How to build a vivarium by Hodgie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  07:36:42  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Once you`ve bought your first Royal you`ll quickly find that you`ll need another Viv for your next purchase
If your like me you`ll be up for making one yourself.

So this is what you`ll need for a 2ft Viv.

2x pieces of wood 610mm - 380mm (top & bottom)
2x pieces of wood 380mm - 350mm (sides)
1x piece of wood 575mm - 350mm (back)
2x pieces of wood 570mm - 70mm (front)
1x tub of No More Nails or other wood glue.
1x dowling rod
1x plastic plant pot.
1x packet of cable clips.
Multiple purpose garden mesh
1x drill + drill bit same size as dowling rod.
1x supervisor (we`ll come to that later)
Glass runners and perspex.
You`ll notice that i`ve decided not to use nails as i wanted a stronger unit.

First you need to cut the bottom off the plant pot, this is your vent. Cut a hole in the back piece of wood and use the clips to lock it into place.

Now you need to cut your dowling rod into 20mm pieces, you`ll need about 30 of them.

Next get your back and side pieces and drill the holes for the dowling rods as shown in the picture. Do them at even intervals around the top and bottom edges for added strength. Put a small blob of glue on the end of each rod and tap it lightly into the hole with a small hammer.
Drill the 3 holes to join the edges to the back. (marked with yellow arrows) once they are in place line up Side A with the back and mark where the holes need to be drilled.

DO NOT GLUE ANYTHING TOGETHER YET.

Once your happy that these 3 pieces are all lined up perfectly you then need to line up each piece with the bottom board (marked with yellow arrows again).
You`ll see that i have already stuck the bottom ledge into place.

Once this is done you can push it all together to make sure there is a nice tight fit. If for some reason you haven`t lined a piece up properly just make new holes and put some new rods into place.

Now take it apart and do it all again with the top piece.
Once this is done put a line of glue along the back and sides to join them to the bottom piece.
Then glue the top into place.
Now you need something really heavy to sit on top of the Viv. I used a spare wheel off my car. If you have someone to keep an eye on it give them a shout.

I have quickly painted some boat varnish along the inside joins to seal any gaps.
You now need to drill the holes to add your heat source. I`ve used a reptile radiator. Use some multipurpose garden mesh (from B&Q) to make a heatguard and clip it into place

Now glue your runners into place.
I decided to use perspex instead of glass as its safer.
Now you need to leave it to get to the correct temps and again get someone to keep an eye on it for you.

Once everything is correct introduce your Royal to his or her new home.

Edited by - Blackecho on 08/07/2009 07:38:19

lewman
Hatchling

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2013 :  17:05:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Might have a blast myself. Already want another but cash is low. :)

1.0.0 common royal - Kahn CB12/13
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000