Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

crazysnakeman
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  01:54:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heya,

I had given up on my pair breeding this year, so when I saw that she had ovulated etc, it came as a nice suprise! However,it placed her due date to lay right in the middle of a two week period where I was away and my mum had to sort the eggs when they arrived.

When I got home, 3 healthy looking eggs and 2 slugs, but the healthy eggs were very dimpled, but not in the way that dimpled photos usually are, much deeper, more like a ping pong ball (but obviously bigger) that had been a bit squashed. I've raised the humidity in the incubator, and have left it for two weeks to see if I could save the eggs. Not sure if I have or not, the dents are still there, but they are a hell of a lot smoother, and the eggs have softened up loads more - they were solid when I arrived. So fingers crossed I can save those - does anyone have any tips or advice?

My main worry though, is that mum didn't wash the tank down after the eggs were moved to the incubator, and the female remained coiled where the eggs had been for several days after. She now appears to have returned to normal, so I offered her food, but with no luck. Should I give the entire viv a good disinfect and clean then try again? shes not losing any weight (3 grams in 2 weeks) but I'd still rather get her eating again!

It is my first clutch, so any advice would be appreciated! But I'm more worried about getting her back on food than I am the eggs as they appear to be doing ok for the moment!

Thanks in advance,

Josh

jhk2005
Yearling

United Kingdom
166 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  02:16:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should clean the viv thoroughly and try washing her down in a weak solution of warm water and washing up liquid (fairy, etc), and then rinse her thoroughly in clean, warm water. I've been made aware (through friends experience and reptile books & magazines) that if females can still smell the scent of the eggs in their surroundings or on their skin then they will continue incubation behaviour even thought the eggs have been removed. Also, if she has a seperate nest box you should take that out and leave her normal hide. Hope this helps :)

1.6.0 Normal Royals - Will, Grace, Lolly, Patty, Maddie, Mystique, Victoria
1.1.0 Pastel Royals - Becks, Sophie
0.1.0 Spider Royal - Charlotte
0.1.0 Mojave Royal - Mo
1.1.0 Yellowbelly Royals - Pinky, Perky
1.0.0 Pinstripe Royal - Pip
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal - Buzz
1.0.0 Vanilla Royal - Vinnie
1.0.0 Lesser Royal - Leo
1.0.0 Cinnamon Royal - Sam
1.0.0 Burmese Python - Kane
0.1.0 Albino Burmese Python - Amber
1.0.0 Redfoot Tortoise - Chucky
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  17:40:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya i'm not sure there's much more you can do for the eggs apart from provide them with the perfect incubation set up.
get the humidity right up.It sounds like there getting better. As far as the female i didn't wash mine down just the rub and
all the furnishings with F10 solution. Left her alone for 10 days and she ate straight away. Sorry couldn't offer more help.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

crazysnakeman
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2011 :  00:25:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've given everything a good scrub down, so I'll leave her a few days and then try again! She's not losing weight so it's nothing too problematic yet! Eggs, still got my fingers crossed! 29 days to go!

Cheers guys
Josh
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000