New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

badwool
Sub Adult

658 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2013 :  13:06:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,

Just thought I would tell you all what happened today due to my stupid negligence.

I setup my GTP in another tank - a plastic pennine viv to hold in the humidity because his shed was taking far too long and the exo terra seemed to dry out too quickly.

I have real plants in so purchased a UV tube to help them grow.

I was left with excess cable so I used a large peice of sticky backed velcro to secure the excess wire to the roof ( you can see where this is going )

Anyway the GTP decided to use the cable as a pirch and his weight over time removed the sticky pad away from the roof of the viv.

I have a panicked call from my partner an hour ago to say that he was dangling down with the tape covering half of his face including his eye and a portion of his body.

***** the image below is quite distressing so please dont look if you dont want to******

As you can see he was in very real danger of losing his eye!!!!

FORTUNATELY due to the quick thinking of my partner, she managed, with constant spraying, remove the tape ( partly because he was in shed )..

I havent been able to examine the damage as I wanted to leave him in peace with the lights out but he somehow seems ok..

please please please if you have ANY sticky tape or whatever in your rubs/vivs/tanks remove it straight away....

I feel sick thinking about how much of a****I am for letting this happen.

herriotfan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
812 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2013 :  14:42:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank goodness your other half was able to help. I really hope the snake is ok now.
Thanks for being brave enough to post about this.....let's hope it prevents it happening to anyone else.
It must have taken a lot of courage to admit your own failings to try and help others, I take my hat off to you.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons (Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Gecko (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Fudge, Sox, Raven & Titch)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

badwool
Sub Adult

658 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2013 :  14:54:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
pretty ****ing ashamed to be honest.

Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Yearling

United Kingdom
334 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2013 :  15:45:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
really hope he is o.k

Go to Top of Page

jonoandapril
Yearling

United Kingdom
455 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2013 :  16:54:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
everybody makes mistakes mate, you didnt know the snkae would use it as a perch. if there is no harm done and you have learned something from the experience then dont beat yourself up to much... and buy the gtp a new branch or something as an apology!

1.1.0 corns (amel + carolina)
2.3.0 normal, fire, pastel and 2 bumblebee royals
1.0.0 jungle carpet python
Go to Top of Page

jbarlow91
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
897 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2013 :  17:04:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At least he is ok now mate everyone makes mistakes. Its like they say when keeping reps its all a big learning curve as long as we learn from our mistakes everything will be ok :)

0.1.0 snow corn Ruby 1.0.0 ghost corn-Oreo
1.0.0 bearded dragon- kato
0.1.0 bearded dragon- keita
1.0.0 cali king-Taz
0.1.0 royal-Clio
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal- Moose
0.1.0 hognose jinxx
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2013 :  19:52:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sharing mistakes is what makes us all learn. That could have happened to any one of us so dont beat yourself up. Water or cooking oil (any variety you have to hand) is the best stuff to remove anything adhesive from anything else. If I remember rightly the adhesive on these pads are more gooey/tacky sticky than bonding sticky and being in shed too should keep any damage to a minimum.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2013 :  20:24:23  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Remember their eyes don't work like ours they have a nice strong spectacle scale that covers the eye for exactly this reason (Well not somebody sticking tape on it - but regular damage from foliage etc.) so don't threat too much about it - good for sharing :)

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Cookie
Yearling

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2013 :  20:32:45  Show Profile  Visit Cookie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aww the poor dude hope he's ok when you get a chance to check on him! But as everyone has already said, it's a mistake anyone could have made, but thanks to you we can avoid this. I myself had used tape in my tank too! I used it when trying to stick the probe to the side of the tank but thankfully it wouldn't stick or I could have found myself in a similar situation!

1.2.0 Royal Pythons (Sebastian, Romeo & Gypsy)
Go to Top of Page

Nicola
Hatchling

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2013 :  23:15:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awe I'm so glad he's unstuck and ok! Thankfully he was in shed too. It's one of this things we learn from and thank you for sharing. I've read posts about tape before so have been aware not to use it... And then after reading this, it occurred to me that the cheap dial thermometer I had (I now have digitel) is still in Cecil's house and it's held on with a a very sticky double sided glue tape!!!! It's what it came with so I've never even questioned it till now! And he loves climbing on that dial! I'm am worried sick and mortified that I didn't realise this sooner.... I'm not home until tomorrow and it's coming straight out when I get there! x

0.0.1 California Kingsnake. Cecil
0.1.0 Spider Royal Python. Lexi

Edited by - Nicola on 08/01/2013 23:18:10
Go to Top of Page

badwool
Sub Adult

658 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2013 :  09:52:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks guys,

pleased to say he is looking much better today, and his shed is going well now in his new humid setup.

still havent placed the UV light back into his setup yet as I wanted to give him a day or two in darkness just so he could feel secure again.

so happy he didnt regurge.

Go to Top of Page

Foremand
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
968 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2013 :  13:21:20  Show Profile  Click to see Foremand's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good thinking I say. With my lose cables. On my thread for my boa. My cables were held onto the tank by aqua mate. Squeeze a bit on n push cable in middle. Apply more I'd so. Found it to be safer :)

1.0.0 Royal python- Kaa
1.0.0 German shepherd- Riley
0.3.0 Cats- Does not matter they won't come to you
1.0.0 Red Footed Tortoise- Nemo
1.0.0 Boa- Bison
0.0.1 Brocky- Bearded dragon
Go to Top of Page

Pythonwizard
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
650 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2013 :  15:50:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for this post i used going to remove it didnt half know about the dangers feel like ****
very well needed post
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000