New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jonnyc1988
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
908 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2013 :  17:30:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now I've finally decided to bite the bullet and start breeding snakes (more like the Missus has given the go ahead) I just wanted to express some of my biggest fears involved with breeding.
I get very attached to things, especially animals. I'm terrified when I get a clutch of snakes I'm not gonna want to get rid of them. But I'm gonna know I can't keep them.
I'm also very worried that at some point one of my babies is going to be sold to someone who mistreats it and doesnt look after it properly. I know I won't know it's happening, but now I will worry it will happen every time I sell a snake.

Does anyone else think about these things?

1.0.0 Pastel Royal Python - Juju CB11
0.1.0 Western Hognose - Hetti CB12
1.0.0 Fire Harlequin Crested Gecko - Jasper CB13
0.1.0 Het Kahl Common Boa (bci) - Pandora CB13
1.3.0 Viper geckos
1.1.0 66% PH Toffee 50% Kayuadi reticulated pythons
0.1.0 Platinum Tiger Reticulated python

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2013 :  18:06:44  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jonnyc1988

Now I've finally decided to bite the bullet and start breeding snakes (more like the Missus has given the go ahead) I just wanted to express some of my biggest fears involved with breeding.
I get very attached to things, especially animals. I'm terrified when I get a clutch of snakes I'm not gonna want to get rid of them. But I'm gonna know I can't keep them.
I'm also very worried that at some point one of my babies is going to be sold to someone who mistreats it and doesnt look after it properly. I know I won't know it's happening, but now I will worry it will happen every time I sell a snake.

Does anyone else think about these things?

Those things are what separate breeders from keepers. Until you try you won't know but when we all started and even further along (I'm on baby #85 born with me so far) still think the same.

You can try your best but at some point you'll end up having an animal go to somebody less than perfect, I've had it myself a few times unfortunately most of the time you can't tell these people apart - they'll be enthusiastic and knowledgeable but you just can't tell how they're going to feel about the snake in 4-5 months, most of the time you'll see it on their facebook for sale and it'll upset you, still that's a better alternative than having them keep it and mistreat it.

As for getting rid of the snakes if you're like me nothing will be better than seeing somebodies face light up when you put your little hatchling in their hands for the first time. It's difficult to say bye to them at the start but I think it beats the feeling of keeping them yourself knowing you're bringing another person into our hobby.

Like I said until you try it you'll never know :)

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

jonnyc1988
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
908 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2013 :  21:57:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, yeah I agree that it will feel good giving away a snake to someone who seems so excited about keeping it. That will be special :)

1.3.0 Viper geckos
Go to Top of Page

jonoandapril
Yearling

United Kingdom
455 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2013 :  11:19:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iv just started with the breeding and the wife is very attached to tye new hatchies. We got round it by having buyers lined up before they hatched so we never really thought of them as ours to keep. As for the wrong people buying them, im happy iv found good homes but still always will offer to take them back should the new owner become uninterested or not really very good at looking after them. Tha way id like to think if the worst comes to the worst id be able to restore some kind of normality to the snakes life.
Thats how im going to go ahead with this new part of the hobby anyway...

1.1.0 corns (amel + carolina)
2.3.0 normal, fire, pastel and 2 bumblebee royals
1.0.0 jungle carpet python
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2013 :  13:19:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations for coming on here with your worries, there are too many people breeding far to many pets without any concern for their welfare, be it cats,dogs or reptiles.
Your concerns are very real but there are a couple you haven`t mentioned -
If you have a clutch and some need assist feeding to get them started are you happy to do this, do you have someone to show you?
Now the big one, what are you going to do if you can`t sell them?
You have no idea of how many you`ll have and what they will be, you could end up with a bunch of Normal males that you might struggle to give away let alone sell. Even some of the desirable months of last year etc are now hard to shift.
Im not trying to put you off in any way but you have to be prepared to look after any you hatch indefinately.
The best advice i was ever given by a breeder was do it because you want them, and not for a way of making money from selling them.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

jonnyc1988
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
908 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2013 :  17:00:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I have considered these possibilites. Spoke to 5 of my local shops asking about there interest in taking snakes off my hands. All of which said they would do. I would like to have a go at selling privately first, but failing that I have plenty of good back ups. Also Im good friends with a lad at my local shop who has bred absolutely everything. He said he would definitely be willing to help with any hands on problems that may occur.

1.3.0 Viper geckos
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2013 :  17:06:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent to see someone doing their homework

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

jonnyc1988
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
908 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2013 :  19:22:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It took me a long time to commit to doing this. It's all I've wanted for a while, but I knew I couldn't just rush in!

1.3.0 Viper geckos
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: