bathing alot
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

longandfat
Snake Mite

4 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  14:01:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
both my royals have spent most of the last two days soaking in the water bowls. i was told that thay dont bath that often unless shedding only had them since 17 feb. had both in one viv for about 10 days but got another viv at the weekend so both have there own space now. is this a sign i am doing something wrong?

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  15:20:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It can be a sign of 4 things.

1- the humidity is too low. Unlikely in the UK humidity is quite high at the moment and you'd have to be running a few dehumidifiers to get under 50%.

2-mites. Snake mites are a massive pain. Look for small black bugs in the bottom of the bowl or under the snakes scale edges.

3- they fancied a bath. They do sometimes just fancy a bath. They may be shedding and the cool water is soothing to the annoyance that is shedding.

4- they are too hot and trying to cool down.

With them both bathing at exactly the same time it would suggest that something is wrong but not necessarily it could jus be coincidence but my money is on either mites or being too hot. Check for mites and check your setup, hot spot temperature should be 33°c and no more than 35°c, a thermostat can hold that temperature perfectly as long as its set with a digital thermometer as the dial thermometers are a bit pants.

Go to Top of Page

Zoe
Yearling

187 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  16:26:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You've answered two of my queries there too, thank you

1.0.0 royal python - Oscar
1.1.0 dogs - Rafferty and Florence
Go to Top of Page

longandfat
Snake Mite

4 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  19:31:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you for a quick and detailed response. i have just cleaned the water in both vivs and found a few mites in the new one...****e...
thay must have come with the viv, it had been used in the shop but they are moving so getting rid of some stock, mites and all it would seem. cheers again.

i now feel itchy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000