Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Unamed
Yearling

United Kingdom
147 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2012 :  10:34:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been advised to try and give my royal a live prey item in about 14 days time as he is not eating great. i havent had him long and have assist fed him once (wed 20th) he did not eat on wed 27th.

Therefore i am going to leave him well alone for about 2 weeks then offer him something.

Is it legal to feed live? As he is quite small (still on fuzzys) what size live prey should i offer him if i go down this route to get his feeding responses working effectively?

0.0.1 Python Regius

matthewsaint
Yearling

United Kingdom
170 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2012 :  11:57:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is legal to feed live as long as the snake is dropping a lot of weight I believe. However, I would live feed, I would personally just keep drying on defrost mice until he does eat. Mine missed 4 feeds before she ate, which was around 5 weeks.

1.0 normal
0.1 pastel
Go to Top of Page

Unamed
Yearling

United Kingdom
147 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2012 :  13:30:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok i will keep going with the thawed out feeds and see how he goes. thanks for response.

0.0.1 Python Regius
Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2012 :  13:42:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its not illegal to feed live its just a grey area. i believe it becomes illegal if you film it and post it or have people round for entertainment purposes. you have a duty of care to both the snake and the live food. i.e your not allowed to let the snake starve to death as you could be done for cruelty to animals you also have to take care of the live food

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy
Go to Top of Page

Unamed
Yearling

United Kingdom
147 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2012 :  14:20:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i dont actually want to do it but if my snake is going to end up starving i would without a doubt. like suggested, i will leave him for a bit then offer thawed or fuzzies.

0.0.1 Python Regius
Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2012 :  14:28:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i would only consider live feeding if every other option had failed and the snake had lost too much weight.

it worked wonders for me in the past

0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2012 :  15:03:40  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blackskull

i would only consider live feeding if every other option had failed and the snake had lost too much weight.

Personally I don't see live as anything terrible, I'd definitely be live feeding before force or assisting in future.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2012 :  15:07:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

quote:

Personally I don't see live as anything terrible, I'd definitely be live feeding before force or assisting in future.

sorry didn't word it well and finish off what was in my head, its been a long week lol.

i too would offer live before assist or force feeding, im sure theres more stress involved to the snake being held and a mouse/rat forced into them rather than putting a live one in with them

0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
Go to Top of Page

Carl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2012 :  15:29:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd much rather feed live than assist or especially force!

My royal didn't want to feed at first but I've got her feeding well now. My routine is:
Remove fuzzy from freezer and pop it in a sealed box in the cold end of her viv (she's in a rub within the viv)
Roughly an hour before I plan to feed take the lid off box and pop it under the heat lamp.
When ready to feed warm the front half of the prey up really warm with the hair dryer. As I do this she flies out her hide as she smells it
Open the lid, hold the prey round it's neck or belly so it looks like a mouse still lol, she didn't like them being hung by their tail.
Wait for her to strike then constrict and leave her to it.

I kept a towel over half the viv so natural light was getting in but most of the activity in the room was blocked. Hair dryer made the biggest difference for me. I tried her every 5 days, she is about 9-10 weeks old. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Cookie
Yearling

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2012 :  15:49:32  Show Profile  Visit Cookie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, I had major problems with feeding Sebastian, I even had my local reptile shop owner keep it for 3 months to try, he said he managed to force feed it once. I tried force feeding it after but I couldnt put him through the stress. I heard something about blockages, but the shop dude said he checked for this. In total it was just over 7 months before he started to eat properly, and is still picky to this day. The shop owner suggested sneeking me live gerbils but I refused.

However what I did was bath him for a while in warm water a few times, rub my fingers down his underside and then I heard a crack! All of a sudden he passed a stool, he was clearly constipated for 7 months the poor dude. I dont know if this will help but thought Id share my story.

