How to set up a viv by Wolfspirit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kazerella
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
1196 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2009 :  19:46:05  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I asked Kaz if i could do this so here it is.

This is my final guide and is a brief description of how i set up my 36x24x24 viv using a ceramic heat bulb.

1, Empty viv with just ceramic heat bulb , any heat source must always be run with a stat and in the case of a bulb, it must always be guarded with a strong bulb guard.

2. Add the substrate, i use kitchen roll or newspaper, purely for ease of cleaning and because i feed in the viv, so i want to make sure nothing else is swallowed, but you can use aspen as well.

3. Then i add the hides and also a ceramic stone so my royal can get belly heat if he wants to. I position them at the back to help him feel more secure.

4. Next i added the water bowl to the cool end and some wood branches for him to climb these have been soaked in a bleach solution then thoroughly rinsed and left to dry and the bark stripped before adding to the viv.

5. Then i added some plants to give a bit more cover ( you can add much more greenery if you like ) and a moss box made from a margarine tub, its now his fave hide.

6. Last but not least, i set up the pulse stat and the digital thermometer probe tied them together and place mine under the heat source. There is also another digital thermometer in the cool end

my temps are set at 31 in the hot end and 27 in the cool end

If the viv is a new one, it is best to leave it set up like this for a day or so to check the temps are ok.

7. Finally the last thing that is needed is the snake.

thats it in a nutshell , just to give you an idea of setting up a viv for your royal..

snewchybewchy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  22:24:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is the ceramic rock a hot rock ? i fot they were dangerious because of burning the animal too much. does that happen with you ?
Go to Top of Page

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  23:09:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think its just a flat rock that is warmed by the heat lamp above, so in theory it will never be hotter that the stat allows as the probe is just above the rock

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000