Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bam
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  19:13:47  Show Profile  Visit Bam's Homepage  Click to see Bam's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, just some more queries from a newbie Royal keeper

last week i came into possession of my first Royal Hatchling, lovely little snake, and seems to have settled in quite well, aside from the first day he has not attempted to strike at me again, and has been exploring the faun every evening when he wakes up. I have handled him for short periods of time, and he's moving around while I'm handling him, and appears to be getting used to me, which is all great.

I attempted the first feed yesterday evening. I had been told its best to feed Royals in the evening as there much more active, so offered the rat fuzzy at 22:30, he did not strike, so i left it in the cool end of the faun over night.

He did not take it, so i removed and disposed of the rat fuzz this morning.

Now i have heard that Royals can be bad feeders, so i must say i suppose i expected it in some sense.

The Setup.

Temps in the Faun are around 32-33 in the warm end, but i do not have a thermometer in the cool end. He has a large hide in the middle of the warm/cool end and a smaller bark hide in the cool end, as advised by the local reptile store.

Does all this sound about right? or am i doing anything wrong/could be better. which could put him off his food?
I'm keen to get this right so any advice would be much appreciated.

How long should i go before offering food again, i know for certain he had two feeds previously on frozen rat fuzzy's at the pet store.

Thank you in advance!

Bam™

2.0.0 Royal Pythons
1.0.1 Corn Snakes
0.0.1 Leopard Gecko

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  19:16:37  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What heating are you using for the faun? It's rare to be able to get the right temperatures in one of those style as they have a lot of air holes in the roof.

As for feeding you shouldn't worry too much just yet, it's not that "royals are bad feeders" it's just the way they eat, they're not designed to eat often. :)

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Stewy-C-
Yearling

United Kingdom
103 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  19:22:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As kelf said. How you heating?

Also, you should stop handling it until it has eaten a few times IMO.

1.0 Spider Royal
0.1 Pastel Royal
0.1 Snow Corn
"The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about"
"On the internet you can be anything you want, its strange that so many people choose to be stupid"
Go to Top of Page

Bam
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  19:24:33  Show Profile  Visit Bam's Homepage  Click to see Bam's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

What heating are you using for the faun? It's rare to be able to get the right temperatures in one of those style as they have a lot of air holes in the roof.

As for feeding you shouldn't worry too much just yet, it's not that "royals are bad feeders" it's just the way they eat, they're not designed to eat often. :)

Fast reply - Using a 12w heat mat 11x11 - Heat mat is on a polystyrene base to help reflect the heat upwards into the tank, and the stat and thermometer are on the bottom of the tank, so thats not air temperature, thats the floor temps.

I know its been just over two weeks since he last fed at the pet store. from what i understand, adult Royals can go months between feeds, how long is it expected for hatchies?

I have covered the faun with a tea towel to try and help him settle in, so maybe that has helped with the temps, should i remove it?

Bam™

2.0.0 Royal Pythons
1.0.1 Corn Snakes
0.0.1 Leopard Gecko

Edited by - Bam on 18/07/2012 19:26:01
Go to Top of Page

Bam
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  19:27:18  Show Profile  Visit Bam's Homepage  Click to see Bam's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stewy-C-

As kelf said. How you heating?

Also, you should stop handling it until it has eaten a few times IMO.

Thanks Stewy, will leave him with the handling.

Bam™

2.0.0 Royal Pythons
1.0.1 Corn Snakes
0.0.1 Leopard Gecko
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  19:28:10  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You should do to check that you can hold the temps, yes :) Sounds like you're pretty prepared.

Just to clarify - is the heat mat under the faun or inside?

Go to Top of Page

Bam
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  19:32:51  Show Profile  Visit Bam's Homepage  Click to see Bam's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

You should do to check that you can hold the temps, yes :) Sounds like you're pretty prepared.

Just to clarify - is the heat mat under the faun or inside?

Okies, Thanks Kelfezond, ill remove the towel and see how the temps go. The heat mat is under the Faun with a 5mm air gap, i basically used the same setup as i used for my corn hatchies, just set the stat to 34 (100w Habistat)

He does feel quite warm to touch when i have handled him. but as advised, ill leave him now until he's feeding regularly.

