Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Welly
Yearling

United Kingdom
423 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2010 :  16:38:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sabre has shed through the night although, as above she has pulled off a few scales completely on her neck.
She seems to be ok and not bothered by it but you can't exactly ask a snake.
The scales that were removed are really hard. Almost as if it's been superglued. Hard to explain.

Anyway here are the pic's. The pics show it to be really red but under normal light it doesn't look as bad as in these pictures.

What would cause this? As usual the temps, humidity and husbandry is all spot on. No mites, no nothing :( This is her 2nd skin problem, the first has cleared up ok now though

0.1.0 Royal Python
0.0.1 Mexican Black King
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2010 :  16:54:25  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ouch, have you got an unguarded bulb in there? - or any sharp edges?

Have you got any Tamodine to put on it?

Go to Top of Page

Welly
Yearling

United Kingdom
423 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2010 :  17:13:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Ouch, have you got an unguarded bulb in there? - or any sharp edges?

Have you got any Tamodine to put on it?

I have tamodine yes. No sharps, bulbs are all guarded, mats are off. Too me the skin is so hard, that as the rest has peeled back it's taken a whole lump of solid skin with it.

I'm guessing she's not happy with it as she just pee'd all over me. (which stinks by the way)

0.1.0 Royal Python
0.0.1 Mexican Black King
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2010 :  17:33:30  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ouch that looks painful, i wonder what would cause that as it is as if it has been pulled off (not saying you have at all) it looks really sensitive, is she now on paper towl as a substrate

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2010 :  18:10:48  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hope Sabre gets better soon, looks nasty :(

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2010 :  18:37:09  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have never seen that before, keep her treated and clean, preferably on soft towelling and not rough substrate and hopefully she will recover soon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2010 :  19:31:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poor Sabre - and poor you too - that must have been a nasty shock. That is weird, the detached skin looks undamaged and healthy. Another new bit of info for us to learn, but a shame it's at Sabre's expense.

I was once told that, in the case of royal python burns, with each successive shed, the skin regenerates and eventually no mark can be seen, so I imagine that this will happen in this case too and that Sabre won't be left with a scar.

Hope she continues to heal. All the best.

Go to Top of Page

Welly
Yearling

United Kingdom
423 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2010 :  20:16:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well i will keep everyone updated. She still seems ok. I'd guess if she was p***ed off she would strike but she hasn't.

0.1.0 Royal Python
0.0.1 Mexican Black King
Go to Top of Page

ALLSTER
Snake Mite

23 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2010 :  08:53:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ouch looks painful hope she gets better soon

1.0.0 CORN ( SEPT 09 ) HANNIBAL
0.1.0 ROYAL PYTHON ( SEPT 10 ) KRYSTAL
2.0.0 KITTENS ( JULY 10 ) GINGE AND SOOTY
1.0.0 BABY ON ITS WAY ( NOV 10 )
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2010 :  11:32:32  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
it looks like the result of a previous injury (in particular a burn) or from some overly vigorous shedding activities

either way it should heal and shed out, you might find she sheds more frequently than usual while it heals over. a blob of Tamodine or Vetadine wouldn't hurt but other than that i'd leave her to it till her next shed, then provide damp hides for her

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2010 :  14:07:55  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i would of thought the old skin would of just broke rather than ripped the whloe skin and scales away,hope shes ok.

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

Welly
Yearling

United Kingdom
423 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2010 :  01:27:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well i'm happy to report she is fine. She has fed and has been as active as she normally is.
She has let me Tamodine her without trouble. It's looking better, not as red, no lily white flesh and is looking a remarked improvement. She is letting me touch it easily and not pulling away.

All her normal responses and activities are as per usual.
She came out tonight and had a good roam around like she does once a week (i leave the viv door open and she crawls out and explores and normally ends up on the sofa). She is sitting in her log roll during the day and heat mat at night. So as far as im aware she is fine.

I will keep a weekly update with photo's for reference for anyone as i have spoke to a few people now and no one knows. It's defo not a burn and with no mites or sharp objects it is a mystery.

@Gingerpony, she always has a moss pot for her to use. Which she does frequent at least once a week.

0.1.0 Royal Python
0.0.1 Mexican Black King
Go to Top of Page

dakota
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  16:21:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Welly

Sabre has shed through the night although, as above she has pulled off a few scales completely on her neck.
She seems to be ok and not bothered by it but you can't exactly ask a snake.
The scales that were removed are really hard. Almost as if it's been superglued. Hard to explain.

Anyway here are the pic's. The pics show it to be really red but under normal light it doesn't look as bad as in these pictures.

What would cause this? As usual the temps, humidity and husbandry is all spot on. No mites, no nothing :( This is her 2nd skin problem, the first has cleared up ok now though

I hope she is alright. Have you been to the vets to check to see if she's ok. Poor little thing. hope she gets better soon

0.1 normal
Go to Top of Page

Welly
Yearling

United Kingdom
423 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  16:52:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She is doing fine. No vets needed this time. She has been tamodine'd and a substrate and clean a bit more often. Added a bark tray as well so she can have a bity more humidity and a damp(er) area as well as her moss pot.
Healing well, and slight scale growth is starting. I'll get some pics up tonight if she wants to come out

0.1.0 Royal Python
0.0.1 Mexican Black King
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  18:05:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, that's good news - good to hear; sounds like she's on the mend.

Go to Top of Page

Welly
Yearling

United Kingdom
423 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  21:52:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And right on que... Looks worse under flash

0.1.0 Royal Python
0.0.1 Mexican Black King
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  22:03:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm no expert but it looks an awful lot better to me. Bless her - bet you're relieved!

Go to Top of Page

Welly
Yearling

United Kingdom
423 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  22:25:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, if it didn't get better at this rate i would have taken her in. But yes im pleased

0.1.0 Royal Python
0.0.1 Mexican Black King
Go to Top of Page

Welly
Yearling

United Kingdom
423 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  15:58:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is from Today. Still a way to go to be back to perfect again but it has started to grow scales again and now has pigment again.
She has had 2 sheds since this and both have been fine in this area.

Still don't know a cause :(

0.1.0 Royal Python
0.0.1 Mexican Black King
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  16:53:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks much better. I would be very surprised if she forms proper "normal" scales again, but it defiantly looks like its healing well.

Go to Top of Page

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  17:25:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Welly

Well i'm happy to report she is fine. She has fed and has been as active as she normally is.
She has let me Tamodine her without trouble. It's looking better, not as red, no lily white flesh and is looking a remarked improvement. She is letting me touch it easily and not pulling away.

All her normal responses and activities are as per usual.
She came out tonight and had a good roam around like she does once a week (i leave the viv door open and she crawls out and explores and normally ends up on the sofa). She is sitting in her log roll during the day and heat mat at night. So as far as im aware she is fine.

I will keep a weekly update with photo's for reference for anyone as i have spoke to a few people now and no one knows. It's defo not a burn and with no mites or sharp objects it is a mystery.

@Gingerpony, she always has a moss pot for her to use. Which she does frequent at least once a week.

sorry just caught the end of this...looks nasty, really glad she is getting better tho! did you ever get any ideas as to what may have caused it? ive never seen it before tho i have heard of a similar (tho more severe) case of inexplicable scale loss before that affected my uncle's royal. just a little something i picked up on in your post /\ /\ you say she's sitting on a heatmat at night? im IN NO WAY suggesting that this in any way contributed to the skin loss but i was always under thge impression that heat mats where a python (and boa) no-no? (thats an honest question and not a criticism by the way, as i may well be wrong about that )

really glad shes on the mend, hopefully she'll be all better soon!

1.0.0 royal "ophion"
1.1.0 corns "wotsit" and "biscuit"
0.1.0 coastal carpet python- "serendipity"
0.1.0 bunny rabbit (?) "Truffle"

RIP Prisma Pequeno- Brazilian Rainbow Boa
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page