Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 'Cracked' eyes but no sign of a shed coming?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2011 :  11:21:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So for about a week now Tig has had that 'cracked' look to his eyes, but I haven't mentioned it 'cause I figured that he must be having yet another shed coming. But there's still no sign of one : /
He definatly shed his eye caps with his last shed. I always check 'cause his head has always been dodgy for not shedding well... or at all without help. So it can't be retained shed.
Is it just a matter of waiting and seeing what they look like after his next shed?

...It might explain his temper at the minuet, stroppy bugger X )

Just me and my zoo.

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2011 :  13:33:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I've only ever seen photos and not seen this in the flesh, but apparently it's quite normal for a snake to have 'dimpled' eyes when approaching shed (a bit like a dinted ping pong ball.) But hopefully someone more experienced willl be along soon.

How's he doing these days, and how are you? Not heard from you for a while - hope all is ok at the Blue Zoo?

Go to Top of Page

prozacbear
Yearling

United Kingdom
130 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2011 :  17:28:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes it can be a sign of being a bit dehydrated.Guybrush has been a bit prone when he is fasting (after all a lot of their fluid intake comes from their rats). I would make sure he has lots of opportunity for a drink. When you handle offer some fresh water mine often drink during handling. Plenty of fresh water in his viv/rub. But in my experience it usually clears up straight after a feed.

Guybrush (royal python) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csapnto_Q5I

Cassiopeia (Brazilian rainbow boa) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5VQhPP7qVM&NR=1

Smaug (deseart iguana) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3ZD_SFA8Lg

Axos & Sutekh (cats) http://youtu.be/AFCgZcHXuTU

Nessie & Nemo etc ( tropical fish)
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2011 :  18:11:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dehydration from what i know, Hannah my normal female always has this even though she has plenty of fresh water, dont think it helps when they shed. I`ve had her over 2 years now and her last shed was the only perfect one she has ever done.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2011 :  11:19:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, he still isn't eating... maybe he's one of these weird spring fasters? But he's certainly drinking plenty I think. No less than usuall and I know when he's had a drink 'cause the water has gone down so much as to see it. He always has water available and he's not shy either. I was watching him drinking last night and he didn't care. Carried on regaurdless. Could he still be dehydrated 'cause he's not eating? What can I do about that?
He isn't 'baggy' either, just so you know.

...I'm going to try a rat with him on Monday again.

@BATS: Yeah, I know. My M.E. has been yo-yoing like someones threatened to cut the string. And also I thought I'd give everyone a break from me and Tig questions ; )

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2011 :  11:35:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, sorry to hear about the ME - lousy thing to live with.

Nothing wrong with questions - they're always interesting!

Good luck with his next feed.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2011 :  12:39:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duke's eyes really dimple when he is about to shed, it looks really odd.

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2011 :  09:04:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But there's no sign of a shed coming, that's the strange thing : /

I'll wait and see what happens. You never know, he might feed tonight and the 'cracks' will magicly dissapear!

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

HannaH
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  11:38:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cracked or dimpled eyes is a sign of dehydration. I had this same problem with my guy and it has nothing to do with how much water they drink.

Cracked or dimpled skin is caused by the air humidity in the housing, If you do not have a moist box in the tank I would advise you put one in. Its just like us having dry skin and useing moisturiser, they need a place to sit and soke in the water.

Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  11:42:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He always has a damp hide, with moss in there for him to sit with. And the humidity is kept up 'cause it helps his breathing so I've learnt.

Anyways, not to worry. He is shedding after all. I'm sure that's what it is as now his eyes look fine : ) I'll keep an eye in him, but for now everything seems to be fixed.

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

Sam84
Hatchling

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2011 :  09:18:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi Blue Dragon et al.

Does it look like this?
My royal Cora has just developed this over last few weeks. have upped humidity and changing her water 2x a day just in case she is dehydrated

if your snake looks/looked like this - did it come off in next shed?

0.1.0 Royal Python - Cora
1.0.0 Carpet Python - Koshi
Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2011 :  09:35:47  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hope he is okay, but i didn't see something like that before.
Changing water twice a day won't do anything but stressing the snake i think.

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

jonoandapril
Yearling

United Kingdom
455 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  18:25:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i had this problem with my girl, just put her in a damp pillow case for a few hours in a spare faun and it cleared right up. must be just like having dry eyes when your tired, except they cant rub their eyes or blink to fix it. no hands you see. anyhow, thats how i fixed it.

1.1.0 corns (amel + carolina)
2.3.0 normal, fire, pastel and 2 bumblebee royals
1.0.0 jungle carpet python
Go to Top of Page

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  19:45:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was going to say retained eye caps,as thats what they can look like to,if all other normal causes are ruled out.

Perhaps a vet visit might be worth it.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis

Edited by - boomslang on 02/10/2011 23:21:08
Go to Top of Page

Sam84
Hatchling

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  08:57:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
she is full blue now so shed imminent - if still there after shed will go see vet xx

0.1.0 Royal Python - Cora
1.0.0 Carpet Python - Koshi
Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  10:47:01  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hope it will disappear after the shed, Good luck.

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

speedy231278
Hatchling

United Kingdom
78 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  15:46:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam84

Hi Blue Dragon et al.

Does it look like this?
My royal Cora has just developed this over last few weeks. have upped humidity and changing her water 2x a day just in case she is dehydrated

if your snake looks/looked like this - did it come off in next shed?

I've had this a few times with Patsy. I did take her to a local shop for a checkup and they reckoned that it was probably a retained eyecap. Her last shed was the first perfect one-piece job she's ever managed courtesy of a moss box, and I can safely say that both caps came off completely. Both eyes were lovely and shiny afterwards. However, I spotted last night she's got a stripe on one just like this pic yet again. I always check the sheds to make sure the eye caps have come off, and I'm sure they always do.

2.1.0 royals
1.2.0 corns
0.0.3 motorcycles
0.1.0 she who must be obeyed... ;-)
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  17:04:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks more like a scuff or scratch to be though from a picture its hard to tell. When Duke is shedding he dimples a bit, it looks a bit like a popped bubble wrap bubble but it always comes off when he sheds. I was informed that dehydration shows in the skin long before it shows in the eyes, you can pinch the skin and it should fall back, if it doesn't the snake needs hydrating ASAP (bit like when you lift a cat or dog scruff, same applies).

Scales, even eye scales are there to take the knocks and bumps so the skin doesn't get damaged, so if its not a stuck eyecap or dehydration don't worry about it, its the scale just been a scale.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000