Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RoyalBram
Hatchling

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2013 :  08:37:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,

The other day I got my new thermometer with temperature probe and put it into the viv. It came with some Velcro sticky back stuff where one bit sticks to the wall and the other bit Velcro's together so that the wire can be kept in place.

Last night I checked Rebel, I don't know why but I had only just checked on him a few minutes before and he had managed to get the wire and sticky back Velcro off the wall and stuck to his head!!

I was in shock for a bit as obviously he was quite distressed and I didn't know what to do. I had to get it off quickly so as not to stress him anymore, but it has now left some glue residue on the top of his head. He seems fine in himself but I have no clue what to do now?!

I was thinking maybe vegetable oil on a cotton bud? (I have seen they use this to release snakes from traps in the US)

Will he repair on his next shed?

Please help as I am VERY worried.

Bram

Edited by - RoyalBram on 25/07/2013 08:41:19

richard v
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2013 :  09:17:49  Show Profile  Click to see richard v's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He should be fine, you can give it a little rub over with a cotton bud or wool pads. If it has left a mark, I'm pretty sure it will go over the next few sheds. its a good idea not to put anything sticky in your viv really as you now have found out :),what thermometer did you get in the end, all you need to do is place the probe in desired place through the vent then use the telephone cable fixings to keep the wire in place, the digital reader should go outside your viv on the top or in front of so you can read it easily. Hope that helps.
Go to Top of Page

RoyalBram
Hatchling

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2013 :  09:49:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Richard,

Thanks so much, I got the Lucky Reptile Thermometer Deluxe which came with the sticky back Velcro, I had it set up exactly how you said but used the provided sticky back velcro. I need to get some small telephone wire fixings later... Believe me LESSON LEARNT!

I have spoken to two separate vets this morning and they both advised exactly what you did, they said to use cotton buds and water or very mild baby soap and to possibly give him a warm bath so as to accelerate which I will do later as I have just treated him this morning.

It look like he's pretty happy within himself, we've not had the greatest of starts but my admiration for him is growing all the time, he's very docile and is happily handled. Love him!!

Bram
Go to Top of Page

richard v
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2013 :  10:35:00  Show Profile  Click to see richard v's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That's good then, makes me sound like I know what I'm talking abou :) , he will be fine glad they reassured you.
Panic over :)
Go to Top of Page

phlegmatical
Yearling

United Kingdom
403 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2013 :  10:52:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought that thermometer a few weeks ago. I'm pleased with it!
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2013 :  12:08:48  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
A good rule when dealing with snake enclosures is to never ever ever use anything adhesive, not glue or velcro or tape. The only thing I use to secure A to B are zip-ties.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2013 :  16:05:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The velcro is meant to go on the outside of the viv,to stick the housing to the outside wall.

Aslong as it didn't get in his eyes,You should be able to get it of.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2013 :  20:04:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It shouldn't cause any problems with the skin, just stick some baby powder on it so its no longer sticky and it will shed off, it saves any traumatic head pinning that way. That's what I'd do.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000