Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

csn
Hatchling

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  16:48:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi.

i have recently purchased a CB10 0.1.0 Normal Royal. i am thinking of buying a male for her to breed in the future. Is there a breeder for dummies i can look at? also i would like to know a morph guide i could see what i could breed to her to see what babies i would get.

i hope experience breeders could give a newbie a lift under there wing.

cheers CSN

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  17:10:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, a breeding female should be in her third winter, and weigh at least 1500gm. A breeding male should weigh at least 600gm.

I hope to breed next autumn with Surahi, my 06 female (1300gm now, so she will need to gain 200gm) and Shahi, my cf10 male, who weighs 450gm+ - so he will need to gain a bit too.

I'm not an authority on morphs - I'll let other people answer that. But it's a good idea to keep in mind - a) will I sell the offspring? and b) if I do sell them, will they have good homes?

I used to breed Siamese, and was taught by a more experienced breeder to guarantee after sales care and also unquestioning refund if the kitten or cat became unwanted. The animal is far more important than the money.

Unlike cats, snakes can't possibly walk out on bad homes, so a good informed home is paramount. So, if in doubt, you may not want to sell.

Also the market for royals may be 'depressed' as the saying goes when the hatchlings are ready for sale.

I'm planning a double viv stack to house hatchlings I may not want to or be able to sell - over the top, I know, but I have to plan ahead.

And if all this gloomy stuff doesn't put you off, then good luck and all the best!

It's a good idea to read around on this breeding forum, as there are a lot of good threads on breeding for beginners.

Edited by - n/a on 13/02/2011 18:10:09
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  17:32:21  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
CSN I present to you, the bible.

http://www.worldofballpythons.com/morphs/

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  17:57:25  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Have you read this sticky: http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2731 ?

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  11:58:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grow her on for a couple of years then buy a nice double co dom male such as a bee or lemonblast, That way you get the chance of hatching out 4 different snakes. It also gives you plenty of time for reading and saving.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

csn
Hatchling

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  15:03:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was thinking of getting a bee. if she is a cb10 do i need to get a male round about her age?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  15:23:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by csn

i was thinking of getting a bee. if she is a cb10 do i need to get a male round about her age?

No. My female is an 06, my male is a 10 and as long as both are up to the right weight in the autumn then I too will hope to breed for the first time.

If you google Markus Jayne - breeding ball pythons, you will find a step-by-step, informative and well-illustrated account of breeding. I like the pic of the little 'toyboy' curled up in the middle of his large mate - but imo MJ breeds his males too young. Other than that, it's another interesting and entertaining guide to read.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  16:05:05  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

If you google Markus Jayne - breeding ball pythons, you will find a step-by-step, informative and well-illustrated account of breeding. I like the pic of the little 'toyboy' curled up in the middle of his large mate - but imo MJ breeds his males too young. Other than that, it's another interesting and entertaining guide to read.

Or look at the link above I posted.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  16:13:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

quote:

Yes, that's why I said 'another' guide, meaning in addition to yours.

Go to Top of Page

csn
Hatchling

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  16:50:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looks like i will need a new printer cartridge lol
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  19:00:53  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

quote:

Yes, that's why I said 'another' guide, meaning in addition to yours.

The Markus Jayne one is in the link I posted

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  19:18:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha, well, it didn't SAY Markus Jayne, did it?

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2011 :  06:30:49  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I can't help that

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2011 :  19:09:18  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
a good book for moprhs is this one:
http://www.bigreptileworld.co.uk/designer-morphs-2nd-edition---vol-1-ball-pythons--boa-constrictors-26-p.asp
i have it and it is amazing, has nearly every morph, and it tells you the genetics of all the ones in there, i call it the morph bible

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  08:17:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In deciding what morph to pair with, the first question you want to answer is: Which morph do I like?

Then you can plan out how to produce that morph with the snake you got or the snake you can afford to purchase.

This is the same question for if you plan to sell the offspring. You never want to be stuck with a snake you don't like if you can't find a suitable buyer for it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000