1.2.0 Royal Pythons (Sebastian, Romeo & Gypsy)
Go to Top of Page

GMac
Grumpy scots admin

United Kingdom
1152 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2012 :  20:05:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

its not illegal to feed live its just a grey area. i believe it becomes illegal if you film it and post it or have people round for entertainment purposes. you have a duty of care to both the snake and the live food. i.e your not allowed to let the snake starve to death as you could be done for cruelty to animals you also have to take care of the live food

it is illegal to live feed unless it is in the snakes best interest. If the snake just wont take f/t or fresh killed then you can feed live. If you can show the snakes health is in a bad way then you can feed live.

Royals, Corns, Boa, Kings, Hoggy, Ratsnakes

Go to Top of Page

Unamed
Yearling

United Kingdom
147 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2012 :  23:46:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if anybody knows where i can buy live that would be greatly appreciated, should i need to go down that route.

0.0.1 Python Regius
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  09:27:38  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Where abouts do you live Unamed?

Go to Top of Page

Unamed
Yearling

United Kingdom
147 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  11:08:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Croydon south east London

0.0.1 Python Regius
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  11:09:14  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ah, I know somebody in Portsmouth who does live food but that's a hell of a way for you to travel just for a mouse.

Go to Top of Page

Unamed
Yearling

United Kingdom
147 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  14:13:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes unfortunately a bit too far! Thanks anyway

0.0.1 Python Regius
Go to Top of Page

LittlestarRed
Yearling

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  19:13:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I resorted to feeding live for one of mine. She was very young, hadn't fed for 8 weeks and I'd tried everything else bar force feeding. She was losing condition and I was about to call the vets.
Then a guy we know who breeds his own mice for his snakes, offered us a couple of little ones to try her with. She was terrified of the first and hid, as soon as the mouse got close to her hide she struck defensively at first but instinct then kicked in and she took it! After a bit of work I now have her munching on defrost Rats!

In my experience it worked well to kick start the feeding instinct!

Sadly I don't know of any live food suppliers in our area (I'm in the south east too).

Good Luck!

Royals:1.2 Normals 'Hector'(He's my Baby! lol),'Lily' & 'Satan',0.1 Albino 'Alice', 0.2 Bumblebees 'Belle' & 'unnamed', 0.1 Pinstripe 'Stripy', 1.0 Pastel het Albino 'Pasty' 1.0 HG Woma 'Helix' & 0.1 Lesser 'Honey' 1.0 Enchi 'Max',0.1 Pewter Fader 'Pandora' and 1.0 Clown 'Krusty'. Others: 0.1 Corn 'Nagini', 1.0 BRB 'Juju', 1.0 Honduran BCI 'Lucius', 1.1 Beardies 'Beanie and Snuggle' and 1.0 Yemen Chameleon 'Jasper'(a.k.a Hissy Fusspot).

Edited by - LittlestarRed on 02/07/2012 19:14:19
Go to Top of Page

macquirie
Yearling

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  19:30:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unamed, I am also having trouble with non-feeders, got one that hasn't eaten for 6 months! I also live in Croydon and have been told of somewhere in Croydon to buy, but I'm still persevering with defrost for the moment

Warmest Wishes,

John

1.0.0 Het Albino,Monty
0.1.0 Het Albino,Medusa
0.2.0 Het Albinos,Boudicca & Cleopatra
Go to Top of Page

Unamed
Yearling

United Kingdom
147 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  19:50:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh really? do you think you could let me know where?

also where in croydon are you from? drop me a pm if you can so its not all out in the open. id appreciate that, thank you.

0.0.1 Python Regius
Go to Top of Page

macquirie
Yearling

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  20:24:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've sent you an email through this site but I'm not sure if it works!! let me know if you get it.

Warmest Wishes,

John

1.0.0 Het Albino,Monty
0.1.0 Het Albino,Medusa
0.2.0 Het Albinos,Boudicca & Cleopatra
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  22:11:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The email on here doesn't work you will need to post your email address on here BUT replace the @ for an [at] as you dont want the net-naughties stealing your address for a spamathon.

Edited by - Lotabob on 03/07/2012 22:11:52
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000