New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ruxpin64
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  19:52:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i picked up my first lil royal today, a few things that have to be done tho, there was no stat with him which isnt good so that will be addressed more worryingly no thermomitor :S luckily i had a spare, and only the one hide, also his heat matter is uncovered, any suggestions as to wether thats good or not, or weather i should cover it with something ie lyno or such. i would assume so.
however he himself on the brightside looks healthy and he is surprisingly friendly not scared at all, and very inquisitive and decided to get tangled up in my friends hair lol. alo i did notice some marks on his stomach after he got home that alo he has just shed so as ive read on here pinky marks not uncommon but shall keep an eye on that.

anywho here he is climbing and checkin stuff out..

havent settled on a name yet so at the moment he's just he lol.

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  20:18:24  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
By heating issue, do you mean heat mat, ceramic, or heat bulb. If a heatmat, then the substrate over the top of it will be fine, just make sure that your heatmat is stuck down with something, my royal used to bury herself under the substrate and sometimes lift the heat mat up, that was before i changed her heating to a bulb.
Yea you will need a stat heat mats can get to 140oF very quickly but keep a good eye on it until you can get that all sorted out. If you are using a bulb, i use a dimmer stat, its very good in my opinion, and also you will need a bulb guard because snakes cant feel themselves getting burnt easily, and they can suffer quite badly, there is a light guard sticky on this forum showing the benefits of a light guard

there will be someone more experienced replying to this most likely, so you will get all the help with them

lovely royal by the way
Go to Top of Page

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  20:19:07  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
also a box with a hole in the side will be suitable enough for a replacement for the missing hide
Go to Top of Page

ruxpin64
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  20:53:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah the heat mat, and it does look a tad warm, shall give him a clean out tonight. before i let him settle completley for a week, so i know hes all good, and also give me a chance to sort out any other issues. and yeah will have plenty of boxes ive just moved lol.

just so surprised how calm and friendly he was, i expected the ball treatment, or for him to be jumpy, but instead he just crawled up my arms and chest exploring very cute.

and i think i like hobbs as a name, as i quite like calvin and hobbs :)

and shall get him a stat tomorrow i live like a minute away from a reptile shop :D so all good. and u say about the temps hopefuly thats not what the small marks are, alo they don't look that serious so im assuming just the shed.

oh and thanks. and good to meet you and get your advice btw.
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  21:16:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

if he is in a viv why dont you get a ceramic or infra red rather than a heat mat..

you will get a better temp with these and your ambient temps will be better to..

lovely royal by the way

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  21:18:12  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
most likely. A week or so ago I felt the light guard and it was quite hot and the next day my Royal, Boo, had a pink belly, but she is going through shedding.

I was suprised about the tempermeant off the royal. I thought i would have to be waiting a week for mine to settle in but within 11 hours, hehe, she was out exploring. Never bitten always eaten her food, she is a bin

nice to meet you too
Go to Top of Page

ruxpin64
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  21:26:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i shall look into, the ceramic and infra red tomorrow, thanks for the suggestion :) any idea what sort of watt tho. and thanks :)
Go to Top of Page

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  21:36:29  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What size is the vivarium???
My vivarium is 3ft and I have a 60w red heat bulb powering it. I have a dimmer thermostat which is set to 32oC. From where the probe is this gives me a temperature of 31.4oC in the hot end and a few degrees less in the cool end, about 27oC. I dont bother with night temperatures, these temperatures are constant throughout.
Go to Top of Page

ruxpin64
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  21:43:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mines a 3ft also, so ok shall check out costs and stuff in the morning. and make mr hobbs (yeh its stuck :P) viv all cosy nice. lol. chiz for the heads up. :)
Go to Top of Page

reptilekeeper1992
Yearling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  22:11:58  Show Profile  Click to see reptilekeeper1992's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
no problem, one snake lover helping another (and you wolfspirit!!!!).

by the way, love the name
Go to Top of Page

ruxpin64
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  22:32:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hobbe's has other ideas about cleaning and is now clung to a tree. sigh...lol
Go to Top of Page

ruxpin64
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  23:43:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorted not that he co-operated, secured the heat mat, and sorted the substrate level so the temps around just over 30oC so hopefuly that'll do him for the evening. also gave him a lil box hide for the cool end, :) anywho thanks again both of you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000