Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Off Royal
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 My Venomous Snake Training (VERY pic heavy)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  13:35:23  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello guys!
As some of you know I attended the wrigglies shop’s venomous handling training course yesterday. I’m going to share some photos kindly taken by my wonderful girlfriend. Unfortunately due to the nature of the training flash photography was not allowed and due to the speed of the snakes many of the photos are rather blurred.
We set off for the training at about 2:30pm to arrive at the shop for just shy of 5pm, naturally I was excited by the prospect of getting to see half of these animals (let alone handle them!)
When we arrived it was hard to miss the giant cage with two croc’s in it! Adie immediately fell in love and decided to use up half her camera’s memory taking pictures of them!

So after the croc’s we took a look around what would prove to be one of the best exotics shops I’ve ever been to, everything was perfectly clean, the store had a lot of space to walk around and everyone was very friendly and talkative.
We saw an awesome turtle of some sort!

And some ridiculously large lizards!

And finally the training was ready to roll as the last of the customers left the store, we went over some bite procedures and talked about safety as well as looked over all the gear we would soon be using.
From left to right;
Giant comedy tongs! Two pinning devices, a mini carbon hook, a gentle grabber and finally the good old trusty hook!

Then it was straight onto hook training! For this we got some false water cobra’s and a bull snake to have some fun with!

This was good fun but no more troublesome than what we had pretty much all done at home before.
But next up was Colin the 7ft Egyptian cobra! Not too proud to admit at this point I started to sweat. Below is one of our trainers, Julian.

After watching Julian make it look easy it was our turn!
Strangely enough this wasn’t as difficult as it looked and Colin was an absolute star with us handling him.

Although when he turns to face you, it does get a little scary!

Only at the end did Colin actually remember he was a cobra!

Julian pinned him and took the opportunity to show us the business end!

Everyone took a turn taking Colin for a walk and we moved onto the next snake!
This was a rhino viper, and it was in a completely different league to the Egyptian we had just happily walked around. This guy was hissing and puffing and meant business so with awkward giant hex armor gloves on I stepped up!

It was all going to plan, It was all going so well. And then, disaster!
I had somehow managed to get both my hooks tangled, the viper took the opportunity to wrap around them both and he was muscle, I couldn’t get them apart and he was crawling steadily up the hooks!

My second and third handlers came in to assist and I managed to untangle myself and get back in control

With my second handler ready to close the lid I managed to get him moved into his second box!

Phew! That was scary!

Next up was this little guy! There had been a few rattlesnakes before that the others had handled that were big and scary, my guy was a teenager and a bit moody but there were two rattlers in this box!

He was a wriggler alright but this wasn’t bad, I felt comfortable with this guy and he was as good as gold, the funny thing about a rattlesnake is how loud the rattle is, while the others were handling them I was amazed but when I had these guys on my hook I was concentrating so much I didn’t hear a thing!

Julian and Dave showed us some puff adders next, these guys were insane and WAY out of our league, they bounced around striking like madmen and Julian explained that although they’re short when they strike for you they are so powerful they actually leave the ground so can strike longer than their bodies!

Next up was what I had waited for! If I get a DWAL the snake it’ll be for was this! The monocle cobra!

But boy did they look a handful climbing up Julians hook!

Time to step up again!
Gently by the tail!

Let’s have a little walk!

And back in the box

Phew, that was a rush! Amazing how after you handle the snakes the temperature rises about 10c

Next Dave showed us a wagners viper that was gravid while Julian showed us the Gaboon we would soon be handling!

Julian and Dave showed us how to tube a hundred pacer / sharp nosed viper (apparently a snake with a thousand different common names, so let’s just call it a Deinagkistrodon: Good luck pronouncing it)

They explained this is a great way to both assist feed and administer medicine, it’s also a nice way to see these snakes close up without too much danger.

It was too dangerous to tube a lot of these venomous snakes so out came the bull again!

I could see why this would be dangerous, there is a moment where you have to go down and drop your hook, grabbing the snake. If you misjudge the timing the snake can sometimes pull itself back out, my bull came in and out a few times and the last thing I would want is a venomous snake coming out the tube when I’ve dropped my hook!

Next up was for me the scariest snake, I don’t know if it was because I had done a bit of research into the bites from these animals or the general fear around them but the gaboon viper was the one I thought I’d back out of handling.
Fortunately he was a little one still, but little or not he was a dangerous snake!

The last snake of the day and I finally felt as if I was getting the hang of using the hook.

