Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Welly
Yearling

United Kingdom
423 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2010 :  17:54:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to see you have pet up a blog. What will happen to the little one? Also does it share the markings bp brian?

0.1.0 Royal Python
0.0.1 Mexican Black King
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2010 :  19:07:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it was me, I would be on the phone to my vet seeing if I could have a test run to see if both snakes are genetically identicle to each other or not.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
Hatchling

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2010 :  23:21:22  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

If it was me, I would be on the phone to my vet seeing if I could have a test run to see if both snakes are genetically identicle to each other or not.

You thinking of possible Parthenogenesis(sp)???

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2010 :  09:14:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty much.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2010 :  10:38:26  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
this is not that unheard of,after some searching this happens in pythons,boas,lizards and sharks,just google "Parthenogenesis in royal pythons" and you will get some results

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

STICKS
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2010 :  18:30:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there hope baby is ok going through the internet today 06.30am
maybe nothing but 18 hatchlings in eight eggs hat to have a look.
looks very similar to your friend in the freezer if you want to google snakebytestv the colume on the right 18 out of eight i think to hole forum is on the case now good luck great pics by the way baby doe's not look full normal going by the bright sadles keep us updated .

Go to Top of Page

Welly
Yearling

United Kingdom
423 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2010 :  18:56:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by STICKS

looks very similar to your friend in the freezer if you want to google snakebytestv the colume on the right 18 out of eight i think to hole forum is on the case now good luck great pics by the way baby doe's not look full normal going by the bright sadles keep us updated .

I don't wish to sound rude but i can't understand a word of that

0.1.0 Royal Python
0.0.1 Mexican Black King
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2010 :  21:40:27  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well I am certainly entrigued and can't wait to find out what on earth it is !

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2010 :  21:41:52  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Welly

quote:

Me either lol

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Edited by - lee2308 on 28/07/2010 21:43:06
Go to Top of Page

Lettsy1
Yearling

United Kingdom
147 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2010 :  21:56:59  Show Profile  Click to see Lettsy1's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

quote:
Originally posted by Welly

quote:

Me either lol

There is a vid on youtube about a 'breeder' called prehistoricpets who got 18 hatchlings out of 8 eggs, they were made up of a mixture of twins and triplets, dunno bout seeing the 'thing' that came outta baby royal tho.

1.1.0 Royal (Dash,Sheba & Ditto)
1.1.0 Western Hognose (Frank & Grace)
0.0.1 Snow Corn (Ghost)
Go to Top of Page

Exile69
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2010 :  11:11:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
It does appear that that 'Parthenogenesis' is the answer. I haven't had much time to look into it at the moment but all evidence seems to be pointing in that direction.

The following is an email from Steve Slater (Senior Keeper, Discovery Trail - Reptiles & Invertebrates - West Midland Safari & Leisure Park). Thanks for putting him touch with me:
quote:
Dear Mr Alexis,
A colleague of mine took your call yesterday and I received your e mail this morning.

Royal pythons have been recorded living to over 47years and occasional parthenogenetic births to females which have not been in contact with any males have occurred in rattlesnakes, Komodo dragons and other reptiles - it is probably a survival technique for species with low numbers of males available

I am not sure what the "thing" is and of course there could be problems getting the baby snake to start feeding, it may need assist feeding the first few times.
I hope this is of help to you.
Best regards,
Steve

As of this morning the mother and baby appear fine.
I will keep you all informed
Thanks again
Carl
Go to Top of Page

Lettsy1
Yearling

United Kingdom
147 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2010 :  12:35:28  Show Profile  Click to see Lettsy1's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
wow thats amazing! glad mum n baby are doin fine! fingers crossed for the feeding now.

1.1.0 Royal (Dash,Sheba & Ditto)
1.1.0 Western Hognose (Frank & Grace)
0.0.1 Snow Corn (Ghost)
Go to Top of Page

AlannaJohan
Yearling

United Kingdom
162 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2010 :  22:48:36  Show Profile  Visit AlannaJohan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What an interesting turn of events. Parthenogenesis is not a concept I'd really looked into till now but it is most intriguing and would certainly explain the hatchling if not the thing. I hope everything works out well for you mum and baby. Would love you to keep us updated on their progress :)

Alanna
With Maya, Stan & Lucie (Alaskan Malamutes), Bruce (Royal Python) and Keith (fiance, lol).
Go to Top of Page

mischang
Yearling

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  20:32:38  Show Profile  Click to see mischang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
well i've been away for some time and this is the 1st thread i choose to read wow blood wow am gob smacked amazing !

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  22:14:51  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
wow, just caught up with this thread, it is amazing, how is the little baby?? any updated news or pics??

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
Hatchling

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2010 :  18:13:16  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Any more updates on this yet???

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

Go to Top of Page

nok1888
Yearling

United Kingdom
314 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2010 :  21:10:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Come on m8 need to know whats happening lol is mother and baby doing well and did you find out what the "thing" is?

0.1.0 Royal Normal - Orlina Bodhi Lobsang
1.0.0 Royal Normal - Sedrick Rinzen Sonam
2.0.0 Cats 18 y/o - Monty, kitten - Dodger
2.0.0 Border Collie's 7 y/o - Jinky, 2 y/o - Chance
0.0.5 Goldfish - Haggis, Pookie, Oddball, Spongebob and Slimey (kids eh lol)
Strange creature, unknown species, wife likes to call it "teenage daughter"

Go to Top of Page

fiestastlou
Yearling

United Kingdom
201 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  14:34:34  Show Profile  Visit fiestastlou's Homepage  Click to see fiestastlou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
wow this is amazing! would love to hear some updates.

09 Royal Python normal - Cecil
10 Royal Python Spider - Skye
09 Amel Corn - Syd
10 Snow Corn - Jenny
10 Butter Motley Corn - Philip
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  23:46:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So would I! Would be nice to know if that youngster survived - hope it has.

Yeah, parthogenesis isn't so way out. And forty odd years ago I remember my parents' (sleazy) Sunday paper printing an article about 'Teenage boy gives birth!' Well, in a sense, he had - in the womb his twin had been engulfed in his chest cavity/midriff, and been finally removed. Nature does some very strange things. When I bred Siamese cats I had a girl with hormonal problems, who reabsorbed her kittens. She was mated normally (being Siamese, VERY normally!) but gave birth to one normal kitten (who didn't survive) and several foetuses, who looked like lumps of liver ... very like 'thing'.

Do hope that little snake survived after its bizarre beginnings.

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2010 :  06:16:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW! 2 incidences within months of each other! That's WILD!

This same exact thing just happened stateside! The royal was this guy's pet for 25 years. Never been near any other royal. She laid 5 eggs, 1 went bad, and the other went full term but the baby died in the egg for no apparent reason. 3 royals were born, 1 had an eye problem but otherwise thriving. All 3 babies have a completely different pattern from each other and different from the mother.

Here's the link to the thread:
http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?127721-Unexpected-Eggs

Do you know what sex the baby royal is yet?

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly