The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 Delayed Fertility?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Exile69 Posted - 26/07/2010 : 21:14:18
Hi Everybody,

I wonder if anybody can help me (apologies in advance if this topic has been discussed before but I didn’t know what to enter into the search string and feel free to move this to another section if it would be more appropriate).

Let me start....
I’ve had my Royal, Brian since 1991 with no real major probs, about a couple of months ago he (the significance of this will be revealed!) went off his food, with it not being the first time this has happened I wasn’t too worried as I knew his appetite would return. That was until one morning I discovered sitting him on a clutch of 5 eggs (at this point I realised that I may have been wrong to name him Brian and that I might have sexed him/her wrong LOL). Anyway, after recovering from the initial shock I decided that it wouldn’t do any harm to leave her on the eggs at least till it looked as though they were going off.

All good so far, until one morning (2 months later as it turned out to be!), I decided to remove the obviously sterile eggs and was confronted with a tiny head sticking out of one of them! Not knowing what to do or even if it was alive I left it alone. The following morning I was confronted with an apparently healthy baby python moving quite happily about the enclosure (On advice I subsequently separated it from its mother).

What I really wanted to know is;
Is this normal for Royals or Pythons in particular?
Does it happen often, or is it a strange anomaly?
Can anybody shed some light on this occurrence?

That was 2 days ago............
This morning I found the following in his tank!

What is it?
He's still active!
I did notice that he was a little plump before. Is it possible that he's regurgitated something that he injested whilst still in the egg? Or is it something more serious?
Please help!
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Exile69 Posted - 01/07/2017 : 12:31:22
Hi everybody,
In case anybody wanted to know it's not good news I'm afraid.
The eggs collapsed quite quickly and they came up duds when I candled them.
However, Brian (I named her before we discovered she was female) is eating regularly and getting her weight back up so I'm happy for that.
Exile69 Posted - 30/05/2017 : 11:59:06
Hi everybody,
Now you may not believe this but.....she's done it again!
7 yes 7 years later and still no contact with other snakes.
This is what I came down to this morning.
I can only see 1 egg at the moment, she may be laying on more but I'm not going to disturb her.
The egg is approximately 2-2.5 inces long (guessing here as I don't want to put my hand in and upset her!).

P.s. As for the other time this happened, the baby died the day after my post. Sorry I didn't come back and 'update' everybody as promised but I think I was saddened by it's death and forgot to let people know.
fiestastlou Posted - 20/10/2010 : 11:04:09
wow another interesting read thanks anatess! agree with u about the guy that said about bugsy! poor little fella! all he needed was tlc!
anatess Posted - 20/10/2010 : 03:07:45
Yeah, I was kinda p***ed at that guy who said to put bugsy in the freezer because that eye will always be a problem or some such...

Sometimes, I just don't understand people!

So, how is the OP's snake? Any updates???

I'm really interested to know what sex the baby is...
n/a Posted - 19/10/2010 : 14:40:01
That was fascinating, Anatess. I had to read the whole thread to find out what happened to 'Bugsy.' I've seen photos of an eye like Bugsy's before, on TCS - the snake was normal but then developed the swollen eyecap - in the end the eye had to be removed, sadly, but the snake is doing well; she's much loved and looks to be enjoying life. I too have a snake, little Cy (Cyclops) who hatched minus left eye and socket (I bought her because I was afraid no-one else would want her.) She seems to find it a bit bewildering sometimes, having no vision on that side, but I don't think it interferes much with her enjoyment of life - she's a little tiger! So I hope Bugsy has a long and happy life, and that goes for the rest of them.
anatess Posted - 19/10/2010 : 06:16:28
WOW! 2 incidences within months of each other! That's WILD!

This same exact thing just happened stateside! The royal was this guy's pet for 25 years. Never been near any other royal. She laid 5 eggs, 1 went bad, and the other went full term but the baby died in the egg for no apparent reason. 3 royals were born, 1 had an eye problem but otherwise thriving. All 3 babies have a completely different pattern from each other and different from the mother.

Here's the link to the thread:
http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?127721-Unexpected-Eggs

Do you know what sex the baby royal is yet?
n/a Posted - 18/10/2010 : 23:46:21
So would I! Would be nice to know if that youngster survived - hope it has.

