New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

phlegmatical
Yearling

United Kingdom
403 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2014 :  13:20:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My bci who never comes out his hide (but is feeding regular after months and months of being fussy) is at least 2 and a half years old and in the last year has only grown just under 1/2 a foot. At 4.5ft I'm starting to think he won't be growing much more so I'm thinking about moving him back into a 36x24x18 as he doesn't use any of the space provided and his 4x2x2 could go to better use! Any thoughts?

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2014 :  17:30:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
at only 2 1/2 id say he's still got some growing to do plus with the not feeding before hes probably got some catching up to do.
as he is now feeding regularly i would leave him where he is
any pics of the viv an what you have in there like plant's, branches ect?

my boa william rarely does anything or moves to be honest

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

phlegmatical
Yearling

United Kingdom
403 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2014 :  19:33:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a hide both ends and a few fake plants and rocks. I did have a big branch but took it out as he never used it! I don't mind him having the 4x2 but thought one of the others will use all the space...

Edited by - phlegmatical on 09/04/2014 19:34:16
Go to Top of Page

chrisc

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2014 :  19:47:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
william rarely climbed so i nicked the branches for a different viv but will put some back in there or a shelf at some point soon.

what heating are you using an what's the hot end temp?

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

incubate 2 campaign
Go to Top of Page

phlegmatical
Yearling

United Kingdom
403 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2014 :  20:02:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ceramic. I've lowered hot end right down to 30. He was spending all his time at cold end so I kept lowering it until he starting using both hides and is eating regular. I'm happy with his setup and how he is generally now. Just don't have room for another 4x2x2 viv so if he don't use all his space I wanted to give it to one of the other snakes (or get another haha)
Go to Top of Page

chrisc

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2014 :  04:47:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have william's hot end set to around 30 for the same reason, any hotter an he doesnt move from the cold end.

up to you but eventually hes very likely to need a 4x2x2 so you would be stuck if that space was given to another snake an then not have room for a 4x2x2 for the boa

incubate 2 campaign
Go to Top of Page

phlegmatical
Yearling

United Kingdom
403 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2014 :  06:18:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True. That's the only thing that's holding me back moving him. What age did William slow down on his growth? 2.5 is a guess on his age as a minimum he could be
Go to Top of Page

chrisc

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2014 :  07:06:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
William was adult and around 7ft when I got him so not sure on his growth rate

incubate 2 campaign
Go to Top of Page

red123
Hatchling

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2014 :  09:51:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if this will help at all but it might. We got my boa when she was 4ft and weighing 1kg. We have had her for 15 months and she has grown rapidly now measuring at 6ft and weighing 4.5kg. Although we bought her as female we can be shore as have not had her probed. Her age is bit of a grey area. We bough her supposedly aged just over 1 year but I have managed to track where her original owners sold her to and they say she was more like 2.5 yrs when they had her so she is between 2 - 3.5 years old and they felt she was a BCI x BCC but again no proof of this.
Like yours she spends her days hiding away in hides or in a corner behind the hides. At night it all changes though. She is becoming more and more active during the night. If we creep down 9 times out of 10 she is out and about exploring. Have even found some plants pulled down over the last few days so really pleased with this. Yours might be the same and actually uses more space than you realise.

Corn Snakes
1.0.0 Amel (Stan)

Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)
1.0.0 Albino (Tony)

Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 Agatha

Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal(Stevie)

Honduran Milk Snake
0.0.1 Tri-coloured (Bryan)

0.0.1 Schneinder Skink (George )
0.2.0 Wild Type (no Hets) Leopard Geckos (Tilly & Belle)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
13 GALS

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 2 Texel Guniea Pigs (Richard & Roger), 1 Rex Guniea Pig (Eli), 1 Smooth Coated Guinea Pig (Ted), 6 Rescued Hens, 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

phlegmatical
Yearling

United Kingdom
403 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2014 :  12:46:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is interesting as I bought mine as a male at 4 ft and about 1.3kg and was told he was just over a year.

Now 14 months on he is 4.5ft and 2kg.

Almost identical storied but a massive size difference!
Go to Top of Page

red123
Hatchling

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2014 :  13:28:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Her shedding rate has slowed down to roughly every 7-8 weeks as I have extended the time between feeds to 3 weeks, she is eating xl rats weighing around 400g at present.

Corn Snakes
1.0.0 Amel (Stan)

Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)
1.0.0 Albino (Tony)

0.1.0 Agatha

Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal(Stevie)

Honduran Milk Snake

13 GALS

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 2 Texel Guniea Pigs (Richard & Roger), 1 Rex Guniea Pig (Eli), 1 Smooth Coated Guinea Pig (Ted), 6 Rescued Hens, 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

phlegmatical
Yearling

United Kingdom
403 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2014 :  14:11:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd say mine sheds about the same rate and is on small/medium rats every 2 weeks. See all this says to me he isn't going to grow much more. Maybe being off food for so long has stunted his growth...If that happens? I'm not sure if it does or not
Go to Top of Page

red123
Hatchling

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2014 :  17:09:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I guess he still has the potential to grow another foot or two realistically considering they never actually stop growing. I wouldn't have thought the fussy feeding would actually stunt his growth but simply made him a little slower at growing. I would personally keep him in his 4 x 2 as he will need this size at least anyway. Why not get a smaller snake to go in his old viv if you don't like empty vivs, I'm just the same lol.

Corn Snakes
1.0.0 Amel (Stan)

Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)
1.0.0 Albino (Tony)

0.1.0 Agatha

Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal(Stevie)

Honduran Milk Snake

13 GALS

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000