Breeding Pairs.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hiper2009
Yearling

United Kingdom
259 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2010 :  10:16:01  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi all i have just joined this forum yesterday and i am after a pair of royals for my breeding project but i want two hatchlings to raise then when they are the right age and weight i will then breed.

But i originally wanted a pair of YellowBellys but that seems impossible to get hold of until some time in the new year ,

How ever i can get hold of a pair of pastels for the total of £265 which is a bargin i think and thats from a reptile shop.

But if i look at it in the long run If breeding Pastel: I should get the following if i am correct:

25%: Normal
25%: Pastel
25%: Super Pastel

Will the Normal be het for pastel and the Pastel het for super pastel how does all this work.

0.0.1 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2010 :  10:34:02  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I believe the normal will just be normal, not a het as the gene is co-dominant

Edit: Which means there are no hets, if you breed a co-dom with a normal you'll get 50% offspring as that morph. If you breed 2 co-doms together you'll stll get 50% offspring as that morph but 25% supers. Always going to be a 25% chance for normals though :)

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/

Edited by - Kelfezond on 18/12/2010 10:46:02
Go to Top of Page

CoN
Yearling

United Kingdom
400 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2010 :  11:17:45  Show Profile  Visit CoN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hope this would help. Its a Sticky Blackecho made, that helped me
http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=187

9.11.0 Python Regius (Ball/Royal Pythons)
1.1.0 Heterodon nasicus (Western Hognose)
Feel free to join my Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/pages/LAMB-Pythons/160412530658527
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Yearling

United Kingdom
259 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2010 :  11:18:36  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

I believe the normal will just be normal, not a het as the gene is co-dominant

Edit: Which means there are no hets, if you breed a co-dom with a normal you'll get 50% offspring as that morph. If you breed 2 co-doms together you'll stll get 50% offspring as that morph but 25% supers. Always going to be a 25% chance for normals though :)

That makes no sense to me sorry could you explain that in a form so its a little easyer for me to understand

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Yearling

United Kingdom
259 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2010 :  11:23:13  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CoN

I hope this would help. Its a Sticky Blackecho made, that helped me
http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=187

Thanks for posting this great link up for me but it seems confusing i think i shall just keep reading it.

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2010 :  13:41:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hiper2009

Hi all i have just joined this forum yesterday and i am after a pair of royals for my breeding project but i want two hatchlings to raise then when they are the right age and weight i will then breed.

But i originally wanted a pair of YellowBellys but that seems impossible to get hold of until some time in the new year ,

How ever i can get hold of a pair of pastels for the total of £265 which is a bargin i think and thats from a reptile shop.

But if i look at it in the long run If breeding Pastel: I should get the following if i am correct:

Will the Normal be het for pastel and the Pastel het for super pastel how does all this work.

Pastel pair average £200-300 depending on where you get them. Have a look through some classifieds often much better quality than average rep shops for a better price.

Yellow bellies are a great morph also. Price about the same as pastels. not sure where your based.

Pastel x pastel =

25% normal
50% pastels
25% super pastel

these are % per egg you could end up with 50% super pastels or 50% normals for example.

A pastel is a visual co dom morph so once there is one pastel gene present it will be a pastel if there are 2 pastel genes it will be a super pastel. So even by breeding a pastel to a normal you should get a clutch of 50% normal and 50% pastels.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Yearling

United Kingdom
259 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2010 :  13:54:44  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Royalbob

quote:

Pastel pair average £200-300 depending on where you get them. Have a look through some classifieds often much better quality than average rep shops for a better price.

Yellow bellies are a great morph also. Price about the same as pastels. not sure where your based.

Pastel x pastel =

25% normal
50% pastels
25% super pastel

these are % per egg you could end up with 50% super pastels or 50% normals for example.

A pastel is a visual co dom morph so once there is one pastel gene present it will be a pastel if there are 2 pastel genes it will be a super pastel. So even by breeding a pastel to a normal you should get a clutch of 50% normal and 50% pastels.

Thank you so much you have made me understand that hehe, The pastels i have seen are top quality they are both the same late CB10's born from the same clutch produced from both parents of Pastels , And both are very bright coloured pastels : Pastel Royal
Python regius
Origin: CB10 Female
Price: £175.00

Pastel Royal
Python regius
Origin: CB10 Males
Price: £89.00

That total's up to £264.00 for two bright pastels.

How much would a super pastel sell for if female and male ?

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2010 :  16:11:34  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
super pastels at the moment are about 600-800 depending on the breeder, quality of super pastel and sex (female being more expensive)
but in 3 years time they will prob drop in price like alot of morphs are doing every year
like a few other have said, just have a quick look round incase someone is doing some special deals or something, as sometimes you can get a really nice looking pastel pair with lots of blushing and insane colouring
the best bet to look for in a nice pastel to get good offspring is blushing

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2010 :  17:51:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a rough guess you can say that lower end (cheaper) Royal morphs tend to drop around £100 per year, some of the more common ones even more. i would be more inclined to hunt around for females more than males as they are going to need to be older and larger before you can breed them, You also need to consider that if you have a fussy eater it may not be ready to breed in a couple of years anyway.
I would recommend getting a female pastel and a female yellowbelly this year and get the boys in a year and a half.

I`d give this chap a ring. (got my pinstripe off him and he had yellowbelly`s for sale)
http://www.djreptiles.co.uk/

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2010 :  18:04:02  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I could just sell you my Super Pastel for £700 now and in 18 months or so you could breed her.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2010 :  19:26:06  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
just a quick question, do u now what line the pastels are??? this can be quite important to now when breeding and selling pastels

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Yearling

United Kingdom
259 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2010 :  20:09:46  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hodgie

As a rough guess you can say that lower end (cheaper) Royal morphs tend to drop around £100 per year, some of the more common ones even more. i would be more inclined to hunt around for females more than males as they are going to need to be older and larger before you can breed them, You also need to consider that if you have a fussy eater it may not be ready to breed in a couple of years anyway.
I would recommend getting a female pastel and a female yellowbelly this year and get the boys in a year and a half.

I`d give this chap a ring. (got my pinstripe off him and he had yellowbelly`s for sale)
http://www.djreptiles.co.uk/

Thank you for that but I'm in no rush will start the breeding projects when they are ready , will give that site a look at soon.

quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

I could just sell you my Super Pastel for £700 now and in 18 months or so you could breed her.

Very tempting even though i do have the money i just want to raise my own from a hatchling and learn things as i go along but thanks anyways mate.

quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

just a quick question, do u now what line the pastels are??? this can be quite important to now when breeding and selling pastels

What do you mean do i know what line the pastels are ??

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2010 :  20:23:23  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

What do you mean do i know what line the pastels are ??

pastels have been bred by many different breeders, and have been bred into different lines, so are basically still a pastel just in diferent lines. you have the lemon pastel line that NERD created. you have the graziani pastel line, you have the blonde pastel, and i think theres one more im forgetting. the lemon pastel line bred by nerd was bred to try and keep the yellow colours throughout age, whereas the graziani pastel line was bred to keep there blushing. there is no real difference between each line, and there is no way to tell which line a pastel is without being told.
people prefer different lines, some prefer the lemon becuase they keep there colours, some like the graziania because they keep the blushing, but each pastel is different, and you get the good pastels and the not so good pastels.

sig made by stapey

Edited by - reptiledanny on 18/12/2010 20:25:08
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2010 :  20:28:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you got to grips with it.
I would totally agree with what Hodgie wrote. Go for pastel and yellow belly females. Because you know you want to give breeding a go in the future then it's better to plan for it from now.
Grow them on for a couple years and the get your male. The time you've spent waiting 2 yrs for the male you cold easily get a double gene morph. Just an idea. Or buy Blackecho's Super (no i'm not on commission) and in 6-12months buy the male pastel and hatch nothing but Super pastels and pastels in the clutch. Now thats an investment and a lovely clutch. Again just ideas.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  21:35:54  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
*Thread tidied a little to try to get it back on track for the OP

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Yearling

United Kingdom
259 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  22:00:03  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

*Thread tidied a little to try to get it back on track for the OP

Thanks BE

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000