New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rustyp1974
Sub Adult

France
554 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2014 :  14:44:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sadly we lost Ernie on Saturday afternoon. It all happened very quickly & came as quite a shock.
All was well until Friday afternoon when he suddenly lost the use of his back legs & tail. He had been feeding, pooing & peeing normally & his temps & humidity were spot on. At first I thought it was Metabolic Bone Disease but his legs were not curved & he was always given his Calcium & vitamins as normal. We got him to the vets on Saturday & she spent over an hour trying to find the problem. He had a small amount of blood seeping from his vent & we all thought he may have taken a fall & pulled himself back up with his front legs. X-rays revealed no broken bones & his bones looked strong & healthy. Unfortunately he was too small to take a blood sample & the vet thought the most likely cause was some kind of kidney infection or something parasitic. He was given a shot of antibiotics. I got him home & placed him in a smaller reptibreeze cage on a hammock of leaves closer to his UV & heat while I went to the pharmacy to collect the other medication. When I got back sadly he had gone.

As a precaution I have stripped out all of my snake & Beardie viv's/RUB's & F10'd everything to within & inch of its life just to be on the safe side.

RIP Ernie.

1.0.0 Classic Royal Python - Apsalar
0.1.0 Fire Pinstripe Royal Python - Ember
1.1.0 Het Clown Royals (Male Pastel)
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon GG X Sandfire - Bert
1.1.O Sunset Bearded Dragons
1.0.0 Veiled/Yemen Chameleon - Ernie.RIP.
0.0.1 Pandinus Cavimanus Africanus
1.1.0 White Headed Dwarf Geckos
1.0.0 Morelia SP Jungle Jaguar
1.0.0 BCI Nicaraguan Salmon
1.0.0 Reticulated Python.Tiger/50% Jampea

Edited by - rustyp1974 on 14/07/2014 14:47:16

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2014 :  14:46:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for your loss.

Go to Top of Page

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2014 :  17:49:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear this :( were you giving him the right lvls of vitamins? Ie Once/twice a month? and what vits were you using?Could have been an infection or a fall/

It's sad :( as you've not had him that long.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

rustyp1974
Sub Adult

France
554 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2014 :  21:39:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys.

We were giving gut loaded crickets & hoppers & they were dusted with a calcium & Vit D3 supplement two or three times a week along with a vitamin mineral supplement once a week. Haven't got the tub handy but think it contained beta carotene (spelling)!
My Gf is absolutely gutted we lost him as he was her pet really & cant help feeling guilty that we did something wrong. I'm sure we looked after him fine, everything was sound with his set up & feeding but they are fragile creatures.

1.0.0 Classic Royal Python - Apsalar
0.1.0 Fire Pinstripe Royal Python - Ember
1.1.0 Het Clown Royals (Male Pastel)
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon GG X Sandfire - Bert
1.1.O Sunset Bearded Dragons
1.0.0 Veiled/Yemen Chameleon - Ernie.RIP.
0.0.1 Pandinus Cavimanus Africanus
1.1.0 White Headed Dwarf Geckos
1.0.0 Morelia SP Jungle Jaguar
1.0.0 BCI Nicaraguan Salmon
1.0.0 Reticulated Python.Tiger/50% Jampea

Go to Top of Page

Baobab
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1393 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2014 :  12:02:04  Show Profile  Send Baobab an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for your loss rusty.

Royal 8.0 - Piebald (Dipstick), Calico (Flake), Pinstripe (Copper), Kingpin het Hypo (Gabriel), Soulsucker (Morgoth), Clown (Ziggy), Phantom (Spook), Enchi( Stenchi) .................Royal 0.12 - Pastel (Elanor), Spider (Willow), Normal het pied (Loki),, Pastel Sterling Orange Hypo (Misty), Normal (WC parents) (Cinders), Pewter (Tinuviel), Yellowbelly (Kaiko), Mojave (Milly), Champagne (Bubbles), Fire (Flame), Karma paradox (Smudge), Amoretti (Rita).Boa's 2.2.1- Eowyn (common), Snuggles (BCC), Bonnie (BCC), Bear (BCL) & Baileys (Kahl strain)..........Western Hognose 0.0.2 - Timmy & Henry.
Coastal*diamond carpet python 0.0.1- Pippin.........Brazilian Rainbow Boa 0.0.1 - Badger..........Granite Burmese 0.1 - Sally
Reticulated python 2.2 - Saru (purple albino), Cheesy (Sunfire albino white), Titan (Platinum Titanium) & Gala (Sunfiretiger het albino)......Rat snake 1.0 Remmy.
Go to Top of Page

Alves76
Yearling

United Kingdom
333 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2014 :  17:00:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear of your loss.

0.1.0 Normal Royal
1.0.0 Common BCI

Go to Top of Page

Redware
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2014 :  18:49:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear this

Royals: 1:1:0 Lesser Pastel (Bismuth) Cinna Spin (Indium)
Corns: 1.2.0 Caramel Tessera Het Stripe ph lots (Oak) Caramel (Willow) Caramel Stripe Het Amel (Juniper)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000