Bam™

2.0.0 Royal Pythons
1.0.1 Corn Snakes
0.0.1 Leopard Gecko
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  19:34:48  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you've got it all set my friend. And as for your question about fasting there is no real time period some handle it better than others, my little ones I generally don't worry about until 4 weeks have passed or I notice a weight loss, my adult Scar went over 12 months without a feed.

There is a guide on feeding on the general care section I wrote you might want to take a look at it :)

Go to Top of Page

Bam
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  19:35:22  Show Profile  Visit Bam's Homepage  Click to see Bam's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Whilst were on the subject guys, is there a better alternative to a Faunarium which would be more suited to a Royal Hatchling?... maybe better with temps, etc?

Bam™

2.0.0 Royal Pythons
1.0.1 Corn Snakes
0.0.1 Leopard Gecko
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  19:36:18  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I use plastic RUBs (Really useful boxes) on my hatchling royals, basically the same thing a plastic container but without so much air flow from the lid.

Go to Top of Page

Bam
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  19:45:26  Show Profile  Visit Bam's Homepage  Click to see Bam's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

I use plastic RUBs (Really useful boxes) on my hatchling royals, basically the same thing a plastic container but without so much air flow from the lid.

Well ill check the temps without the towel, else wise ill have a look for something else :)

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Bam™

2.0.0 Royal Pythons
1.0.1 Corn Snakes
0.0.1 Leopard Gecko
Go to Top of Page

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  23:19:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I found it harder to keep the temps right,As it takes awhile for the heat to pass through the plastic,due to the little feet to.

And trying to get the probe inside to sit flush on the bottom.I even broke some of the black plastic on the top off :) I found rubs easier

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

Bam
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2012 :  11:57:52  Show Profile  Visit Bam's Homepage  Click to see Bam's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boomslang

quote:

I found it harder to keep the temps right,As it takes awhile for the heat to pass through the plastic,due to the little feet to.

And trying to get the probe inside to sit flush on the bottom.I even broke some of the black plastic on the top off :) I found rubs easier

I had the same trouble with the probes, had to drill the holes a little wider on the lid, and then used kitchen towel strips to wedge them in really tight. I have my stat probe hanging down the back left corner, so it sits pretty flush on the bottom of the faun.

I hear a lot of people around using RUB's, what kinda size would you go for?

Bam™

2.0.0 Royal Pythons
1.0.1 Corn Snakes
0.0.1 Leopard Gecko
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2012 :  12:17:57  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I use 9litre for hatchlings, 12 litre for juveniles and 50 litre for adults :)

Go to Top of Page

Bam
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2012 :  12:52:14  Show Profile  Visit Bam's Homepage  Click to see Bam's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kelf, any ideas on where I could pick some up?

Bam™

2.0.0 Royal Pythons
1.0.1 Corn Snakes
0.0.1 Leopard Gecko
Go to Top of Page

CoN
Yearling

United Kingdom
400 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2012 :  13:31:45  Show Profile  Visit CoN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I bought most of my 9L RUBS at Argos.

9.11.0 Python Regius (Ball/Royal Pythons)
1.1.0 Heterodon nasicus (Western Hognose)
Feel free to join my Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/pages/LAMB-Pythons/160412530658527
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2012 :  13:39:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Staples sell all the rubs you`d ever need.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2012 :  17:09:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I had the same trouble with the probes, had to drill the holes a little wider on the lid, and then used kitchen towel strips to wedge them in really tight. I have my stat probe hanging down the back left corner, so it sits pretty flush on the bottom of the faun.

Yeah i did this,but made a massive hole where the plastic just broke Kinda gave up at that point and just used a rub.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

Bam
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2012 :  22:03:40  Show Profile  Visit Bam's Homepage  Click to see Bam's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys will have a search about :)

Bam™

2.0.0 Royal Pythons
1.0.1 Corn Snakes
0.0.1 Leopard Gecko
Go to Top of Page

Bam
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2012 :  22:09:36  Show Profile  Visit Bam's Homepage  Click to see Bam's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boomslang

quote:

Yeah i did this,but made a massive hole where the plastic just broke Kinda gave up at that point and just used a rub.

lol, the clips have broken on the lid, which is why the probe leads are wedged in with kitchen towel and sellotape, lol...

I'm thinking a RUB may be easier

Bam™

2.0.0 Royal Pythons
1.0.1 Corn Snakes
0.0.1 Leopard Gecko
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2012 :  22:11:58  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Have a look at my ' how to set up a rub' video mate ;-)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000