel the shed off, as she would have normally. i left her i eye caps for another week and then used warm water and a cotton bud after attempting visco tears. people say don't do it as you damage their eyes, but in my opinion, if they can rub their heads on rough wood/ surfaces a warm cotton bud will be fine as long as your gentle. i worked from the mouth upwards and it pretty much just fell off after gentle stroking. Hope this helps you, and if you need any other info, I'm sure any of these guys will be happy to help, if not I'll be glad to. Happy shedding.

Edited by - Kin9Dub on 09/01/2013 19:46:39
Go to Top of Page

Zoe
Yearling

187 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2013 :  13:38:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oooh mine has been doing that. Only had him since fri, his eyes went blue on day 3 of ownership, stayed day 4, cleared today (5) and he's become a Wendy bit more active. Still living in his water bowl but it moving about and rubbing his head. He keeps 'yawning' too. Heat 33 and 29c humidity 68% so all seems normal from what you say and I've read

1.0.0 royal python - Oscar
1.1.0 dogs - Rafferty and Florence
Go to Top of Page

plainboy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
53 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2013 :  18:28:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh it is scary when your new to the hobby I'm new to it and every little thing I worry about I check the temps loads when I'm in the house when I get the snake out I alway check him Over lol

Royal python = Samson pomeranian = Todd Newfoundland = Sassy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000