New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PythonLeeJackson
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2014 :  17:07:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just had a successful shed last night, but for the last tiny tip of his tail. I used a soft wet sponge and it rolled off easily, but left a tiny pink spot on his tail tip which then bled very slightly; probably just the final scale. I was surpised as the skin simply slid off, but I gave his tail tip a dip wash in an egg cup :)and a gentle dab or two with a tissue. I had to clean his viv anyway and then popped him back in when I was sure he was OK. But it made me wonder about the best way to deal with minor things like this. With tarantulas you can stem hemolymph with cornflour, you can clean most mammalian minor abrasions with a salt water solution, but what about pythons..? I have tried a forum search but couldn't find anything...

PythonLeeJackson
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2014 :  21:13:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK... done a bit more research now... seems that snake abrasions/scale loss responds well to either Tamodine, Vetadine or F10 germicidal barrier ointment, depending upon what you read. Does anyone on the forum have any experience or views on these?
Go to Top of Page

Alves76
Yearling

United Kingdom
333 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2014 :  21:27:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry mate, I can't be of any help...

However, for my snake's very first shed the very final tip was stuck too (about 1-2 millimetres or so). I tried damping it and rubbing it off but it wouldn't come off. I got advice here and was told that such a small amount wouldn't do any harm so I left it. At the next shed it came off perfectly. Just a thought if it happens again.

I know it's not much help for your situation now - sorry. I hope someone can shed some light soon.

0.1.0 Normal Royal
1.0.0 Common BCI

Go to Top of Page

PythonLeeJackson
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2014 :  21:53:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for replying Alves... and I thought I was the only one home alone on a Saturday night..! ;)
Go to Top of Page

Alves76
Yearling

United Kingdom
333 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2014 :  22:23:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL. There is always someone else.

0.1.0 Normal Royal
1.0.0 Common BCI

Go to Top of Page

PythonLeeJackson
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2014 :  04:29:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So... it's too hot to get back to sleep and so I'm back surfing the net. Well it beats counting sheep anyway. Just read Wolfspirit's "Common Snake Ailments" - why didn't I see this before? It's right above this post, too. What am I like? (no replies needed to that question thanks ). I'll get 50ml Tamodine then. Job done.

Edited by - PythonLeeJackson on 06/07/2014 04:30:10
Go to Top of Page

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2014 :  05:31:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be honest from what you have explained I wouldnt worry about it or putting anything on there as the bleeding was only a tiny amount an then stopped just keep an eye on the area an keep it clean with warm water.
if really worried about it then change the substrate to newspaper/kitchen roll till its healed/looks better which will likely only be a few days
my mums old corn lost a couple of mm off her tail when we didnt notice a tiny amount of retained shed, gently removed this and unfortunately a couple of scales came with it but just checked it daily and it healed up just fine

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

PythonLeeJackson
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2014 :  21:20:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, I agree with you Chrisc. I've had a look since and it hardly notices, a small pink spot instead of brown, but I expect the next shed or two will replace the scale. Just makes you feel a bit guilty..!(I'll still put a small bottle of Tamodine in the cupboard just in case of any future injuries). Thanks for your feedback

Edited by - PythonLeeJackson on 09/07/2014 21:24:31
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000