New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Simonas
Yearling

United Kingdom
162 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  09:35:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm only curious as I've never seen the topic raised inthe short time I've used the forum

I assume to breed you have to keep a male and female togethr, can they remain together in marital bliss for their lives or do they have to be seperated after the deed due to the unnatural living conditions

How bout any other snakes? can they share a viv? IOf not is it due torisk of cross infection or due to likely aggression/territorialness?

Sorry if these are basic questions but I am a snake novice

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  09:45:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I havent bred before but as far as i can tell most people remove the male and female from their vivs/rubs and put them somewhere else until they have locked up then put them back in their vivs.
there are several reasons why a lot of peope dont co habitate their royals.
* You do not know who has pooped
* unless you are confident that you can definately tell them apart, knowing who has fed and who hasnt can be hard.
* Quarantine will still need to be done which will involve having 2 set ups anyway
* there is always the chance that one may eat/attack the other
* they could get stressed out living together.
* 1 gets mites, the other definately will too.
* If you keep a male and female in together you risk them breeding at every given opportunity, this can be very detrimental to the females health, in terms of valuable nutrients being constantly used, and could also result in the female becoming eggbound.

A lot of people DO succesfully cohabitate their royals, however the general concensus appears to be that it it just not worth the risk.

cohabiting royals with another species is a no no too, for the reasons above, also their requirements will probably be very different as well as if it's with the boa types there is the risk of IBD.

Cohabiting other species together in general is also a no for the above reasons, however there are some snakes i.e rough green snakes who can be succesfully kept communally.

I expect there are more reasons to add against co habiting but that's all i can think of atm.
Hope this helps :)

Edited by - MissCat on 04/10/2009 09:47:38
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  09:46:17  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
In the wild they only come together to breed. The male may keep pestering her. Females are unlikely to feed during the breeding period. There is a dominance risk with them both wanting the best spot etc etc.

Yes they 'can' be kept together, but yes there are risks. Personally, any unnecessary risk is too high for me.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  09:46:44  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Too quick for me MC

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  09:49:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Too quick for me MC

LOL which is amusing considering the length of my post :/ hope i got it right though.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  09:50:08  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't bothered to read it, its always right.

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  09:51:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I haven't bothered to read it, its always right.

lol i wouldn't be too confident with my advice :/
Go to Top of Page

Simonas
Yearling

United Kingdom
162 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  09:56:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fantastic response thanks very much and it clears that up for me

cheers
Go to Top of Page

matty198111
Yearling

United Kingdom
174 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  10:43:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As most on here know myself and my brother in law do co habit our royals, he has 4 males and i have 2.

i keep my 2 together and my bro in law keeps his in 2s but when its feeding time we split them up and put them into seperate rubs.
He has 2 13 year olds that have been together since hatching and he also has 2 18 year olds that have also been together since hatching.
my 2 are cb feb 09 and they also have been together from the begining.

i keep mine in a 4ft viv with at least 10 hides plus there is loads of rocks,bark,plastic plants and a bob the builder figure ( my sons idea ).
my bro in laws setup is pretty much the same as mine ( with out a bob the builder )

each pair of snakes are from the same clutch so there all with brothers, dont know if that makes a difference but they all seem fine with it,
i have a 100% feeding record and although my bro in laws have slowed down eating abit they still take food each time its offered to them.

as ive said in previous posts im new to this and wouldnt disagree with any of the long timers on this site as there knowledge is huge.
all i will say is that for me and my bro in law it seems to be working, this could be due to the fact there brothers or the conditions of there vivs or maybe every snake is different and some can co habit and some cant.

sorry for the long reply

mat
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  16:43:31  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mat, as we said above, it will be fine probably 90%, maybe even more of the time, but it is unquestionable that any risks there may be with co-habitation are removed by keeping separately.

So its down to whether you personally are willing to take risks with your pets.

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  18:44:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
was it you who knew someone BE that had kept royals together for years then found one day that one had killed the other?

cant remember...

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

matty198111
Yearling

United Kingdom
174 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  18:54:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Mat, as we said above, it will be fine probably 90%, maybe even more of the time, but it is unquestionable that any risks there may be with co-habitation are removed by keeping separately.

So its down to whether you personally are willing to take risks with your pets.

maybe i worded my post wrong, cause i wasnt tryin to be funny or have a dig, i just meant that it works for us but before people do it they should research it as when they buy a royal.

sorry if i sounded abit s****y i honestly didnt mean to

mat
Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  19:38:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess this is actually the third or fourth time this subject has been raised with in the last 6months. and I know that i asked when i first joined the forum. Would it be a good idea to have it as a sticky some where with the pro's and con's listed. And perhaps a post from BE on the matter and one from Matty198111. ???

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
1.0.0 Yellow Bellied Turtle
Go to Top of Page

Simonas
Yearling

United Kingdom
162 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  19:47:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good idea Spor

As I say I suspected that you couldn;t but wated the definitive answer which I knew I;d get on here
Go to Top of Page

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  10:19:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd agree with either stickying this, or knocking together a FAQ as I've certainly seen a few people ask about co-habiting.

Personally I wouldn't, they live alone in the wild plus all the reasons listed above.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Princess
0.1.0 BCI - Feather
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  12:07:32  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think there is a good thread on TCS we could just link to?

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  12:08:23  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Matty, no offence taken , sorry if my reply sounded short.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000