New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Newtoroyals
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  16:16:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a young royal which I got 5 weeks ago. Apparently she was eating 2 f/t rat pups every 7 days before I got her home. Since then I haven't been able to get anything down her.
Her temps are 90 in hot, 80 in the cool, humidity is set as 60 by the gauge which is moderate.
She is active and not skinny, she obviously had a good appetite before. I have her housed in a breeding box so I covered 3 of 4 clear the walls so she is more enclosed and her tank has 2 hides in the warm end and 2 hides in the cool so it's busy in the tank.
I have tried Heating rat with water, with hairdryer, wiggling rat,Heating the head, leaving rat overnight, slicing the skin and braining. I have also tried feeding in a RUB and in her tank. I always leave her at least 2 days before offering food so she isn't over handled and I offer food around every 5 days. Ohh I also tried a pinkie mouse (Wouldn't even acknowledge it) and rubbing rat pup on a pinkie mouse.
Each time the little mare ignores the rat.
She is very active and it out every night nosing out of her tank and she seems happy, no wheezing/dribbling/clicking and she shed around 3 weeks ago but still she won't eat.
She is this years hatchling, surely she should be eating regulary still.
Any ideas? Should I be worried yet? Will somebody end my misery as her not eating is making me feel stresed! Should I continue to offer food every 5 days?

Other than the fasting she is great, lovely personality and friendly, just down right frustrating!

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  17:07:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If its just this week, dont worry, they often skip a feed here and there. You may also want to look at increasing the feed size rather than her jamming two rats end to end.

If you mean she hasnt eaten for 5 weeks ? Thats a different story, but could still be very normal given the time of year (breeding season)

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London

Edited by - markmifsud on 04/11/2011 17:08:54
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  17:08:41  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Five weeks without a feed isn't dangerous as long as her weight isn't falling rapidly, just keep on persisting with it and she'll go for it eventually, most importantly don't stress yourself over it. Try to cut down on how much you handle her if you still do, i'd offer every 7 days instead of five. Most important thing to do is keep track of the weight :)

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  17:10:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes, as Above, my large male hasnt eaten for months, but has lost just 30g, concidering he is still 1.6kg, its not a lot of loss

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  17:28:13  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sorry mark overlapped posts

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Newtoroyals
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  17:35:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it's five weeks without eating now. Her weight seems ok so I wil continue to weigh and monitor on attempted feeding days. Lastnight I thought she may take the pup as she seemed interested in the scent but after a while she just kept trying to escape the RUB. Thanks for the advice.
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  18:59:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't worry, providing your setup is correct then just let it get on with things. My fat fella hasn't eaten since August (except a small snack) and it has had no effect on him at all. This time of year lots of Royals aren't eating, its what they do. Your temps seem fine, the only thing to check is how big is your snake and how big is its enclosure.

Edited by - Lotabob on 04/11/2011 19:00:18
Go to Top of Page

Newtoroyals
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  20:12:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The tank is only fairly small. She can strech out length ways.....only just though. Width ways it's about half her size, maybe slighty less. I was hoping to transfer her to viv but I don't want to unsettle her more so I decided to stick it out until she was eating ok. Is this too small for her to be in?
Go to Top of Page

Newtoroyals
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  20:58:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
O.k, so just to keep you informed, I have moved her box from my rather busy and loud living room to my quiet bedroom in the vain hope that maybe her stress levels from the busy goings on from family life (which can get loud with the kids, dogs, hubby and me shouting at them all)were maybe a factor in her fasting. Going to leave her for a good few days and try to feed again next week.

Here's hoping I have cracked it.
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  18:16:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fingers crossed for you and your snake.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  18:43:30  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
as everyone else has said, think it is down to her still maybe settling in. it took my female royal about 7 weeks to start eating, and she was fine the whole time.
hate to be really picky, but what are the actual dimensions of the tank she is in, and could you get any pictures so we can see for definate what her setup is like

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Newtoroyals
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2011 :  11:56:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
O.k, positive update.

I took her upstairs into my bedroom which is the quietest room in the house and left her for 5 days.
I then heated up rats head in hot water for a few second, dried it off and put madame in her feeding box on my bed.
dangled in front of and she took it almost straight away!

So happy I could have cried as I was starting to think she may be getting thin.
I will keep her upstairs until my youngest starts school an the house is quiet as I am asumming the noise level stressed her out.
Have to say it feels like a huge weight has been lifted!
Go to Top of Page

Newtoroyals
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2011 :  11:58:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I shall post some photos of her and the set up she is in. I am so happy!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2011 :  14:57:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats!

You can never go wrong in giving a royal as quiet environment as poss but many can be slow to start feeding again after any change in their life, no matter how quiet you keep them. And it's hell waiting for a snake to have its first feed with you - although they do get there in the end.

LOL - I WOULD have cried!

That is really good news - so glad she's had that first feed, may there be many more of them!

Go to Top of Page

Newtoroyals
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2011 :  21:19:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol, I did text a couple of friends to let them know she fed at the time, when I placed her back and came downstairs my hubby said I was beaming lol!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000