New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tony1983
Snake Mite

11 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2014 :  13:30:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys,

I posted this on FB a few days back but as yet have had no response, So I'll try here.

I got my first royal 2 weeks ago, he's around 2 years old and he's in a large exo Glass viv. He has a heat mat covered so he cant get directly on it and statted to 30-31c, this is placed under his large hide.

I know glass vivs can be problematic with heating, and what I want to do is add a heat lamp CHE and fixture to the top of his meshed roof to create a more ambient temp, whilst still keeping the mat statted below the hide, possibly more central to teh viv at a lower temp to aid ambiant temp.

As stated i have a meshed top tank and my temps are stable right now but would prefer a CHE also.

So i would like to qask the audience about what would be the best CHE/fixture to use on top of the mesh pointing over the hide. and which would be the best pulse stat, also where to place the probe on the pulse for best effect.

I do a lot of shopping at swell reptiles, so if anyone can link some items i should buy i'd be appreciative.

Thanks

Tony

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2014 :  16:32:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not too sure how you would actually go about fitting a ceramic bulb an ceramic fitting into an exo terra without making a wooden lid/top as you also need to fit a guard round the bulb

there's no point in having a ceramic and a heat mat setup in there, if you can fit a ceramic the mat will rarely if ever come on due to the space being heated by the ceramic.

to be honest you would be better off getting a wooden viv then setting it up with a ceramic bulb/guard

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

Tony1983
Snake Mite

11 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2014 :  17:31:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have heard of ppl using a guard which stands on top of mesh lids :) I could attach a guarded fitting inside if the mesh by bending the holes slightly more open, and poking the cable though. If that makes sense?

I have my other snakes in wooden vivs. But max came with this one when I bought him, my temps are fine and he can't get directly on to the mat so hopefully thermal hot spots won't be an issue, but I know a CHE would be better til I get a wooden one if I do, he's been in this tank since he was young and he's never missed a feed, and has fed since I got him fine. I have the back and 2 sides covered with backing for privacy and I have plenty in there to occupy him, but obviously I'm looking always to improve :)
Go to Top of Page

chrisc

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  09:15:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
suppose you could sit an exo terra dome fitting on top of the mesh but personally i would not due to the risk of something getting burnt/melting
also with any heat source on the outside it will just be wasting lot's of heat/electric due to heating the area round it an not an inclosed space.

not quite sure what you mean to be honest but any light fitting/guard attached to the mesh would not be strong enough in my opinion and could easily be pulled off when climbed on

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

Tony1983
Snake Mite

11 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  14:26:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still toying with the idea of going wooden. Not sure which one to pick though - :)
Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2014 :  16:58:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Problem i've found,as stated in my reply to your other thread is..The mesh top of the tank gets super hot if anything other then a light emitting bulb is used.Plus the plastic on top limits where you can place the heat.

You can buy a bracket and hang the holder over the top :)or buy a dome and put a red or basking spot in it :) but you'll need to turn the spot of at night,if it's a light emitting one,other then red :) Its going to cost alot more to heat and replace bulbs.

there fine for mats,basking bulbs in domes etc.But trying to mount anything else will be a pain :)

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic