Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alves76
Yearling

United Kingdom
333 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2015 :  18:40:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

Bob's RI never fully went away so he's on more antibiotics. However, I'm paranoid that there may be something wrong with his husbandry. His previous owner only had 1 thermometer and didn't look like he was controlling anything, but he appeared fine when he was with him (according to the owner). I go over the top with my monitoring. I think everything's as it should be, but I'm not sure of myself any more.

I've taken a short video of the temps. Can you tell me if there's something that I should be doing, please?

Many thanks to anyone who takes the time to watch and/or reply.

Here's the link...

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=C71DF4277B4B4924!1858&authkey=!ADMf1dl-wTah7uE&ithint=video%2cmp4

0.1.0 Normal Royal
1.0.0 Common BCI

Edited by - Alves76 on 14/02/2015 18:43:01

rustyp1974
Sub Adult

France
554 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2015 :  20:15:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How big's the viv & how big is the Boa? Whats the humidity level? From the vid temps don't look to bad. My hot end is 35. Is 37 a little to high? he/she has a nice gradient from hot to cool end but not much space to be able to move from one to the other, might just be the perspective on the film.
Just one question, does the blue bowl on the hot side have water in the top of it along with a water bowl too? Could be too high humidity.

1.0.0 Classic Royal Python - Apsalar
0.1.0 Fire Pinstripe Royal Python - Ember
1.1.0 Het Clown Royals (Male Pastel)
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon GG X Sandfire - Bert
1.1.O Sunset Bearded Dragons
1.0.0 Veiled/Yemen Chameleon - Ernie.RIP.
0.0.1 Pandinus Cavimanus Africanus
1.1.0 White Headed Dwarf Geckos
1.0.0 Morelia SP Jungle Jaguar
1.0.0 BCI Nicaraguan Salmon
1.0.0 Reticulated Python.Tiger/50% Jampea

Go to Top of Page

Alves76
Yearling

United Kingdom
333 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2015 :  21:23:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your input.

It's a 4' viv for a 6' snake. Snake and viv came together. Humidity is tough to keep up.

There's no water on top of the hides. I put a damp cloth on warm side during shed but humidity averages around 50% unless I intervene.

I thought 37 is a bit high too, but I can understand - it's right under the lamp. Inside is 31 but is the combination of both still too high?

0.1.0 Normal Royal
1.0.0 Common BCI

Edited by - Alves76 on 14/02/2015 21:24:33
Go to Top of Page

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2015 :  07:44:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
id say 37c is a little high to be honest i would turn it down a little to around 32/33c ish.
where does your boa spend most of it time?

best thing it to read what the boa is doing and adjust the temps accordingly.
william my boa doesnt like it that hot so his hot end/basking area is around 28/29c as if i set it to 32c he will stay crammed into the cool end and not move, with it being 28/29c he moved about an thermoregulates as he should do

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

Alves76
Yearling

United Kingdom
333 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2015 :  09:10:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Chris. He does spend most time in the cool side. I'll drop it down a notch.

0.1.0 Normal Royal
1.0.0 Common BCI

Go to Top of Page

chrisc

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2015 :  09:40:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
likely a bit too warm then yea see how it goes with dropping i down a few degrees

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

incubate 2 campaign
Go to Top of Page

Alves76
Yearling

United Kingdom
333 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2015 :  10:35:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers. What about humidity? I've read here that some of you don't bother monitoring but just add moisture during shed.

Is 45-50% RH not a bit on the low side?

0.1.0 Normal Royal
1.0.0 Common BCI

Go to Top of Page

chrisc

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2015 :  11:24:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i dont measure the humidity an just spray when in shed.

incubate 2 campaign
Go to Top of Page

Cookie
Yearling

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2015 :  20:33:36  Show Profile  Visit Cookie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey all, been a while since I've been on. Hey Alves76, really sorry to hear he did in fact have a RI, the vets lead me to believe it was just because he was large bodied. I'm surprised he is having issues feeding because he used to eat my royals food including his own if they refused, greedy git lol And probably too late with this info but I did use a thermostat to control the temps, the one I gave you with him. I guess it must of been the RI which caused him to refuse food. Sorry again I wasn't able to take him back, my partner was adamant he was too scared to care for him while I was at Uni, otherwise he wouldn't have gone anywhere. Did David ever get in touch with you about the dwarf? Anyway I'm glad to see he is getting great care, just the type of owner I had hoped for, and glad now I refused the other offers.

1.2.0 Royal Pythons (Sebastian, Romeo & Gypsy)
Go to Top of Page

Alves76
Yearling

United Kingdom
333 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2015 :  16:57:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your reply kyle. I just read over my part and I must apologise for how it read.

What I meant was that you had the 1 thermometer and yet everything was going well for him with just that (and the thermostat which I failed to mention). And here's me with loads of stuff monitoring and he's sick. So while it looked like he was just fine in his viv as he was when he was with you, I come along and tweak left, right and centre trying to get the right conditions and I've made things worse.

Also, I don't think he was sick when he came to me. I think he was in good condition. You did a great job looking after him. I think, although I tried to do best by him, I screwed up somewhere and he's suffered as a result.

One thing is true, I've tried my best to get him better. He's now on more antibiotics and I've reduced the temp so he's regulating himself.

He's such a docile guy, he takes the injections well without a flinch. I'm glad David couldn't keep him as he's a great pet. The wife even likes him too.

Sorry again for what appeared to be a dig at you. I honestly didn't mean it to come out that way.

0.1.0 Normal Royal
1.0.0 Common BCI

Edited by - Alves76 on 26/02/2015 17:17:28
Go to Top of Page

Cookie
Yearling

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2015 :  23:03:15  Show Profile  Visit Cookie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey dude, you're OK no need to apologise. So glad he's settled in well and hopefully those antibiotics will work soon. I seen the picture on another post of Bob and your wife, great to see! :) I thought he was a very nervous snake at times and could therefore potentially strike out but it's obvious it was me who was nervous lol Something I'll need to remember for future. Thanks again for taking him, couldn't be happier he has a great home! :)

1.2.0 Royal Pythons (Sebastian, Romeo & Gypsy)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000