The day was brilliant and everyone at the shop was fantastic. At no point did I feel like they were taking over and I wasn’t learning but I also never felt afraid or as if they weren’t in control. The animals were simply amazing and I got my dream of handling a cobra by myself! I guess it’s time for a new dream: Owning one.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/

Edited by - Kelfezond on 23/12/2012 14:51:20

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  13:55:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great write up, looked like a great afternoon of adrenaline and snakes.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  13:59:55  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh aye it was brilliant! So strange how when you're doing it there is no adrenaline, it's not until you close the lid and think "**** that was a rattlesnake" that it hits you lool

Go to Top of Page

SteGore
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  14:41:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good times.
Bit green with envy at the moment. :)

3.2.5.Corns.
1.0.0.Pastel Boa.
1.0.0.CCP.
0.1.0.Royal.
1.0.0.BRB.
0.2.0.Cali Kings.
0.0.1.Mex Black King.
1.0.0.Peppermint Pacman Frog.
0.1.0.Giant Millipede.
0.0.2.Gals.
0.1.0.Shihtszu Cross-Yoshi Bear.
2 Full Fish Tanks.
Go to Top of Page

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  14:55:49  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Great article, that's definitely something to tell the grandkids

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
2.0.0 Normal - George & Kairo
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko - Leo
0.0.1 Crocodile gecko - Pheonix

Go to Top of Page

Fezza
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1063 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  15:00:21  Show Profile  Visit Fezza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looked like you had an amazing day.

Did I read somewhere about assist feeding a venomous????!!!!! I'd be offering food via what I'd term the "live hand grenade" teqnique Lol

1.0.0 normal royal
1.0.0 mojave royal
1.0.0 pastel enchi royal
0.1.0 cinnamon royal
0.1.0 pewter royal
0.1.0 genetic stripe royal
0.1.0 lesser goblin royal
0.1.0 phantom royal
0.1.0 Columbian rainbow boa
0.0.1 aru x jaya GTP
0.1.0 bredli
1.0.0 trans pecos rat snake
1.0.0 fat black cat
Go to Top of Page

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  17:42:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looked like an awesome day

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  19:57:32  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Was a brilliant day! :D

And yeah thats what the tube is for Fezza :D

Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  20:19:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
awesome,glad you had fun to mate

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

Fezza
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1063 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  21:04:10  Show Profile  Visit Fezza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

Was a brilliant day! :D

And yeah thats what the tube is for Fezza :D

What? You use them to fling the food over vast distances like the tennis ball lobbers for dogs, yeah?!?

1.0.0 normal royal
1.0.0 mojave royal
1.0.0 pastel enchi royal
0.1.0 cinnamon royal
0.1.0 pewter royal
0.1.0 genetic stripe royal
0.1.0 lesser goblin royal
0.1.0 phantom royal
0.1.0 Columbian rainbow boa
0.0.1 aru x jaya GTP
0.1.0 bredli
1.0.0 trans pecos rat snake
1.0.0 fat black cat
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2012 :  09:37:03  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
lol possibly Fezz' xD

Go to Top of Page

jonnyc1988
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
908 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2012 :  21:17:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, this looks amazing!! Where do you do it and how much does it cost? That Gaboon is amazing, def one of my favs. I would never own a venomous snake, but I would definitely do this course.
The bull is probably a good choice for training, they can be damn fast when handling them!

1.0.0 Pastel Royal Python - Juju CB11
0.1.0 Western Hognose - Hetti CB12
1.0.0 Fire Harlequin Crested Gecko - Jasper CB13
0.1.0 Het Kahl Common Boa (bci) - Pandora CB13
1.3.0 Viper geckos
1.1.0 66% PH Toffee 50% Kayuadi reticulated pythons
0.1.0 Platinum Tiger Reticulated python
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2012 :  21:47:43  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I did the course at Wrigglies in Dunstable and it cost me £150 :) well worth it

Edited by - Kelfezond on 10/07/2012 21:47:56
Go to Top of Page

Welly
Yearling

United Kingdom
423 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2012 :  23:26:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome!!

0.1.0 Royal Python
0.0.1 Mexican Black King
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2012 :  00:00:16  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks Welly :)

Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2012 :  01:41:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jonnyc1988

Wow, this looks amazing!! Where do you do it and how much does it cost? That Gaboon is amazing, def one of my favs. I would never own a venomous snake, but I would definitely do this course.
The bull is probably a good choice for training, they can be damn fast when handling them!

Yeah same here,But still looks well worth it and a nice day out.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

rockroyal
Yearling

United Kingdom
470 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2012 :  13:26:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteGore

Good times.
Bit green with envy at the moment. :)

I second the above! What a awesome afternoon I'm very green with envy

3.1.0 royal python
2.0.0 corn snake
0.1.0 western hognose
0.1.0 bci
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2012 :  11:13:29  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Lol it's not a bad price for the evening you guys should do it :D

Go to Top of Page

Foremand
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
968 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2012 :  17:54:38  Show Profile  Click to see Foremand's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Looks like an awesome day

1.0.0 Royal python- Kaa
1.0.0 German shepherd- Riley
0.3.0 Cats- Does not matter they won't come to you
1.0.0 Red Footed Tortoise- Nemo
1.0.0 Boa- Bison
0.0.1 Brocky- Bearded dragon
Go to Top of Page

Falice
Yearling

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2013 :  19:34:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why have I only just seen this? Looks like you had an amazing day I would absolutely love to handle a cobra. I'm definitely going to look into doing something like this!

1.0.0 Royal (Sir Cuthbert)
1.0.0 Corn (Trevor)
1.0.0 C0ckatiel (Baldwin)
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2013 :  10:41:14  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Falice

Why have I only just seen this? Looks like you had an amazing day I would absolutely love to handle a cobra. I'm definitely going to look into doing something like this!

When you're ready let me know I'll see if I can get you booked in :D

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000