Alternative Eye Cap removal by Christian Castille
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  18:44:30  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Below is a guide written by Christian Castille as a way to remove retained eye caps. We would recommend that any eye conditions should ideally be seen by a vet prior to treatment.

Rubbing or using cotton wool on the eye lens can damage them and cause scratches...if its repeated it can causes blindness and/or infections, Oedema and panophthalmitis have also been known when cleaning the eye lens or Palpebral membrane due it being very susceptible to infection. The best,safest and most effective way of removing them is to use some sort of eye carbomer liquid gel, such as Viscotears from the chemist or sometimes on the aisles in Asda, Tescos and such. It uses a water-based lubricating film across the Palpebral membrane which causes the reptiles or snake in this case to have the skin simply fall off it.

So I will show you how I use this method.
You might need to repeat this 2-3 times, and you can incorporate other methods into this as well to help but this is the basics and works brilliantly.

Firstly get your self a snake with retained eye caps

Skin caught in the eye will have the same effect

Now have your Viscotears gel ready

Add a large blop over the eye(s)and place the snake in a tub for 5 minutes

After this period of time, add a blob of the gel onto a cotton wool bud....it's vital that you don't use the cotton wool bud as a tool to pull the skin off....you're simply using it as a way of manipulating the gel on the bud to make contact with the gel on the eye lens

When you move the gel around on the lens of the eye never ever do full circles...only ever do semi-circles and keep repeating this for 5 minutes.
Full circles just smothers the skin back down and actually makes it harder to come off(unless your using brute force which is of course dangerous)

Don't expect the eye cap to fall off there and then, but 3 hours later after placing the snake back in its enclosure

5 hours later and the photo speaks for its self

Hope this helps

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  22:10:13  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
and there's more as i read it properly...........
ANY sort of carbomer gel IS NOT safe however Viscotears should be.

ideally, use a fresh cotton wool bud if you have to break off or put it down anywhere, CLEANLINESS IS HIGHLY IMPORTANT

oh and VET DISCLAIMER!!!!

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

sheriff
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  21:22:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello new to the forum joined as one of my royals have this problem tried using some shed ease but not working so will defo be giving this a tri
Go to Top of Page

Cookie
Yearling

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  14:07:31  Show Profile  Visit Cookie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One of my royals may have this problem. Unfortunately I forgot to check his last shed to be sure, but basically his eyes look like there's cracks in them, he is actually quite healthy, and I thought it might be something like this.

Where would you get Viscotears at? And what would happen should he try to shed again before I do this?

1.2.0 Royal Pythons (Sebastian, Romeo & Gypsy)
Go to Top of Page

Cookie
Yearling

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  18:54:46  Show Profile  Visit Cookie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My dude has gone blue, hes due another shed but Ive still not managed to get the previous eye caps off yet. Will they simply come off with this shed? He only went blue yesterday, when should I put him in a damp pillow case as someone suggested before?

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  19:13:22  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You can pillow bath him any time, it's possible the next shed will pop them off but it's also possible he'll end up with two retained caps. (the method in this thread didn't work for me, tried it a good 5-6 times on the same retained shed)

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Cookie
Yearling

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  21:54:24  Show Profile  Visit Cookie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

You can pillow bath him any time, it's possible the next shed will pop them off but it's also possible he'll end up with two retained caps. (the method in this thread didn't work for me, tried it a good 5-6 times on the same retained shed)

Thanks.

Ill pillow bath him tonight when I get home. Really hope they come off! Just to check, all I need to do is wet the pillowcase, and put him inside it, then into the viv and leave him for 15 minutes?

What in your opinion has been the best practice for this Kelfezond? Or have you any other tips?

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2012 :  23:32:11  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
To be honest with retained caps I've been plagued a bit. I found the best way was (assuming your snake is calm) was to sit down for a few minutes with a cotton bud and some warm water and just gently stroke the eyes and pray to whichever god you choose that they come off :/

Other than that most of mine have eventually come off with next sheds.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000