New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lewy
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
10260 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2009 :  13:22:48  Show Profile  Visit Lewy's Homepage
I asked Kaz if this would be a good idea and she never squirmed so here is how i set up a 9L rub.

Many problems people have with young/baby royals is down to how they are housed.

This size RUB can be used for young royals, I have added two types of set up, the first one is for royals that are not feeding or proving difficult to feed consistently, the second one is for normal young royals who are established feeders, and the photo is courtesy of BlackEcho.

You will need the following items for your rub.

RUB ( Really Useful Box)

Heat Mat

Mat Stat & Digital Thermometer x2 or One With Two Probes

Substrate, you could use Kitchen roll/Newspaper or Aspen

Hides moss box (optional) and a water bowl

and a drill for making small ventilation holes in the lid and sides of the rub.

This is one finished RUB that is currently being used for a difficult feeding royal.

The use of so many hides in this RUB is to help make the young snake feel secure, you may not need so many in your RUB (see image below), but most royals like to feel cramped.

With this RUB i also surround it with cardboard to make it darker and more secure.

To Start with I drilled holes in the sides of the rub and also 10 more across the top,

these holes do not need to be big just enough to allow air to circulate and still retain heat.

I then added my substrate, for this i use kitchen roll as it is safe for feeding in the rub, but you can use aspen.

I then added the hides.

Because i am using two hides in this RUB i placed the heatmat stat probe in between the two hides, along with the digital thermometer probe, to place the probes you will need to drill a hole big enough for the probe to fit through.
Depending on the thickness of your thermometer wire you may need to add a second hole for this probe. Mine fits nicely through the lid without having to worry about any escapees getting through the gap.

If you are using a single hide in the warm end, then it is recommended to place both the thermostat probe and the digital thermometer probe inside the warm end hide.

WARNING without a mat stat the temperature of an unstatted heatmat can quickly reach temperatures of 45°C (115°F). This can lead to serious burns to your snake.

In the cool end i have added on hide and a moss box, the moss box is there to aid the snake when it is going to shed.

This link shows you how to prepare moss

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=710

I use a small margarine tub, and cut a hole in the front, making sure there are no sharp edges to the entrance that the snake can cut itself on and add the moss.

I put the water bowl in and a small cut down plant pot.

Finally i place the RUB on top of the heat mat.

Image courtesy of Blackecho.

The mat should cover one-third to one-half of the viv, to ensure that a temperature gradient is created.

This is the second RUB in this one you can clearly see the probes going into the rub, again there is a nice hide in the warm end a moss box water bowl and another hide.

Image courtesy of Blackecho

I hope this will be of use, if anything needs changing please say so
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000