Page: of 2

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2012 :  01:13:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Royal Python Vivarium Setup.

Vital statistics:
Hot Spot Temperature: 32oC Aim. (Range 30oC - 35oC)
Ambient Temperature: 26oC Aim. (Range 24oC – 27oC)
Humidity: 50% Aim (Range 50%-70%)

It is my personal opinion that ceramic bulb heating is best for Royal Pythons so for this guide I shall refer to ceramics. The alternative to ceramics is Infra-Red bulbs (not true Infra-Red, just closer to the Infra-Red end of the visible light spectrum).

Size
A 3 foot wide by 2 foot deep vivarium should be suitable for all but the very largest Royal Pythons. Some Royals do not do very well in large spaces but I'm a firm believer that with adequate decoration and hides even the shyest of Royals will be OK in a 3X2 vivarium.

Bulb Holder & Bulb Guard
when using ceramics you need to use a suitable bulb holder. Plastic bulb holders cannot cope with the heat generated by the bulb and will melt. The correct holders are made from ceramic, there are several varieties available so choose the one that works best in your vivarium. Take note of the fitting type too, ceramics are screw fitting, other bulbs can be both screw and bayonet fitting.
The bulb guard is a really important piece of safety equipment in your vivarium, it prevents burns and stops snakes from been able to break the bulbs. You want a good quality one, powder coated ones seem to stay cooler than bare metal in my experience, my personal preference are ones made by ProRep. You want one that can house the bulb inside and leave at the very least a 1cm gap around the sides and 2cm gap at the bottom though more is always better.

Thermostat Position A Information
In this configuration your hot spot monitoring thermometer probe needs to be in the same place as the thermostat probe directly under the heat bulb, You then use the thermometer reading to set the thermostat aiming for 32oC.

Thermostat Position B Information
In this configuration your hot spot monitoring thermometer probe needs to be directly under the heat bulb. You then use the thermometer reading to set the thermostat aiming for 32oC.

(You only need one thermostat, you just have to choose which probe position you feel works best)

Decorations & hides
Royals are in general a shy and inactive snake, they prefer to be hidden through the day and come out at night when it is dark. They need to move between the hot end of the vivarium and the cooler end in a process called thermo regulation, so they need a safe route between the two areas. Fake foliage, logs, branches etc can be used to provide cover and also add to the general aesthetics of the vivarium too. With Royals the more the better but allow for the fact they are large, heavy bodied snakes and small decorations will likely be knocked over and any raised up items such as branches etc need to be capable of supporting their weight should they decide to climb up onto them.
You need at least two suitably sized hides, one for the hot end and one for the cooler end. Royal Pythons like to be squashed into confined spaces so the hide should not be too big but not so small they cannot get their whole body inside.

Lighting
It is my personal preference to not have any lighting in a Royal Python’s vivarium, they are nocturnal and light can stress them out. A small light can be installed for cleaning out etc but daylight is sufficient for a Royal to know what is day and what is night and will hide when it is light so it is not an essential addition to the vivarium. It is important to guard any breakable bulbs used and make sure that the bulbs do not give off any significant heat or they will also need to have a thermostat to make sure they do not overheat the vivarium.

Escape Proofing
A small but vitally important role of your vivarium is that it keeps the snake inside. You can use vivarium locks on the sliding doors or even rubber wedges. You also need to regularily make sure your vents are secure and have not come loose; they should be inserted from the inside to prevent the snake being able to push them out. The vivarium should be kept on a stable surface, if it falls the glass may come out or break and the snake will escape and very possibly be injured too.

Edited by - Lotabob on 19/02/2012 15:11:54

JanieW
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2279 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2012 :  06:13:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a great guide Rob..and really needs to be a sticky so everybody can always find it:)

Peoples Of Middle Earth:
Bert (Staffy) , named after Tolkien's stone Troll
Popeye, African Grey
Gimli (Son Of Gloin), Baby Beardie
Slinky, Baby Royal Python
Fëanor..Baby Mexican Common Boa
Casper 2011 Male Ghost Corn Snake **RIP**
Hoard of Orcs (Dubia Roach Colony)
Pearl & Ivory--African Giant Albino Land Snails
Ra, Taiwanese Beauty Snake
Henry, Western Hognose *Missing*
Pippin, Coastal X Diamond Carpet Python
Elanor, Pastel Royal
Timmy, Western Hognose
Flake, Calico male royal, Eowyn, Arabesque Boa
Go to Top of Page

Pythonwizard
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
650 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2012 :  12:36:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great guide !
Go to Top of Page

hayes
Yearling

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2012 :  13:01:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great guide s i will be moving caesar into a viv soonish. just a few questions though... you have 2 thermostat placements on the diagram? i thought i would only need one using an IR bulb? also what is the ambient temp placement? by this do you mean the place where to put the cool side thermometer? cheers
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2012 :  15:06:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hayes, there are 2 possible positions for a thermostat probe, A is under the bulb OR B which is about in the middle of the vivarium. You only need one or the other and not both, I will pop a little bit in to make that crystal clear. It says ambient thermometer probe position to indicate its to be as far away from the hot end as is possible.

Go to Top of Page

hayes
Yearling

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2012 :  15:44:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ahh rite. thanks for explaining. is ambient temperature probe the cool end thermometer? sorry I'm still new to all of this
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2012 :  16:21:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes the blue arrow and blue writing that says 'Ambient thermometer probe position' is an indication of where the thermometer probe goes that is monitoring ambient air temperatures. Ambient air temperature is the true thing you are measuring when referring to the cool end.

Dont be sorry, there is no such thing as a stupid question (unless you dont ask it, thats stupid).

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2012 :  17:39:04  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That is a GREAT job Rob, if i found anything like that when i was setting up my viv i would be so greatful. it will help alot of new royal keepers Great job Rob

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

curiouslyfacinated
Yearling

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2012 :  18:13:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thats really useful. i have had a bit of a brainwave that i could convert a cupboard i was going to throw out and that will be very helpful in knowing what to do with it. thanks x

1.0.0 Normal Royal Python Loki
1.1.0 Cats Daisy and Benson
Go to Top of Page

Se7enS1ns
Yearling

United Kingdom
354 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  22:32:24  Show Profile  Visit Se7enS1ns's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry to dredge this up [it really ought to be stickied, btw], but... I set up Ifrits vivarium as per the above diagram, using an IR bulb and a dimmer stat. I've placed the stat probe on the substrate, directly under the bulb. With a thermometer in the same place, I have a hotspot temp of 32 degrees, and an ambient temp of 27 at the cold end. All good so far...

Problem is though - the temp [b]inside[b/] the hot hide is only reading as 24 degrees! Even though the bulb is pretty much directly over the hot hide entrance, it seems the hide is blocking out the heat, somehow. Should I be concerned with this, or am I fretting needlessly?

www.royal-balls.blogspot.com
www.facebook.com/dandavisreptiles
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  22:47:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Directly under the bulb will always be hotter than inside a hide where the radiative heat is not getting to, the hide itself though will be heating up and if the snake is inside the hide, touching the sides the heat will be transferring to the snake. You could increase the temp to make it 32oC in the hide but that would probably have the hide itself much hotter than that to achieve it and they absorb relatively little heat from the air in comparison to the surfaces they are in contact with and the bulbs radiant heat. The ambient temp is only there to reduce heat loss from the snake rather than heat gain if you know what I mean (for instance on a cold day I heat my house to about 18oC so I'm not losing an uncomfortable amount of heat, I don't heat the air to 37oC, my body temp, as I'd melt my candles, lol).

Go to Top of Page

Se7enS1ns
Yearling

United Kingdom
354 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  23:03:19  Show Profile  Visit Se7enS1ns's Homepage  Reply with Quote
18degrees!!? Tight fisted sod, get the 'stat cranked up you skinflint!

I get what you mean about ambient temp being hight to reduce heat loss, I'm just concerned at as the inside of the hot hide is so low, poor old Ifrit will get a chill - the hide is a tree bark and as wood is a very poor conductor of heat, even if he is pressed up against it he wont absorb much heat from it - he is completely dependant on ambient temp it seems!

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  11:45:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol, 18 degrees is a perfect temperature.

I can assure you your snake won't be cold, it will be sitting on warm spots, leaning against the hot hide etc but if you are worried turn the stat up a degree or two, as long as you dont exceed 35oC then its fine.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  11:54:25  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Loving the guide bob, well done.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Falice
Yearling

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  14:36:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great guide, this is really helpful in my research about royals whilst i'm saving enough money to buy one/move house so i have the room for one lol. Thanks!

1.0.0 Royal (Sir Cuthbert)
1.0.0 Corn (Trevor)
1.0.0 C0ckatiel (Baldwin)
Go to Top of Page

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  23:20:58  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Great guide nuff said :D

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
2.0.0 Normal - George & Kairo
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko - Leo
0.0.1 Crocodile gecko - Pheonix

Go to Top of Page

Se7enS1ns
Yearling

United Kingdom
354 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  23:23:44  Show Profile  Visit Se7enS1ns's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mod gods can you sticky this please, this has helped me out no end

Go to Top of Page

Jayde
Yearling

United Kingdom
291 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  17:43:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So should i put the hot end probe ONTOP of the hide or inside?

So do I need to have the thermostat probe AND a digital thermometer probe on the hot side, and then take the temperature reading from the thermometer and set the stat temperature based on this reading?

Both in the same place?

Edited by - Jayde on 02/06/2012 18:09:00
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  18:18:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outside the hide. I actually try not to have the hide directly under the bulb, I put my hides just to the side of the bulb (imagining the bulb guard goes right to the floor).

And yes you set the stat from the thermometer reading and not the numbers printed on it as where you place the probe will affect the way it works so long as the temperature reading comes from directly under the bulb.

Go to Top of Page

Jayde
Yearling

United Kingdom
291 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  18:26:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've set the lamp up to be directly over the hide, as the new hide is a corner one :/
So will my probes go on the floor at the edge of the hide? making them slightly further away from the bulb and it's heat radius?
Go to Top of Page

andybeta
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  15:31:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great guide, thanks.

I read somewhere that the hides should be the same so that the snake doesn't come to prefer one to the other and fail to regulate it's temperature because of that preference. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

I ask because I was going to go with one cork hide (at the ambient end) and a basking-slate topped hide at the warm end.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000