Rear of viv rebuilt
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Foremand
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
968 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2013 :  14:19:18  Show Profile  Click to see Foremand's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well done of you may of read my boa broke through the back of the viv the other night. Well now he can't. On my trip around BNQ for the mother. I can across an off cut of MDF. In the clearance. Twice the size for what I needed and 18mm think. At a price of £6. Bargain. So I got them to cut it to my tank size which I hand measured previously.

Today I fitted it. Leaving a gap along the top for an air flow. Not to big of a gap. But can increase it in time to help with temps.

Also fitted a off cut in the middle just for support due to the weight on top. Helps open the glass easier n squares it up nicely.

This is what I took out..

May reuse couple of vents on cool side if it doesn't come down enough.

1.0.0 Royal python- Kaa
1.0.0 German shepherd- Riley
0.3.0 Cats- Does not matter they won't come to you
1.0.0 Red Footed Tortoise- Nemo
1.0.0 Boa- Bison
0.0.1 Brocky- Bearded dragon

Foremand
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
968 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2013 :  14:20:06  Show Profile  Click to see Foremand's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The rear view.

1.0.0 Royal python- Kaa
1.0.0 Boa- Bison
Go to Top of Page

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2013 :  18:24:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that's why vivs with like 1mm or super thin sheet on the back suck.

Good job on the repair :)

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

Foremand
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
968 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2013 :  19:31:58  Show Profile  Click to see Foremand's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah I no lol tried dragging it out. My own fault really. Just need to brighten it up though. Look dull n dark now lmao. Will have to find a back ground or get the paints out :)

1.0.0 Royal python- Kaa
1.0.0 Boa- Bison
Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2013 :  14:48:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can't you cut a piece to size?

1.0.0 Normal corn
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

Foremand
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
968 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2013 :  14:58:44  Show Profile  Click to see Foremand's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Can't I cut a peice to size of what sorry?

1.0.0 Royal python- Kaa
1.0.0 Boa- Bison
Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2013 :  15:19:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cut the mdf to fit the whole back,without that mesh on the top :)

1.0.0 Normal corn
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

Foremand
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
968 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2013 :  15:34:06  Show Profile  Click to see Foremand's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Then I would have no ventilation in the tank. I wanted mesh at the top for air flow otherwise the tank will store all the heat and not give a temp difference

1.0.0 Royal python- Kaa
1.0.0 Boa- Bison
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2013 :  16:48:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to agree that the mesh vs a Boa won't end well. It's fine so they won't see it and will try get out of the gap all the time wounding the snake or failing and letting it out. Also MDF needs sealing with varnish as its porous and the second it gets wet or wee'd on it will blow and be ruined.

I would be tempted to try close that gap and install air vents that are more secure and smaller, ambient temperature will not be maintained at all with such a large hole in the back.

Go to Top of Page

Foremand
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
968 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2013 :  17:10:11  Show Profile  Click to see Foremand's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's only 10mm spaced gaps n he's a 7 foot boa. The mesh is very secure as has multiple places holding it on. Also I had vents in the last one and I been struggling to get a nice difference. As the 4 x 3 inch vents holes wasn't enough. So I thought maybe having a larger cent at top for heat displacement and if I can't get it down ill put a couple of vents at bottom of cool side.

And yeah I'm aware of the consequences with MDF. I'm a carpenter lol it was a quick temp fix as the last back wasn't completely destroyed. I'm seeing what temps are gonna be like. Then play around with it n seal it up.

1.0.0 Royal python- Kaa
1.0.0 Boa- Bison
Go to Top of Page

richard v
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2013 :  18:38:09  Show Profile  Click to see richard v's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
might as well add my thoughts, the viv i first got when i got my boa was very similar to this,had mesh vent along the whole back, it was a nightmare in the winter the heat just goes straight out your be paying to heat your room, not to add the first time she pressed against it it popped,you really would be better off with vents if your a carpenter should be able to knock that up no probs :)
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2013 :  01:03:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not criticising or questioning your knowledge its just I see a few weaknesses that you may struggle with and wanted to be sure you had a plan for them. The wire clips that are securing the mesh at its weakest point will not be sufficient to hold up to the push of a Boa on a mission and once it's pushed the clips out the mesh will just Bend out of the way and it will cruise straight out of the 4cm gap. Should the mesh hold then the attention the gap will get from the snake will basically make the mesh a snake nose grater.

One possible improvement on the design of a full length vent is to install a 3-4cm deep beam about 1cm in front of the vent, cutting its overall opening size and removing the need for the mesh as the first point of contact for a snakes nose as they won't be able to get to it while still maintaining a high rate of ventilation.

Another option are those opening and closing wall vents, they are large enough to provide a high rate of ventilation but can be closed either fully or partially to get the balance right.

I found 2x35mm round vents high up at the hot side and low down for the cold side provided the perfect balance of ventilation and temperature control right from a 3x2 upto a 6x2 (though my corn viv could do with a smidge more ventilation as the ambient is about half a degree off)

Go to Top of Page

Foremand
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
968 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2013 :  01:23:32  Show Profile  Click to see Foremand's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The cable clips have now been replaced. They were there unt I could get to the shop to buy a pack of penny washers to screw the mesh in place. I knew they would be useless but was a temporary fix. But the beam idea seems like a good one.

Even with how it sits now I struggling to get a difference of more than 3c.

I had the vents with the other backing and it gave me no difference. I was constantly battling tryi g to find an answer. Hence why I went for the full vent on the back.

Don't mean to be snappy or against your views. Having a few bad days. I don't mean anything by it. Just being a stubborn git

1.0.0 Royal python- Kaa
1.0.0 Boa- Bison

Edited by - Foremand on 06/07/2013 01:27:54
Go to Top of Page

richard v
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2013 :  13:36:54  Show Profile  Click to see richard v's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
no worries buddy, just telling you of my experience
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000