Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dodof3
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2015 :  14:05:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all.
I know everyone says that royals go off their food and not to worry, but my 2 year old male hasnt eaten since october.
He ate every time it was offered until then.had him since about 2 months old.
He has lost a little weight, but nothing i am too concerned about, tongue flicking seems goood and normal, still looks nice and healthy. Is active of a night time, and a little during the day.
Have tried dipping his dinner in warm water(he always used to strike and eat at rooom temperature) tried moving his viv around, tried increasing the humidity. I have one other royal that i had to assist a few times when i first got her(from about 3-6 months old) but she has since started eating very well each time. but i dont want to do that with him as i am worried it will stress him.

PythonLeeJackson
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2015 :  20:14:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, your post is a few days old and I wonder if your RP has now fed? If not, here's a couple of things to maybe consider. (i) Mine stopped feeding for four months until April with little weight loss like yours, until he unexpectedly shed... and now he is feeding happily again. (ii) I heat my defrosts to above room temperature, nearer living body heat, to help him detect it. I use hot water but put the defrost in a sealed plastic food bag to stop it getting wet and diluting the delicious aroma & handle with forceps as much as poss to avoid scent contamination. Things seem quiet on the forum atm - hope this is of some help.
Go to Top of Page

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2015 :  05:10:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
unless he losses more than 10-15% of his bodyweight then theres no need to try force feeding plus it would just be stressful for him.

re check that the temperatures are still correct and keep offering every 10-14 days or so.
are you leaving the food in the cold end overnight?
also what types of food have you been offering?
sometimes a smaller meal can sometimes start them feeding again so can offering a chick, gerbil, hamster ect

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2

Edited by - chrisc on 06/05/2015 05:10:56
Go to Top of Page

Alves76
Yearling

United Kingdom
333 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2015 :  09:56:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's frustrating. I was like you, mine fed ok, but now it's not eating either. I can't really add to what's already been said, but do a search on this forum (and check out the sticky threads). There is a plethora of information on feeding and tips there.

Chris, you've mentioned before about putting the food in the cold end overnight? What's the reason for that?

0.1.0 Normal Royal
1.0.0 Common BCI

Edited by - Alves76 on 10/05/2015 09:59:22
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000