Yeah, parthogenesis isn't so way out. And forty odd years ago I remember my parents' (sleazy) Sunday paper printing an article about 'Teenage boy gives birth!' Well, in a sense, he had - in the womb his twin had been engulfed in his chest cavity/midriff, and been finally removed. Nature does some very strange things. When I bred Siamese cats I had a girl with hormonal problems, who reabsorbed her kittens. She was mated normally (being Siamese, VERY normally!) but gave birth to one normal kitten (who didn't survive) and several foetuses, who looked like lumps of liver ... very like 'thing'.

Do hope that little snake survived after its bizarre beginnings.
fiestastlou Posted - 18/10/2010 : 14:34:34
wow this is amazing! would love to hear some updates.
nok1888 Posted - 17/10/2010 : 21:10:09
Come on m8 need to know whats happening lol is mother and baby doing well and did you find out what the "thing" is?
Kehhlyr Posted - 17/10/2010 : 18:13:16
Any more updates on this yet???
reptiledanny Posted - 07/08/2010 : 22:14:51
wow, just caught up with this thread, it is amazing, how is the little baby?? any updated news or pics??
mischang Posted - 06/08/2010 : 20:32:38
well i've been away for some time and this is the 1st thread i choose to read wow blood wow am gob smacked amazing !
AlannaJohan Posted - 29/07/2010 : 22:48:36
What an interesting turn of events. Parthenogenesis is not a concept I'd really looked into till now but it is most intriguing and would certainly explain the hatchling if not the thing. I hope everything works out well for you mum and baby. Would love you to keep us updated on their progress :)
Lettsy1 Posted - 29/07/2010 : 12:35:28
wow thats amazing! glad mum n baby are doin fine! fingers crossed for the feeding now.
Exile69 Posted - 29/07/2010 : 11:11:27
Hi All,
It does appear that that 'Parthenogenesis' is the answer. I haven't had much time to look into it at the moment but all evidence seems to be pointing in that direction.

The following is an email from Steve Slater (Senior Keeper, Discovery Trail - Reptiles & Invertebrates - West Midland Safari & Leisure Park). Thanks for putting him touch with me:
quote:
Dear Mr Alexis,
A colleague of mine took your call yesterday and I received your e mail this morning.

Royal pythons have been recorded living to over 47years and occasional parthenogenetic births to females which have not been in contact with any males have occurred in rattlesnakes, Komodo dragons and other reptiles - it is probably a survival technique for species with low numbers of males available

I am not sure what the "thing" is and of course there could be problems getting the baby snake to start feeding, it may need assist feeding the first few times.
I hope this is of help to you.
Best regards,
Steve

As of this morning the mother and baby appear fine.
I will keep you all informed
Thanks again
Carl
Lettsy1 Posted - 28/07/2010 : 21:56:59
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

quote:
Originally posted by Welly

quote:
Originally posted by STICKS

Hi there hope baby is ok going through the internet today 06.30am
maybe nothing but 18 hatchlings in eight eggs hat to have a look.
looks very similar to your friend in the freezer if you want to google snakebytestv the colume on the right 18 out of eight i think to hole forum is on the case now good luck great pics by the way baby doe's not look full normal going by the bright sadles keep us updated .

I don't wish to sound rude but i can't understand a word of that

Me either lol

There is a vid on youtube about a 'breeder' called prehistoricpets who got 18 hatchlings out of 8 eggs, they were made up of a mixture of twins and triplets, dunno bout seeing the 'thing' that came outta baby royal tho.
lee2308 Posted - 28/07/2010 : 21:41:52
quote:
Originally posted by Welly

quote:

looks very similar to your friend in the freezer if you want to google snakebytestv the colume on the right 18 out of eight i think to hole forum is on the case now good luck great pics by the way baby doe's not look full normal going by the bright sadles keep us updated .

Me either lol
Robert Posted - 28/07/2010 : 21:40:27
Well I am certainly entrigued and can't wait to find out what on earth it is !
Welly Posted - 28/07/2010 : 18:56:32
quote:

STICKS Posted - 28/07/2010 : 18:30:07

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000