New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lou Hamilton
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2014 :  19:36:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, completely new to this. We got our first python last weekend :-) very excited to be able to get him out once he's settled in :-) any help with the initial feed would be brilliant as he (sex hasn't been confirmed) wouldn't take the mouse last night nor did he touch it when I left it in his tank over night. He's very active and as soon as it gets to 9pm he's out of his hide and exploring his home and his water bowl! Thanks in advance :-)

Alves76
Yearling

United Kingdom
333 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2014 :  22:43:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi lou. Welcome to the forum. You'll find all you need to know here but you also won't be made to feel like a tube for asking something again.

Best advice I can give you is to wait at least 7 days before trying the next feed (more if you can wait). During this time don't even take your new friend out - just leave him to get used to his new place.

I'd also get him onto rats asap. There are more nutrients in rats.

I didn't wait when I first got my royal and got no joy for a few weeks. Then I waited a full week before trying again and that did the trick. Mightn't work for you but it's worth trying.

Oh, and make sure your rat is nice and warm before offering it. Some proven ways of doing this are...

Leave on radiator for an hour or so
Blast with a hair dryer for 5 or so mins
Use a spare hear mat (if you have one) and put the rat on that for half an hour before offering.

I leave my rat on top of the viv right above the ceramic heater when frozen. I leave it there at the start of the day and cover with tin foil. Then by evening it's at the perfect temperature for feeding.

I hope some of this helps. Some of the more learned contributors will be able to help too, but this will get you started.

I hope you enjoy your new friend. Post some photos of him and the setup, and one again, welcome to the forum.

0.1.0 Normal Royal
1.0.0 Common BCI

Go to Top of Page

Lou Hamilton
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2014 :  07:49:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, thanks for your reply :-)

He's only a baby (I think) so would rats be too big for him? He weighs 124g.
The only handling he has had so far was to move him out of the travel box and weigh him before popping him into his rub - this is 9 litre with a hide and water bowl and plant covering around the hide, it has a heat mat and thermostat and the temp is moving between 31.5 and 33. I change his water daily. I just want to make sure I do everything right as he has a lovely temperament and I want my kids to be able to interact with him when he's older.
I will make sure the food is warm as I wondering now if his previous one wasn't although I did thaw it out on his heat mat it was in a tub so prob only just room temp.
I will post some pics
Thanks again :-)
Go to Top of Page

Alves76
Yearling

United Kingdom
333 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2014 :  11:45:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I got my royal she was about 190g but was on small weaner rats. I would say pinkie rats would probably be OK for you. As far as I'm aware, there are many who feed pinkie rats or even small weaner rats as the first feed.

0.1.0 Normal Royal
1.0.0 Common BCI

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2014 :  15:23:22  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The small weaner rats I get are far too big for a 124g royal, at that weight I'd be feeding rat fuzzies or medium mice, but every shop seems to differ slightly on the sizes so it's best to weigh what rats you have and try to aim for around 10%-15% of the royals bodyweight.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

snakesmith
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2014 :  21:24:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, and welcome to the forum... As a new owner myself I have found tons of useful info on here.

I'm looking forward to seeing pics of your new addition to the family!
Go to Top of Page

Lou Hamilton
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2014 :  13:38:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update - he fed on Sunday night, fantastic to watch! And he came out yesterday to meet everyone!!
Go to Top of Page

Alves76
Yearling

United Kingdom
333 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2014 :  17:41:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's great when they feed for the first time. Something that I don't think I'll ever get tired of.

0.1.0 Normal Royal
1.0.0 Common BCI

Go to Top of Page

Fezza
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1063 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2014 :  17:56:11  Show Profile  Visit Fezza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome

1.0.0 normal royal
1.0.0 mojave royal
1.0.0 pastel enchi royal
0.1.0 cinnamon royal
0.1.0 pewter royal
0.1.0 genetic stripe royal
0.1.0 lesser goblin royal
0.1.0 phantom royal
0.1.0 Columbian rainbow boa
0.0.1 aru x jaya GTP
0.1.0 bredli