Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Photos
 When I gave my snake a bath... (help appreciated)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pfleming
Yearling

247 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  13:51:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well this is what happened when i gave him/her a bath because s/he needed help shedding. I did everything right (i think) but it went a bit mad, i imagine due to stress/being scared. any help would be appreciated to avoid it in the future...

So i set up the bath, water temperature at 32*C, measured with a digi therm.

Next i slowly placed my snake in the water. Still in a curled up ball:

http://s908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/pfleming_2010/?action=view¤t=S1051049.flv

S/He allways seems to stare at me no matter where i move.. as if he thinks im a predator.

I gently stroked off some of the skin in the bath, then S/He seemed to go mad..

http://s908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/pfleming_2010/?action=view¤t=S1051052.flv

I managed to get him out and put him in the towel:

Carefully wiped down his skin veyr gently. Then he started striking at me, numerous times, he turned and once again stared at me intently, before striking once more.

I got him back to the viv without any issues im just concerned that S/He wont tame down..

edit...tried to edit links

0.0.1 Royal Python!

Edited by - lee2308 on 07/02/2010 15:30:03

pfleming
Yearling

247 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  14:06:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well atleast S/He seems to be totally shed now, eyecaps n'all. Will leave Him/her totally alone now until i try to feed next saturday (refused food yesterday - probably due to being mid shed)

0.0.1 Royal Python!
Go to Top of Page

pfleming
Yearling

247 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  14:38:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thinking about this again, would it be better to try handling more reguarly, like every other day for 15minutes or so? so the snake learns that i wont hurt it, im not a predator and it tames down? im not sure which is best.

0.0.1 Royal Python!
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  15:07:05  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Its a tiny snake in a huge bath, you could try in a washing up bowl or something smaller.

Some snakes just don't like water.

Go to Top of Page

Danny Action1
Yearling

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  15:34:53  Show Profile  Click to see Danny Action1's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Try useing a R.U.B and then cover so he or she is in the dark

0.1.0 Lemmon Pastel
0.1.0 Albino
1.0.0 Spider
1.0.0 Pastel
1.1.0 Mojave
1.0.0 Het Pied
0.1.0 Pied
0.1.0 Pinstripe
1.0.0 Double het Caramel Glow
0.1.0 Het Orange Ghost
0.1.0 Het Caramel
Go to Top of Page

pfleming
Yearling

247 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  15:42:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the help, so you reckon that the snake is stressed out, and thats why he is angry? - i did try him in a washing up bowl yesterday infact, and covered it over so he was in the dark and i didnt have problems with that.

In regards to where do we go now, should i leave it alone or try and encourage a bit of handling every day or two?

0.0.1 Royal Python!
Go to Top of Page

MrLee
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  11:49:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 1st time I bathed Reg I used the bath, Dont think he was angry but he wasn't happy.
Next time I used a Pyrex lasagne dish haha dont think he wanted to get out!
I'd keep hndling the Royal though to help its confidence, weather I'm right or not though I dont know.

1.0.0 Royal Python "Reg" Hatched 1-3-09
Go to Top of Page

pfleming
Yearling

247 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  18:35:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When i hold it in my cupped hands it is allways curled in a ball.

Perhaps if i do this every other day for 5minutes or so, it will learn its not going to get hurt and might become more curois, and start moving :D

0.0.1 Royal Python!
Go to Top of Page

pfleming
Yearling

247 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  16:30:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been taking him out every day for 5minutes or so, letting him sit on my knee and gently stroking. then putting back gently.

no strikes to report.

also he is coming out of his hide a lot at night once the viv light turns out.. :)

0.0.1 Royal Python!
Go to Top of Page

Welly
Yearling

United Kingdom
423 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  18:12:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pfleming

Been taking him out every day for 5minutes or so, letting him sit on my knee and gently stroking. then putting back gently.

no strikes to report.

also he is coming out of his hide a lot at night once the viv light turns out.. :)

Sabre is like that. She likes to sit on the table and watch the laptop. At night she gets out and climbs about loads

0.1.0 Royal Python
0.0.1 Mexican Black King
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
Go to Top of Page

pfleming
Yearling

247 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  18:55:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hehe, i hope soon if i keep this up he is tempted to move around my lap and i can start to hold him like a real snake, let him play round my fingers lol.

just need to prove im not a threat (at the moment his neck is allways in an S - he feels threatened) want to get him to move around of his own accord with a straigthened neck

0.0.1 Royal Python!
Go to Top of Page

Welly
Yearling

United Kingdom
423 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  20:58:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Takes about 5 minutes for her to get comfortable before she starts to wriggle around

0.1.0 Royal Python
0.0.1 Mexican Black King
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
Go to Top of Page

pfleming
Yearling

247 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  23:27:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hmm okay thats a help, maybe ill give it a little longer, cheers :)

0.0.1 Royal Python!
Go to Top of Page

pfleming
Yearling

247 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2010 :  11:03:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and S/he just ate again after missing one week for shedding :)
really growing fast now!

0.0.1 Royal Python!
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
Yearling

United Kingdom
300 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2010 :  10:45:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
royals can be really slow to get moving when being held..Q my bigger one will mooch about with no probems from the minute i get him out but Little One can sometimes take half an hour to get moving.. its only if its feeding day that I hold him for that long - trying to get him interested in food again!

Sigs by lucifer
2.1 Cornsnakes: Montana (Carolina), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender).
2.0 Royal Pythons: Q & Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun King Snake: Simba
Go to Top of Page

pfleming
Yearling

247 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2010 :  12:17:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tried holding him today and he bit my finger :@

i thought we were making progress :(:(:(

0.0.1 Royal Python!
Go to Top of Page

pfleming
Yearling

247 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2010 :  12:36:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ooh, big progress, this time He/She wanted to play :) no strikes, was happy to climb round my leg and try and get onto the bed, silly little guy allmost fell off but i caught him ;)

I can see how addictive this is, ive allready been enquiring about getting a pastel :P

0.0.1 Royal Python!
Go to Top of Page

JAY15
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2011 :  12:58:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im a very very new royal owner but due to having lots of time on my hands have read lots,i choose to bring my boy out of his viv for short periods of time daily (not including after feeds was 24 hr but moved to 48) in less than a week he stopped balling up,I never collect him from his hide.I consider that as his safe place,so wait until he's on his travels and gently hook him up under my finger I then go through the same routine,place him on scales,place him into rub then take him for a wander i let him start from my hand and discover me in his own time,he's too small to be allowed to roam on floor just yet,but he gets to discover worktops table chairs etc.ive not had any attempt of strike,and he doesnt appear to have stressed,
Ive also noticed there very nosey so i move 1 item in his viv slightly every other day.within mins he's out checking out whats gone on.
Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2011 :  12:51:48  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Blitz didn't appreciate a warm bath too, he missed a meal after the bath but he's good now nice pics.

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2011 :  12:56:53  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I found that mine tamed down really quickly, it could be just his nature since he is really laid back but it could also be that i try to handle everyday (for at leased 40 minutes) even when in blue and feeding days, i only dont handle when he starts to shed and after he has eaten.

where as my gfs royal only gets a short time out the viv every couple of days, and she is not totally sociable yet.

i also find that handling my royal everyday builds my confidence with him, if i miss a couple of days its like taking 2 steps back

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
2.0.0 Normal - George & Kairo
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko - Leo
0.0.1 Crocodile gecko - Pheonix

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page