New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Derek FRS
Yearling

United Kingdom
178 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2014 :  05:12:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi every1 i am going to be embarking on large home made vivarium for my boa when she gets bigger but im no carpenter or joiner but did study engineering for 4 years and now work for ford so can work my way round most DIY :) as i said a while back when i was thinking on getting a boa i have a nice big open area under my stairs so im thinking on making her viv at 6ft long by 2.5 ft wide by a max of 4 ft tall ive been thinking on using some melamine faced chipboard sealed and lined with slate effect laminate flooring/lyno as can get all this easily at the local builders centre or is there any better wood/suplies to use ? Also i have been look around an i cant find anywhere local that sells toughened glass :( for the doors so i have been thinking on using either plexi glass or acrylic instead so i am basically just looking for all pointers and tips before i jump into it :) i will put a full build thread up when i start the build

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2014 :  10:47:26  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I built pandora's vivarium myself hers is 8ftx2ftx5ft I remember most of the steps we took, acrylic or plexi should be fine as long but I'm no glass expert, I got my toughened glass real cheap from local glass shop, are you in southern england?

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2014 :  10:53:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
melamaine board will be fine an pretty much watertight when you have sealed the join's

personally i would go for glass over perspex expecially with one bit being 4ft high as a boa would easily bend it an squeeze out the gap

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000