New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Calica
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2014 :  22:04:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure what's going on, I'm not sure how long she's had it either, but it was before her last shed and still looks like this after it.
I thought it might've been retained eyecaps but there doesn't seem to be any sign that there's skin still in the way or attached to it- her eye just seems 'steely'. But maybe that is retained eyecaps?
I've not dealt with them before so I don't really know!
She's only 1 years old.

Anyone else had something like this?

This is what her other eye looks like / how they both used to be

Sorry I don't have any better pictures showing the differences, but her right eye just seems like its clouded over and I can't see her pupil / colouring and details, it clearly stands out when you look at both of them and her right eye looks silver / grey.

Thanks, I'm gonna be taking her to a guy I know tomorrow, who has snakes of his own and see if he has any ideas what it could be or what I should do, but in the mean time; how about you guys? Any ideas?

Edited by - Calica on 29/11/2014 22:12:20

herriotfan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
812 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2014 :  09:52:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like it could be a retained eye cap.
Let us know what the chap says when you see him.
We might be able to help more....

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons (Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Gecko (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Fudge, Sox, Raven & Titch)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2014 :  12:48:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
first pic looks like a retained eye cap.can't really tell from the 2nd pic.Id up the humidity see if it comes off,or comes of in the next shed.

wouldnt go to ott with it atm,if still there next shed.Then start looking at other methods to remove it.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

Calica
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2014 :  17:04:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by herriotfan

Ahh yeah, it's a retained eyecap!
I've upped her humidity, if that doesn't work, what else can I do?
Thank you!

quote:
Originally posted by boomslang

first pic looks like a retained eye cap.can't really tell from the 2nd pic.Id up the humidity see if it comes off,or comes of in the next shed.

wouldnt go to ott with it atm,if still there next shed.Then start looking at other methods to remove it.

The second picture is showing her normal eye lmao

She shed just the other week so I don't know when she's up for another, but I've upped the humidity so I'll see what happens.
Thanks for your help!
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2014 :  17:32:38  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Calica

quote:

Thank you!

quote:

She shed just the other week so I don't know when she's up for another, but I've upped the humidity so I'll see what happens.
Thanks for your help!

If it's a retained cap it's a pretty easy issue, If you can comfortably pin her you just need to get a wet cotton bud stick and gently run it from the edge across, eventually it'll start to peel off and once you get the corner up it's easy.

Don't worry about hurting her eye they actually have a hard scale covering the eyeball so although you're running a cotton bud stick across her eyes it's not like it would be doing it across your own eye, think more running it across your glasses :)

If you're not confident in what you're doing get a friend or shop worker to do it for you (Or a vet!) once you've seen it done you can probably do it yourself next time.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Calica
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2014 :  19:43:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

quote:
Originally posted by Calica

quote:

Thank you!

quote:

Thanks for your help!

If it's a retained cap it's a pretty easy issue, If you can comfortably pin her you just need to get a wet cotton bud stick and gently run it from the edge across, eventually it'll start to peel off and once you get the corner up it's easy.

Don't worry about hurting her eye they actually have a hard scale covering the eyeball so although you're running a cotton bud stick across her eyes it's not like it would be doing it across your own eye, think more running it across your glasses :)

If you're not confident in what you're doing get a friend or shop worker to do it for you (Or a vet!) once you've seen it done you can probably do it yourself next time.

Ohh! Thank you for the help!
I actually just checked her now and her eyecap has come off, she can see clearly now haha!
If it happens in the future I'll take your advice if it refuses to come off, thank you! :D
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2014 :  20:29:45  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Brilliant :D always nice when things work themselves out.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Alves76
Yearling

United Kingdom
333 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2014 :  10:51:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What he said!

Glad it came off by itself.

0.1.0 Normal Royal
1.0.0 Common BCI

Go to Top of Page